Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII Crusher and Garrison Caps

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
My newly acquired visor cap (not the soft billed true crusher). It could use a little minor repair, but it suits my needs and I am happy.

4393266118_5615f8c532.jpg

More pics;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27810273@N04/sets/72157623521581236/

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Dixon Cannon said:
N-B13, take off that eagle and you're 'Jake Cutter'! Two, two, two hats in one!

-dixon 'Gold Monkey' cannon

Yep! Click the link to see it without. And I can pull the support plate out to crush it even more so... THREE hats in one.

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
I nearly pulled the trigger...

On a fur felt crusher at Reading this weekend...

- Absolutely mint condition.
- Not a moth nibble within miles.
- Soft and flexible leather bill.
- Snug size 7-5/8.

That last thing was the deal killer. If it had been just 1/8 bigger!

p51

One Too Many
Just an FYI, Texas A&M University’s ROTC department wears WW2-pattern uniforms, including service hats of the right design and fabric. I got one from a buddy passing through the area years ago and it’s my primary reproduction hat. I’m sure the surplus places in College Station could turn one up.
Check out this link that has some photos: http://www.aggiecorps.org/the-corps-experience/types-of-uniforms.html It’s odd because I don’t see one of these hats being worn here, though.

Bingo

New in Town
Tricky one

I love both. But I guess the Garrison cap for me.
I think it looks better with the officers dress uniform. and it suits me better than the crusher cap.

Great question

Bingo

New in Town
Me again.
I just bought an original officers garrison cap. There is a number stamped inside on the leather sweat band, which is K-1961.
Does anyone know what this is? Is it a date?

Geronimo

One of the Regulars
People mentioned an interest in the Flying Tigers Surplus crusher, so I decided to get one for myself - a tan model in 7 1/4. It appears that they either run a bit large or my head has shrunk in the last several months (eating healthy will do that for you, I guess). Since my other 7 1/4 is also a tad large, probably the latter. Maybe I'm a 7 1/8. But with the addition of the felt pads included in my Sunbody, it fits fine.
I don't have any crushers/visor hats to compare it to, so I'm just going to post images. You can crush the bill of the hat with one hand.

Side of the cap:
IMG_0377.jpg

Front:
IMG_0375.jpg

Color comparison - black leather case versus the dark brown of the visor:
IMG_0374.jpg

Height (4.5 inches above the visor - the plate seems to extend about a half-inch above the emblem):
IMG_0397.jpg

Perforated leather sweatband, back of the plate, lining:
IMG_0386.jpg

Lining again:
IMG_0379.jpg

Other pictures:
Back of the emblem - two pins and a screw on it:
http://i360.photobucket.com/albums/oo42/ALatchley/IMG_0392.jpg
Chinstrap - fully extended (chinstrap is made of very thin leather):
http://i360.photobucket.com/albums/oo42/ALatchley/IMG_0395.jpg
Front of the hat, no emblem:
http://i360.photobucket.com/albums/oo42/ALatchley/IMG_0396.jpg
More lining details:
http://i360.photobucket.com/albums/oo42/ALatchley/IMG_0382.jpg

Old Fogey UK

One of the Regulars
Been out of The Lounge for a while but have returned to see this fascinating thread.
I've stopped wearing my original visors to WW2 shows now. Instead, I got a wrecked EM's private purchase chocolate elastique visor cap on eBay for $12. I'm fixing it up as my "show crusher".
The fibre ring and leather sweatband had split right through on both sides of the visor - I guess someone with a "big nut" had forced it on his head at some stage. However the cloth is almost perfect and only the top of the crown is lined, so it flops nicely. The visor is stiff but a nice tan brown colour and has the dome-like shape of a flexible visor. The crown is quite small diameter.
I'm canibalising an East German cap for the lacquered cardboard to repair the ring and I got a new sweatband from Al Fawcett. I'm using a British Army olive drab knitted tie for the mohair band. I had a spare wide WW2 style chinstrap in my bits and pieces box.
It's nearly finished and I'll post some pics when it is. I'm very pleased with the effect - and I'm not going to worry if it gets rained on.
I used to have a chocolate elastique officers semi-crusher by Flight Ace with a black visor and front and back straps. Sadly, I traded it without ever identifying what it was. I've never encountered another one like it.
Was it some sort of transitional cap ?
I've seen USAF transitional blue caps with brown leather fittings but never a chocolate one with black leather. I had it long before the age of repro crushers.

Otium

New in Town
Navy Equivalent?

Does anyone know of a USN equivalent of the crusher hat? I know from "Down Periscope" that they existed but I haven't seen anything online or had luck from my searches. Did find nice NOS silver officer insignias for $30 though, even in original box.

Old Fogey UK

One of the Regulars
Last summer in SC I met an 86 years old 8th Airforce B-17 waist gunner.
I got talking to him about AAF uniform fashions and he exploded the "true crusher" myth for me. According to him, wearers of ready-made crushers were looked down upon by the experienced guys. Wearing a Bancroft Flighter, etc, was the mark of "new boy" trying to look like an old sweat, whereas it was the mark of the battle experienced airman to wear what he called a "real 50 mission crusher" - in other words a mashed up, worn out, standard service cap.

kiltie

Practically Family
Geronimo said:
People mentioned an interest in the Flying Tigers Surplus crusher, so I decided to get one for myself - a tan model in 7 1/4. It appears that they either run a bit large or my head has shrunk in the last several months (eating healthy will do that for you, I guess). Since my other 7 1/4 is also a tad large, probably the latter. Maybe I'm a 7 1/8. But with the addition of the felt pads included in my Sunbody, it fits fine.
I don't have any crushers/visor hats to compare it to, so I'm just going to post images. You can crush the bill of the hat with one hand.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This looks like the same hat Garcia Aviation is offering now. If nothing else, it's well made.

Vic

One of the Regulars
novice question

I don't know a thing about Military Caps (the vintage I collect is all basically 50s Teddy Boy, 50s Rockabilly, and 30s-50s motorcycle gear).

Anyway, I was wondering about this hat. Is it a WW2 Crusher Cap? If so, assuming it's an original model, and in excellent vintage condition, what would the price range be?
9186.jpg

Thanks!!

Vic

One of the Regulars
Vic said:
I don't know a thing about Military Caps (the vintage I collect is all basically 50s Teddy Boy, 50s Rockabilly, and 30s-50s motorcycle gear).

Anyway, I was wondering about this hat. Is it a WW2 Crusher Cap? If so, assuming it's an original model, and in excellent vintage condition, what would the price range be?
9186.jpg

Thanks!!

No one here can help me with this?

Just a simple question. If anyone can take a moment to tell me an approximate value, I'd really appreciate it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy