Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII Crusher and Garrison Caps

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
My opinions:

1. WWII Impressions (one I bought), made by Lancaster $40 more than Garcia.
  2. Garcia sells two. One also made by Lancaster, seldom in stock. (Tan crusher not cotton but worsted wool-like.) Another as described by Baggers.
  3. Eastman ?

Baggers

Practically Family
I have the one from WWII Impressions too. I tried ordering one from Garcia, but they sent me a cheapie that looked like something that would have been worn by Manuel Noriega. Besides the overall shape, the visor and straps looked like they were made from something other than leather. Very disappointing. When I brought this to their attention, I was told that the packer must have put the wrong hat in the box (?). I was told to send it back for exchange, and then waited almost a month, if I recall, for them to send the correct Lancaster model. I'm thinking the delay was due to their waiting for the shipment to arrive from the vendor. When it finally got here, I compared it to the WWII Impressions model which I had ordered right after getting the first one from Garcia and promptly returned the second Garcia cap. While both were Lancasters, it was obvious that each was made to different specs and the WWII Impressions version, in my opinion, was the better looking of the two.

Once you have it, get a period correct straight winged cap eagle and you'll be good to go!

Cheers!

Hondo

One Too Many
Baggers said:
I have the one from WWII Impressions too. I tried ordering one from Garcia, but they sent me a cheapie that looked like something that would have been worn by Manuel Noriega. Besides the overall shape, the visor and straps looked like they were made from something other than leather. Very disappointing. When I brought this to their attention, I was told that the packer must have put the wrong hat in the box (?). I was told to send it back for exchange, and then waited almost a month, if I recall, for them to send the correct Lancaster model. I'm thinking the delay was due to their waiting for the shipment to arrive from the vendor. When it finally got here, I compared it to the WWII Impressions model which I had ordered right after getting the first one from Garcia and promptly returned the second Garcia cap. While both were Lancasters, it was obvious that each was made to different specs and the WWII Impressions version, in my opinion, was the better looking of the two.

Once you have it, get a period correct straight winged cap eagle and you'll be good to go!

Cheers!

I hear ya on the Manuel Noriega look, I had a similar experience with U.S.Wings (return it) then went with Eastmens crusher, also a Lancaster, probably the same. Lancaster fits great, I love the look and feel.
Theres an old thread, has lots of info on this topic
Don't give up on Garcia, they still do an excellent job, no bodys perfect.

http://thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=1185&highlight=Hondo

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Garcia is a good vendor...

... their crushers from Lancaster at $110 sell out VERY fast. The problem with availability originates with the factory. I've dealt with Garcia on several things and they've been very nice and accomodating.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
I have the WWII Impressions khaki cotton crusher and love it. The quality is definately there, and the crown is just the right height. I need an elastique model, and I think I'm going to go with the WWII Impressions one again.

I got an aforementioned Manuel Noriega hat from US Wings, and got such horrible customer service from them that I will never do business with them again. :rage: Not under any circumstances. The hat was of really poor quality, and I ordered it while deployed. Since I was deployed, you might think that would make a difference in their return policy, but no! If they try to tell you they support the troops, don't believe a word of it! They still owe me the cost of that lousy hat! :rage:

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
USAAC hat acquired... With some questions

Well folks, here is my latest find from OFAS.
WWII Army Air Corps EM's Crusher Cap. Although I'm still on the hunt for the officers Crusher at a reasonable price as well.;)

87_1.JPG

6b_1.JPG

16_1.JPG

93_1.JPG

This is a new branch to my collection ala Douglas.

Cheers!

Dan

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Are there any of you out there that have purchased reproductions of the Officers crusher offered out there? Are there any to be had at a reasonable price in either the 'chocolate' or the 'khaki' tan? Or are there vintage militaria sellers out there on the web that carry originals in the 7 1/4 to 7 3/8 size?
Thanks for any input y'all have.

Cheers!

Dan

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
The dreaded evil-bay.

Is where I got my original. There are a few in good condition to be had now and then. Like shopping for anything else there. Keep your eyes open and watch the ones you are interested in. Looks like you got a nice one there. The first one I bought was listed as an officer's cap, but when I got it, it was enlisted. I knew because of the imprint of the enlisted insignia on the front underneath the officer's badge. :mad: The summer weight khaki colored caps are much harder to come by. Maybe due to the wear and tear they were subjected to in the Pacific theater where they were worn year round and prone to wearing out alltogether in no time.

Baggers

Practically Family
The Wingnut said:
http:www.garciaaviation.com

...probably the best repro crusher out there.

But only if they have the Lancasters in stock. I went through this with Garcia last year. Their web site has only one listing and one price, but if you order through the web and they happen to be out of stock, the order packer just tosses a very cheaply made cap (they look like something a South American dictator would wear) into the box in the hope that the buyer won't know the difference. At least this is what I think happens. When my "Hugo Chavez" special arrived and I complained, I was told that they must have packed the "wrong hat" and to send it back. I did, and then waited almost a month to get my replacement after they received their restock from Lancaster.

I finally got mine from from Juan Gonzalez at WWII Impressions who also stocks Lancaster. They had it in my size when I called and it was in my hands within a week. Also, Jerry at What Price Glory stocks a repro.

Cheers!

Baggers

Practically Family
Hondo said:
Eastman’s is identical or the same as Garcia’s as far as I can tell, both are made by Lancaster in England. I got tired waiting, searching for crusher in my size (7 3/8) and got mine from History Preservations Eastmans Lancaster crusher. You can't go wrong with either one, I love my crusher, fits, feels great ;)

http://historypreservation.com/hpassociates/eastmanlanding_2.php#rangoon

Actually, I believe Lancasters are made in California. HPA/Eastman, WWII Impressions, or Garcia (when they have them), they're all the same cap differing only in minor construction details from vendor to vendor. Just shop for the best price and service.

Cheers!

Baggers

Practically Family
Doctor Strange said:
US Wings seems to carry them too. Actually, I'm not sure that they're exactly the same ones, but the price seems to be in the same ballpark, no?

http://www.uswings.com/crushcap.asp

It's hard to say, just from the description and pictures, but it's possible. I suppose you could call and ask, but you'd need to make sure that you talked to someone who knows the stock, not some anonymous "order fulfillment" drone. ;)

From what I've read over the last couple of years, the construction details seem to differ from vendor to vendor -- pure wool or blended cap crown, bound or plain brim edge, etc. -- but evidently they're all Lancaster caps. Whether these differences are due to different vendors asking for theirs to be made in a specific way or if it's just Lanacaster making them differently from run to run, who knows?

To fine tune my previous comment, unless you're looking for a particular set of construction details, as long as it's a Lancaster just shop for the best price and service.

Cheers!

Hondo

One Too Many
Doctor Strange said:
US Wings seems to carry them too. Actually, I'm not sure that they're exactly the same ones, but the price seems to be in the same ballpark, no?

http://www.uswings.com/crushcap.asp

Warning Will Robinson, Warning! Stay clear of U.S. Wings crusher, unless as Baggers states you want the "South American dictator Hugo Chavez" look.
Its an awful cap, sure its cheaper but you'll know why once you get it!

Baggers: Thanks! I already have it, at my age the price didn't matter, I waited a long time searching for my crusher, I'm a happy man today!

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Baggers...

You have summed it up perfectly. The ONLY thing I should add is that Garcia gets its tan Lancaster crushers made in tan wool elastique and NOT the tan cotton khaki that WWII Impressions uses. This is a minor matter of little concern except for those of us who have the Summer Class A uniform and/or worsted wool officer's day-to-day uniform.

silhouette53

One of the Regulars
DanielJones said:
Are there any of you out there that have purchased reproductions of the Officers crusher offered out there? Are there any to be had at a reasonable price in either the 'chocolate' or the 'khaki' tan? Or are there vintage militaria sellers out there on the web that carry originals in the 7 1/4 to 7 3/8 size?
Thanks for any input y'all have.

Cheers!

Dan

I can only agree with everyone who has recommended the officers crusher offered by Eastman. I have one size 7 3/8 which has been worn only 2 or 3 times. I am looking to get rid of it ( a tad too small for me ) at a very reasonable price so if anyone interested then maybe you could PM me

Cheers

Colin

PS I know this should go in classifieds but ..............:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou