Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII souveniers and pics

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wow. We have to wonder how many families have memorabilia such as this all around the nation that may get trashed or already has been.:eek:

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Twitch said:
Wow. We have to wonder how many families have memorabilia such as this all around the nation that may get trashed or already has been.:eek:

Probably quite a few Twitch.

I've met a number (even from my own family) whose experiences were too traumatic and so they got rid of everything which was a reminder. For us who are interested in the history it's terrible but saying that, you cannot blame some of them. Some just wanted to forget.

Story

I'll Lock Up
zaika said:
story, i think this is the plane...?

Yup, that's a HE-111 too. Probably a different hulk at the same field, it's sitting on the level while the first appears to be on an angle.

zaika

One Too Many
wow. thanks to everyone for your appreciation! this has been an all consuming thing this past week...and there will be more. either i'm easily impressed, or the photos i'm scanning are truly some great pieces of history. it might have to do, also, with the fact that i know nothing about the mediterranean theatre of the war...so there is just a lot to learn.

i am loading ALL of the photos to my flickr account. i'll get the link to that particular collection up shortly, so then you can peruse everything if you so wish.

about the tossing of memorabilia, Smithy, i think you're right. the way my grandmother hedged my questions and the way she didn't much care about what happened to these photos was quite telling...that and she flat out said that during the war she refused to read a newspaper, listen to the news, or see the newsreels. seeing as she was busy in nursing school, it was probably not so hard to avoid...but talk about wanting to forget.

to be honest...if it was me during such a scary time, i'd probably want to forget and move on, too.

more photos are on the way.

now here's a question. i have these photos of a public...i guess, lynching. it's pretty gruesome, as there are about five people strung up by their heels in two of the photos, and in the third the street is littered with their bodies. would that be too much to post here? i can post a link with a warning...but i'm curious to see if anyone might know or recognize the event. that should be up later tonight.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
zaika said:
...now here's a question. i have these photos of a public...i guess, lynching. it's pretty gruesome, as there are about five people strung up by their heels in two of the photos, and in the third the street is littered with their bodies. would that be too much to post here? i can post a link with a warning...but i'm curious to see if anyone might know or recognize the event. that should be up later tonight.

I'd say go ahead and post the pictures. People need to be reminded that WAR is a terrible business, and not just cool uniforms and Glenn Miller music.

Those photos you have may possibly be the ones Mussolini's lynching.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
zaika said:
now here's a question. i have these photos of a public...i guess, lynching. it's pretty gruesome, as there are about five people strung up by their heels in two of the photos, and in the third the street is littered with their bodies. would that be too much to post here? i can post a link with a warning...but i'm curious to see if anyone might know or recognize the event. that should be up later tonight.

Please don't post the pictures here directly. I think a link with a very clear warning about where the link goes and what will be seen may be OK.

(Big Man: That was my thought also, the photos from the end of the Mussolinis)

zaika

One Too Many
scotrace said:
Please don't post the pictures here directly. I think a link with a very clear warning about where the link goes and what will be seen may be OK.

(Big Man: That was my thought also, the photos from the end of the Mussolinis)

boy, you're quick. i was just looking for who the bartender was to ask about it.
but, absolutely. after thinking about it, i wasn't too comfortable with having them directly on the thread.
thanks for the direction!

oh...and since i'm always forgetting about The Google...i did an image search...and the lynching photos I have ARE of Mussolini, albiet, not as crisp as the ones i saw online just now.

...very gruesome and very sobering.

i will posting a link with a warning later tonight.

zaika

One Too Many
okey dokey....
it's a bit macabre to have these in my personal flickr account, but it's an important part of history. i think i might throw money at a separate account just for this project.
anyhoo...below is the link to the Mussolini pics. i did a bit of research, and, sorry but i didn't know this, but these are the public display of his corpse along with his mistress and his...i guess henchman if i want to be melodramatic about it. i guess they had been dead for a couple of days before this. i found a few newsreels on youtube of the crowds taking the opportunity to throw rocks at the bodies, among other things. it was quite intense to see.
there are a lot of pics on the internet of the scene, so it's good to at least confirm that what i have is really of this event.
CONSIDER THIS ADEQUATE WARNING: The photos are a bit graphic. So, if you are sensitive to seeing dead bodies and the desecration of...DON'T click on the following link.
For those who are curious...take a gander.

pamina

Familiar Face
yes i have a "macabre" pic too. my grand-uncle was in russia and so he took after a big fight a picture of the battlefield. first of all i thought it is a camp ... but nobody sleeps with a broken helmet on ... it made me cry, because the men were lying everywere as far as you can see - still to the horizon ... =(
but i can't understand how he get this picture through the borders ...

DutchIndo

A-List Customer
It sounds like the picture is the one of Mussolini and his mistress strung by their feet. They were capture by partisans and had the crap beat out of them. I've seen the pictures it seems most of the vets of that theater had a copy. Mussolini's head was pretty distended and deformed. The photo's of the Tech 4 is great. I just put together a Class A in that rank albeit 8th AF.
It is a great reference photo what was his duty there ? I would like to know so I can use it with my impression.

zaika

One Too Many
pamina that sounds like a fascinating, sobering photo. i bet everyone was too tired at the borders to care about a photo...

DutchIndo- yeah, i was amazed by how many similar photos were on the internet. i thought i had stumbled onto something special. [huh] lol hadn't Mussolini been deceased for a few days prior to them displaying his corpse like that? yeah...
you'll have to forgive me...but what's a Tech 4? :eek:
my grandfather, from what little i could get out my grandmother, worked in the supply rooms of his reconnaisance squadron. which might explain how he got a hold of all the pictures. ;)

DutchIndo

A-List Customer
Zaika, sorry about that a Tech 4 is those stripes he is wearing with a "T" under them. It means he had some technical skills a mechanic or welder or something. Yes from what I read Mussolini was captured by partisans. One Partisan grabbed a Sten Gun (sub machine gun) pointed at him and it misfired
so grabbed another one and that misfired ! The whole time Benito just sat there stunned so finally the partisan grabbed a pistol and it worked. I am not sure how his mistress died. The crowd went crazy and dishonored his and his mistresses body then hung him up. The pictures are disturbing funny how things don't change as you still see things like that today.

DutchIndo

A-List Customer
Pamina she probably was but I am not sure. I read the account some years ago. Benito Mussolini was I think one of the most pompous egotistical leader in WWII. I don't know why but it is reflected in photo's and newsreel footage. He was a real Ham.

pamina

Familiar Face
he was a fascist. they all were egoists. like absolutism - the same in green ( our english teacher would say it in that way : se same in se greeeeen ^^ )

DutchIndo said:
Pamina she probably was but I am not sure. I read the account some years ago. Benito Mussolini was I think one of the most pompous egotistical leader in WWII. I don't know why but it is reflected in photo's and newsreel footage. He was a real Ham.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner