Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII souveniers and pics

zaika

One Too Many
J. M. Stovall said:
These are really great, do you suppose that B-24 is on the Ploesti Raid?

I thumbed through the pictorial histories I have from 1943, and this very picture was published...and yes, you're right! It said it was from Ploesti.

Story

I'll Lock Up
zaika said:
2359919620_b95010846b_o.png

Complete passage at -
http://books.google.com/books?id=Zi...6eg5Vq9&sig=sYZ35kcHt6XjRaKl28SJipd8TOg&hl=en

Capt. Richard Lawrence of the 64th TCG flew as co-pilot on C-47 41-18341 LADY FROM HADES, which was the lead ship following the pathfinder on Pperation GIANT III. The aircraft's crew comprised of LtCol John Cerny (pilot and 64th TCG CO), 1Lt Johhn Stewart (navigator), 1Lt Harry T Fontaine (intelligence observer), SSgt Edwin Nelson (crew chief) and Sgt James Dowd (radio operator).

zaika

One Too Many
story, that is just too cool. i'm going to have to really sit down and do more research for this and other planes. there is one p-38 (i think i posted a picture or two of it) called Yankee Clipper. or it's Yankee Clipper III. maybe those are two different planes.

i'll see what i can come up with tonight.

this is all too exciting!

Story

I'll Lock Up
zaika said:
there is one p-38 (i think i posted a picture or two of it) called Yankee Clipper. or it's Yankee Clipper III. maybe those are two different planes.

i'll see what i can come up with tonight.
this is all too exciting!
:D
I think that's a tribute to Joe DiMaggio. Ask over on one of those other forums, since you'll get alot of spurious Google responses (Boeing flying boat, etc).

zaika

One Too Many
Here are some actual things my grandfather brought home...

2363018960_922aaf343a.jpg

2363020510_c1b71d3bfd.jpg

2362188583_68c9f4ffca.jpg

i actually do have photos of vesuvius in all her glory...but i haven't scanned those yet.

2363019982_cc628a0859.jpg

2362188467_4096f18a26.jpg

GreyAndWhiteCat

Familiar Face
Spitfire complained about it, so I'm leaving a comment, I usually just look. :)

I like the pictures of the people the most, especially the potato peelers and the italien family.

Thank you for sharing :)

zaika

One Too Many
story-i have another photo of either this particular plane, or another one that could be the HE-111. i'll have to find it and put it up.

grayandwhitecat - lol you don't have to comment if you don't want to! but thank you. i'm just excited to share these photos with folks who would appreciate them as much as i do. and, no worries, i have a ton of great people pictures that i'll put up later. locals as well as soldiers.

speaking of appreciation...i spoke with my aunt about whether or not the rest of the family would appreciate a DVD of these photos and she was quite honest in saying that not many would appreciate it. can you beleive that? one of my uncles would because he loves history and stuff...but still. i can't understand how one couldn't be interested in something that their dad/grandfather had been involved in.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Zaika: This seems like a major find to me. There are many good books on the North African and Italian campaigns. You might get some suggestions here for further reading.
My theory on that cart wheeling P-38 is that a bomb went off right next to it, you can see the puff of dust, and it was flipped in the air.
It would be an interesting quest to find the family, and the "girl", in the pictures. It certainly would be less difficult than the "Can anyone identify this woman" thread. ;)
Thanks for sharing! Give us more!

zaika

One Too Many
it's becoming clearer to me that this is a better find than even i thought it would be. the more i learn, the more important it becomes.

i think i'd like to compile these photos and self publish a book of them...maybe order about 25 and have them on hand for family members who might want them. it wouldn't have much narrative, maybe some captions of photos that i can positively identify as this or that. i dunno...

i wasn't aware until yesterday that flickr has some links to some companies that will do that for you. all you need to do is fiddle with layout and such...

and all of a sudden it becomes a huge project...lol

dhermann1 - i fiddled with the idea of looking for that family. i have no idea how to start...as far as i know, no one knows their names or where they lived. by the power of grayskull...erm...sorry :p by the power of the internet, perhaps i shall get lucky!!

Rufus

Practically Family
Zaika... thanks for all the photos.... what a treasure trove.

My grandfather methodically destroyed all his paperwork/photos etc in a 'burnup' shortly before he died, as he felt that sorting them out would be a burden for others....aaaargh.

You are lucky that your family didn't inherit the pyromaniac gene..

Now... where's those matches?!

;-) rufus

zaika

One Too Many
rufus - i'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your grandfather AND all those photos! uh...and...no matches for you!!

my family has the "pack rat" gene that quickly turns to mass purging when it becomes too much. guess i got lucky as my grandmother was ready to dump it all. :eek: i told her right away that if she feels she needs to get rid of something, to let me know as i might like to take it off her hands. and if not, at least help her dump it. lol

she's already given away records, clothing, sewing patterns, and other boxes of photos in the last few years. :eusa_doh:

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
zaika said:
... by the power of grayskull...erm...sorry :p ...

:eek:fftopic: The "power of grayskull". Is that a He Man reference? If so, I haven't heard (or even thought) about that cartoon in years. My son, who is now 29 years old, was a huge He Man fan when he was little. He used to dress up and play He Man. I'd tell him "how does He Man call Battle Cat?" - "He says here kitty, here kitty." My son used to get so mad when I joked with him about his hero.

Gee, I haven't thought about that in years. Thanks for the memory jog.

ethanedwards

One of the Regulars
Rufus said:
Zaika... thanks for all the photos.... what a treasure trove.

My grandfather methodically destroyed all his paperwork/photos etc in a 'burnup' shortly before he died, as he felt that sorting them out would be a burden for others....aaaargh.

You are lucky that your family didn't inherit the pyromaniac gene..

Now... where's those matches?!

;-) rufus

I seem to remember that Guy Gibson's wife burned a lot of his paperwork and his first Log Book when she was moving house....

Story

I'll Lock Up
zaika said:
story-i have another photo of either this particular plane, or another one that could be the HE-111. i'll have to find it and put it up.

Please do. My S.W.A.G. was based on the opening in the fuselage that looks like the outline of the HE-111 dorsal gunner's canopy.

Too many model planes as a kid.

zaika

One Too Many
Big Man said:
:eek:fftopic: The "power of grayskull". Is that a He Man reference? If so, I haven't heard (or even thought) about that cartoon in years. My son, who is now 29 years old, was a huge He Man fan when he was little. He used to dress up and play He Man. I'd tell him "how does He Man call Battle Cat?" - "He says here kitty, here kitty." My son used to get so mad when I joked with him about his hero.

Gee, I haven't thought about that in years. Thanks for the memory jog.

Ha! Glad to oblige. lol
I was a huge tomboy, and used to watch He-Man as a kid. As well as GI Joe and the Transformers...and the reruns of the Justice League, Space Ghost, etc...I'm about the same age as your son. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner