Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII Crusher and Garrison Caps

MikeyB17

One of the Regulars
Cheers, Paddy!

Yes, I'm well pleased with it-I did get it from Garcia-I ordered one from Eastman, but theirs was too small and they weren't getting any more in for a few months. I prefer the Garcia, it's a lot less rigid at the front, and actually crushes a lot more disgracefully than the avatar pic shows! Cheaper too! I got Eastman's Rangoon shirt and tie, though, which is very nice, and an AN-6505-1 bag, which is my B-3's new home when not in use. All I need now is a pair of pinks-although I have a pair of Khaki's which I think I can get away with. How's your Barnstormer wearing in? I've been eyeing one up that's cheap on Aero's sale page, but I have a feeling anyone in the UK with a black Barnstormer is going to get called 'Dr Who' before too long!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Hard to tell from a photo...

It could be very cheap and nasty Martin, then again, it could be the bargain of the decade! (about £30!! for that one). Ihave seen some rather nasty repros on the ol crusher, with cheap, stiff fabric and leather that if you bent it it would crack, mmmm!! You pays your money and take your chances on a pic I guess! But if that one is half decent....'grab it!!'

Hondo

One Too Many
Excuse me for being late, joining this thread, but MikeB17, Wingnut & Wild Root? (in fact all of you in uniforms)You guys look cool, the babes I bet go for that look :cool: I hope some day to get full uniform. For now all I got is cap, Crusher is the best for me, Gregory Peck, Robert Lansing. I stand 6 ft 2" Never was in the Armed sevices (handicapped, nerve damage from auto accident) but I admire all that were espcially those in WWII with the B-17's ever since I was a young lad. My dad was in WW2 with the U.S. Navy on Okinawa, (my dad saw some of fearest fighting, wanted me to join the Navy but what do stupid kids know?) The Air Corps were my thing or hobby guys, the B17 fighter groups always were and still are a fascinating era. I loved these birds, all my childhood friends like the p51's or faster planes, but give me the B17 (and the cool clothes) any day for they were tough as nails, built to withstand so damage.
I used to be supervisor to a group of computer operators, one of my training classes had us watch "12 O'clock High" with Gregory Peck and this film is still used today management, supervisors for Leadership skills.

My operators hated my guts (laughing) but also gained respect, and not abuse power, ya know ego trips? Carry on gents, I salute you Vets one and all.

KCJones

New in Town
As a former jarhead I always preferred the garrison cover in anything other than my Blues. In those we wore the white barracks cover, something like the crusher. I never cared for the green barracks cover.

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
A crusher update

Don't have experience with the Eastman crushers, but can provide a brief update on Garcia and WWII Impressions:

GARCIA
1. They sell/sold two versions: (a) Lancaster; (b) cheaper version.
2. Lancaster has been out of stock (my size anyway) for nearly a year (both choc. and tan).
3. Had them send me a Lancaster (1/4" too small) and the cheaper version.
4. Cheaper version looked... well... cheaper. (Front was too tall.)
5. Sent them both back.
6. Have called and had several VERY NICE chats this year, but no luck on the Lancasters in my size.

WWII IMPRESSIONS
1. Their current crusher IS a Lancaster, but...
2. I think I noticed several subtle differences/improvements between the WWII Im. and the Garcia version (I could be wrong).

ANYWAY...
The Garcia Lancaster retails for $110.95 (with perhaps a discount if you don't need the eagle cap device). The WWII-Im. crusher retails for $145.00 without the cap device.

Ended up purchasing the WWII Impressions crusher. Will post some pics when my vintage aviator glasses arrive!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The crusher eagle...

With regards to the crusher eagle Zemke. I see originals come up every so often on Ebay, or you could maybe pick one up at a vintage arms market. Then attach that to your crusher. They never seem to go for that much anyway. Just an idea.

Hondo

One Too Many
I wanted to bump this thread, so I can review prior posts; I finally got my Eastman?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s (Lancaster) Crusher cap, as it took 5/6 months to reproduce in correct size, this weekend I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢ll run some test shots, photos. I want it to look as if ?¢‚Ǩ?ì50 Missions?¢‚Ǩ? but don?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t want to screw it up ($175) I am so excited; I absolutely love it, the way it fits. I want to thank all of you for helping me choose this one; I had a U.S. Wings Crusher but returned it, not satisfied, because it was too stiff, made me look like Panamanian General Manual Noriega.

MikeyB17

One of the Regulars
Zemke Fan said:
Thanks, Paddy. I have two mint eagle devices. Paid $10 for each. Still looking for the "oversize with straight wings," version.

ZF,
Like this one?

MB17

DSCF0479.jpg

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Hondo said:
I had a U.S. Wings Crusher but returned it, not satisfied, because it was too stiff, made me look like Panamanian General Manual Noriega.
Know what you mean. Bought a "cheap" one from Garcia and it made me look the same way. (They were all out of the Lancaster's that they normally sell.) I still have to break down and buy a tan crusher to go with my summer Class A uniform. Will probably go with the WWII Impressions version since I am extremely pleased with my chocolate crusher from them.

PS: Hondo, don't worry about getting that crusher shape overnight. Just wear it around the house for several weeks on end (like I did after mine arrived) and sooner than later it'll droop on its own!

ZF

Hondo

One Too Many
Hey thanks! I thought someone mentioned that, and also removing that around inside form thing (what ever you call it) so the sides sag natural. I really like the soft leather feel, wow I don?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t understand how the service people could or want to change pilot caps, these were and are great!

Hondo

One Too Many
Nothing wrong with enlisted men, my Pop was one :cool:

I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m waiting for it to cool down then strike a pose, heres my Eastmans crusher, I read about soaking it in warm water (not the leather) I think I better leave it alone, opinions?

eastmans.jpg

eastmanslancaster.jpg

Hondo

One Too Many
At the office we had local children over for ?¢‚Ǩ?ìTots on Parade?¢‚Ǩ? in honor of Halloween, their pre-school types, I thought I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢d break in my crusher and show off as ?¢‚Ǩ?ìman in uniform?¢‚Ǩ? at my age whatever works.
Not a great photo I changed photo to B/W. I ?¢‚ǨÀúm kind of John Wayne, John Belushi, Randy Quaid type all rolled into one (yuck!) Got lots of looks, it was fun, even some Moms.

hondo003.jpg

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Zemke Fan said:
Great Eagle...

Zemke, WPG has the straight winged eagle for $14. Just got mine and it looks great! I've also got a WWII tan crusher from WWII Impressions, and love it. I was planning to get both the Garcia and the WWII Impressions to compare, but got lazy and went with WWII Impressions because my buddy's elastique crusher from them was excellent. I can't get the front to lean back yet (see my avatar), but I'm working on it.

As a side note, I just recently delivered a lecture for the Desert Institute on the glider pilot training program at Condor Field here in 29 Palms, and did it in the uniform of a glider pilot circa 1943, when the program finished here at 29 Palms. I guess it was effective because a number of the people in the audience thought I was an active duty glider pilot! Guess I should make more emphasis on the living history aspect in the future!

Mike K.

One Too Many
Best 50-Mission Crush Cap??

Greetings gentlemen & ladies,
I am looking to purchase a repro officer's crush cap and would appreciate your feedback on the different ones currently being sold. I already have an original (a bit too small) and would like a repro for actually wearing. There are a number of these hats being sold (US Wings, Eastman, Garcia Aviation, etc.) and I've researched the various makers and discussion threads. Based on your experience, is any one repro hat better than the others, and if so, why? Thank you kindly.
-Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou