Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

yet another Gary White....

Zane

Suspended
Thank you Mk, I will certainly attempt to find other venues to subside my incredible desire to write in and try to lessen the length of my post here.

gcollins

One of the Regulars
Gentlemen:

I tip my hat to all. I just love the discussion. I have been dealing in antique wooden flutes (Rudall & Rose, primarily) for quite some time, and with the modern makers that flute players like, we deal with the same issues we are dealing with here.

With one notable exception....

...the makers are usually lurkers, not contributors. It is often a good policy of the moderators to not let people advertise their own products except perhaps once a month. And of course the best don't even play because they're too busy managing their backlog.

I don't think I can be ostracized, I'm a positive guy! I welcome everyone's opinion. I'm not here to prove anything. I just like a nice hat. And...I know what Zane is doing and what Panama Bob is doing, but who cares...they are free to express and communicate! Right on! You all live in the USA, it seems, so enjoy! We could be dying in Iraq.

I'm travelling on soon to Japan and USA soon, but when I return I'll try to post some cool pictures for you all of a high end GENUINE BB panama hat. It is a brand, and an awesome one. Deal with it, we all know it. Just love the hats and enjoy. If you want to do business, learn the marketing skills that make people like Brent Black make a ton of money from people who wants his hats or his brand. He supports a foundation to help the weavers as well--health care I believe, and that is cool.

It is always easy to criticize the guys who market their product the best to the high end customer. Sell outs! Every industry deals with this interesting dynamic. Like the guy who works so hard at getting As in school pissed off and wondering why the C students have become so successful.

But, hey, business in the hat business is hard enough. Celebrate and learn from the guy who makes a buck doing what he loves. Nothing wrong with that. We should al be so lucky.

Regards,
G

Fedora

Vendor
I can't speak for everyone else.....but there is no way I am going to read your posts if you make them that long. I have skipped over the past 4 or 5 due to length. My guess is that others are doing the same.

And, I might add that I am glad he is not speaking for everyone else.LOL I really enjoy those long posts Zane as they are chock full of info about felt, hats, suppliers, etc. We (I) don't get that quality of info here often, or at COW or TLP. Most hatters don't share. You offer an insight into the world of hatmaking, and hatters. I, for one appreciate it. Of course, I also realize that some folks could care less about this stuff. They, don't have to read it. ;) I have read your posts, and I think you have been civil. I can't say that about some of the members here. My advice (not that you need it) is to stay the course and ignore the detractors. Agendas are involved, but that is human nature. You know all of this of course. Those folks will never listen, but many others will. So, call a spade a spade, in a constructive way. Cream will always rise to the top. For me, I will always trust what an old time hatter says over the johnny come latelys. Luther's dad(I think that is what you said) was an old time hatter who lived back when hats were in vogue and actually experienced the time of high quality hand made hats. You have a link to the past through Charlie and Luther. That is priceless. I know of no one else except Mr Peters at Peters Bros who can reach back and touch that time. I trust what you say completely. Why? Because it all makes sense and is logical, and goes along with what I already knew. You have done nothing but reinforce what I had already read in my search. I hope you hang around. regards Fedora

Zane

Suspended
Fedora, I would love to remain and post appropriate postings where I fell they may be helpful to some. I understand others will pass reading the lengthy post I write and certainly will lose nothing in doing so as they do not need this knowledge or cannot use it.

I also understand many have chosen a hatter of choice and have no need to consider any other as they are content. I do not choose to convert them to any other hatter and maybe let them risk being discontented.

I have tried in all good faith to ignore the folks that constantly and chronically show their lack of intelligence and respect of others but wish they would consider another method that would benefit them more by spiritually and in their business concerns. I know it may be hard for you to understand why I would concern for these individuals when they seek to insult me only and I know they certainly cannot understand my continued support of them as they act ugly towards me but I feel that if I can show them a better way to treat their fellow man then the entire world may improve.

G, hit the nail on the head when he said it here we are arguing about hats or vendors or just taking personality hits for not good cause and people in Iraq are dying.

For me it is sad that these folks could have such a harmonious life and instead choose spend their time in anguish and trying to find ways to hurt another person. I simply cannot understand such a vengeful attitude. Is forgiveness a bad thing ? If not why not seek it.

gcollins

One of the Regulars
I changed my avatar. Check out the design of the BB aficionado panama. Totally cool or what?

Actually, the design was created by Trent Johnson of Greeley Hat Works in Colorodo. I have a black 100% black beaver in the same design coming soon. Awesome. Not 1940's but awesome.

I also want a Bogie with the tight front crease, should I get an Optimo? I only want 100% beaver. How about the gladhatter, Zane?

Regards,
G

Zane

Suspended
I know that Optimo created a smashing looking Bogie for MK. To be honest in past I never thought Gladhatter was the stylish I would choose for a really fine hat but I have had the privilege of seeing some of his hats recently and now that he has actually started hand crafting them him self personally again I have to say they were all very nice. I have seen him recreate some extremely complex movie hats over past and saw pictures of many of his hats by email. All looked really fine.

He said he was working with a few other hatters in recent past to just block out some hats but they simply were not turning out to suit him and he will be doing all the custom and ultra customs in the future in shop.

He indicated he may or may not pursue the western end and if he does he may or may not block them in shop.

I know he does not have a full shop of modern equipment but has much on order but then again he never used modern equipment to produce the master crafted hats so this will not inhibit his abilities any.

I am actually going over to meet with him shortly and hope to find him there.

He informs me he reads post on all forums and stays aware of the goings on. I only hope he will realize my advocacy for his hats and craftsmanship and allow me any position yet again with his firm.

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
I'm sorry for trying to come off as advertising...put my posts down in the Classifieds please.

Please, feel free to spend your money how you'd like, but the truth is a Montecristi is a Montecristi and since the hats have been woven now for over 500 years we are all Johnny Come Latelies, except for the few families in the weaving neighborhoods.

Mr. Black knows me well enough to know I don't knock his product and he knows me well enough to know that I've wanted out of the business a long time and he knows me well enough that if we make $10.00 off of a hat we are happy because $10.00 goes a long way in Ecuador.

The fact is, when you get down to it, the hat is the hat and that isn't going to change.

Too many drum up the fact that the weaving is falling by the wayside...well of course it is when you price the hats out of proportion to their cost.

Our goals:

1) Sustainable and honorable work for my wife's family and some friends, and keeping the weavers weaving.

2) Helping the English Department of Centro Educativo Genesis.

Fedora

Vendor
Montecristi is a Montecristi and since the hats have been woven now for over 500 years we are all Johnny Come Latelies, except for the few families in the weaving neighborhoods.

Oops. You misunderstand me. I was not referring to panama hats. Only felt hats.:D Sorry.

Too many drum up the fact that the weaving is falling by the wayside...well of course it is when you price the hats out of proportion to their cost.

This has always peeved me. The pricing that most hatters have th nerve to charge for these fine hats. I think you are doing a great service in that you are the most reasonable person that I have seen selling these hats. Keep it up. regards Fedora

gcollins

One of the Regulars
Hi Bob:

I'm from Seattle originally, and when I grew up you had starbucks, seattle's best coffee and Tully's on the same block selling $0.30 coffee. No big deal. The rain was enough to draw people in.

But...Starbucks caught on to something, and changed the industry. They started educating people about lattes and mochas--stuff that Yanks had no clue about. But the NW was a a place where people read books and saw movies, where they spent time inside. They changed coffee from a $0.30 commodity to a l$3.00 uxury. They managed thier public, their vendors and roasters. That's the game my friend., in any business. If you position yourself as the low end guy helping the weavers...you could also be positioning yourself as the high end guy who sets up a Monticristi Foundation to provide healthcare to the weavers. All part of the game, bro. Both are fabulous and I love you for what you are doing.

I'm sure you do a great job and have noble intentions...and even better at local actions. But welcome to the world of business.

So...last time you checked, you were in the wrong library...

Monticristi is only a Monticristi if that's your business model. Monticristi is not ONLY a Monticristi if you can position yourself in a market that is high end enough to buy into it and pay your prices for exquisite work and great customer service.

Deal with it. Reality sandwich, take a bite my friend.

P.S. I want to buy a hat from you!

Regards,
G

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
Nobleness is not my intention.

My vocation/avocation is education, not hats.

As I've stated, we just sell the hats to give my wife's family and some friends a job and to keep the weavers plying their craft. Also, here, we give the everyday man a chance to buy the art.

Please donate to the Montecristi Foundation...

www.panamahats.org

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy