Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII Crusher and Garrison Caps

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Mike K. said:
The biggest difference is in the woven band. If you look at enlisted visors, the top piece and the woven band are about the same color (at least on the OD versions). The band itself is also of a different weave than found on the officers visor. It doesn't have to do with the softness or "roll-ability." The style difference also coordinates with that of the dress uniform. The darker shade OD and the color contrasts (e.g. pinks & greens) in the dress uniform immediately set apart the officer from the enlisted man.
The officer's mohair braid on the hats goes all the way back to the bell crown hats introduced in the late 19th century. Army officers also wear the mohair braid on the cuffs of the service jackets to further distinguish them from the enlisted folk.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here is my U.S. Wings cap...

...after some surgery! I removed the abominable lining with the thick mesh screen that was used as a stiffener, then I inserted a foam form shaper into the crown. I still wish the brim and strap were russet color rather than sh!t brindle though - why can't they seem to get that right anyway!?

So after some struggle, I think I've got it into acceptable shape. What say ye fellows?

DSC_0092.jpg
DSC_0093a-1.jpg

-dixon cannon

Dixon Cannon

Talk about expensive....

a1a.jpg

3619 - WWII USAAF Officer's "soft-visor" Cap

http://www.ljmilitaria.com/usaf___usaaf___cap_gear.htm

3619L - label reads 7 3/8 ( actual size is at least a 7 ½ ),
made of “doeskin”, “beaver felt” or whatever the very-soft material is called,
“Eagle Brand” sold by B. Pasquale Co. 654 Mission Street, San Francisco, California,
has the early style “back-strap”, Eagle device has been heavily buffed and the “radiator shield” is worn smooth,
no hallmark on eagle ( eagle has been on the hat forever ), Near-New Condition. This is the Best Condition WWII era visored hat I have ever SEEN!
.....inquire

This one is priced at $400.00! There are a lot of nice things for millionaires and trust fund sons though!

archbury918

One of the Regulars
Gee I finally get to join the Group!!
I saw the postings on the repro crushers out there, and had to add my two cents worth.
Firstly, I'm a collector and re-enactor. doing primarily USAAF 8th AF. so,I have seen alot of caps, original and repro.
I have over 40 WWII dress caps, most mfg from era. About half of those are "crushers". That means the relaxed crown, but , more importantly, a soft visor, single ply.
Those include, Bancroft Flighter, Society Brand, and Dobbs, to name the big three
I'm proud to wear these at events, but risk damage. They are 6o+ yrs old now.
The Lancaster seems to be the predominate repro. The others have pointed out their flaws. And when next to any orig, it's obvious.

I stumbled across these Diamond Caps, a couple of months ago.
After talking with Dave, ( very easy to speak with, and collector himself), I went for the 'Pinks' version of the Flighter. Very rare in itself, but thought what -the -hell.
When I got it, I couldn't believe how great it was. I set it alongside my originals (which btw fetch near $300 for heavy wear caps). It was near impossible to tell the difference. I can't tell you how pleased I was, with all aspects of this cap, fit, construction, look.
I'm going to Duxford as well as other UK events, and this cap will come along. if any of you go to Oshkosh or Reading, I will confidently wear it.
I know he is gearing up for full production for the season.
I know he offers orig fabrics and buttons. Of course, that will limited to availability. But tells me, he has contracted suppliers for additional orders.
Mine sells for $300 with orig fabric. It's a no brainer when compared to my near mint originals.

I've got a link, that includes my 'pink'

Enjoy fellas,
Mike

http://warbirdarts.com/_wsn/page3.html

Dixon Cannon

Welcome Archbury918...

Everyone here knows the 918th at Archbury reference, I can tell you that! That makes you welcomed and appreciated and a kindred spirit indeed. Thanks for .2 on crushers, it's great information. Do share more! I too have seen lots of repros come and go - whys is it that the russet color brim and strap are so difficult to reproduce?

Let's see a photo of you in your finest!...and again, welcome to our den of iniquity!

-dixon cannon

DiamondDave

Vendor
This just in

Hello fellas,

I know that "self promotion" is bad on these forums. I am new to this so bear with me. I am the owner and sole stitcher of Diamond Cap Co. I will say only this, that I will welcome any questions and comments on the caps that I have decided to reproduce. I believe that this is a long over-looked item of gear that is absolutely crucial to the cap lover everywhere.

Thanks
David

archbury918

One of the Regulars
WWII crusher

Dixon, thank you for the kind words and gracious welcome.

In answer to the visor question, it isn't the color. Mfg co could make them green if they chose to.
It is the flex of the visor, that distinguishes the 'true crusher'. I can't speak for the technical skills needed to produce them. Seems that manufacturers just got away from doing it.

Makers like Lancaster, produce caps for security and police as well as para military organizations.
My guess would be its easier to produce a single visor for all. If there was a call to make something we would consider 'retro', they probably would. You know its all market driven.

I know this being a cap forum, there is a crossover interest to jackets. We all look for that old nostalgic look.
In jackets, the venerable A-2 made a resurgence. Companies popped up all over to meet the demand. Fortuneatly only the ones that made high quality, true to original specs have survived. Its because we demand that in our purchases and are will ing to pay for it.

Getting back to these crushers, this maker has taken the time to get it right. As mentioned in my previous post, I have many caps. I think it honest to say, some of my orig Flighters would get $500 -600 to collectors. And they are irreplaceable. I had one cap form tiny cracks in the visor last year at Oshkosh, after exposed to a light mist in the weather.
That's why I'm so excited to find something that I can wear, and adhere to looking authentic.
And it's made IN AMERICA!!

For those of you looking to contact the maker his name is:
David Howell, Tulsa, OK.
His email is:
diamonddave3@cox.net
I have a phone number as well, but, prob best to try email. He's very prompt in responding.

Again, thanks for the welcome!

Mike

FourKingTwenty

New in Town
Here are two caps I have.

2346061087_becabf4515_o.jpg

The one on the left is one of my grandfather's caps. It's a Herbert Johnson with an adjustable strap in the back.

2346112063_5c7c1b1684_o.jpg

The one on the right is one I bought when I was with my grandfather at an estate sale a few years ago. I bought it for about $20. I don't know who made it, but it's labeled "Saks Fifth Avenue." It belonged to a doctor who was a flight surgeon during the war.

2346941068_5378a28b70_o.jpg

My grandfather has another cap, and I'll try to get some pictures of it when I get a chance.

KilroyCD

One Too Many
Dixon Cannon said:
...So after some struggle, I think I've got it into acceptable shape.
Dixon, like you I did some surgery on mine a few years back to bring it to an acceptable shape. I was tired of the Central American Dictator look. Here's mine now...

100_0819.jpg

archbury918

One of the Regulars
Mike K. said:
Anyone know how common it was to leave the leather strap around the back of the visor?

I always thought the back strap was typically removed.

Mike, I can't definitively speak for when the strap was omitted from the caps.
I can tell you , it was known as a 'cavalry strap', a holdover from days when the Army's had of horses.

My guess would be it gradually was victim to shortages of material as the war progressed.

I can also say, I have seen very few Flighters with the strap. I would think it more an 'add on' item by aircrew, than something standard when purchased.

I do have price lists from tailors that offered the Bancroft Flighter for $7.50!
And the high end Luxenberg for $14.00!

If only they could be had for that now!!

Mike

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
archbury918 said:
I do have price lists from tailors that offered the Bancroft Flighter for $7.50!
And the high end Luxenberg for $14.00!

If only they could be had for that now!!

Mike

Of course $14.00 in 1941 is worth over $200 in today's (devalued) currency.

Dixon Cannon

KilroyCD said:
Dixon, like you I did some surgery on mine a few years back to bring it to an acceptable shape. I was tired of the Central American Dictator look. Here's mine now...=QUOTE]

Kilroy, nicely done sir! I guess the effort is worth it as they do look fairly nice afterwards - yours especially! Did you trim the front piece of some height inside? How 'bout the lining? I'm encouraged by your work!

-dixon cannon

Dixon Cannon

Diamond Dave!... welcome to our quanset!.. you are quite welcome here.
Believe me you will get questions galore - your caps seem to have struck
a chord here, deservedly so. They are veritable works of art!
You're the Art Fawcett of crushers!...and that is a high compliment sir!

-Dixon Cannon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steveng183