Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You know you are getting old when:

Electric car proponents never talk about that stuff.
There are definitely people out there who seem to conveniently ignore the reports that state the production of a single electric car--from mining the necessary materials to disposing of the non-recyclable materials after they've outlived their usefulness--creates far more pollution than a combustion engine vehicle will in 10 years of being driven daily. It tends to make them sound like extremist conspiracy theorists. "But we're saving the planet!" No you aren't; you're trying to save your current way of life on the planet. The planet was here long before we showed up like a vermin infestation, and it'll probably be here in one form or another long after we're gone. Humans, on the other hand...

There are definitely people out there who seem to conveniently ignore the reports that state the production of a single electric car--from mining the necessary materials to disposing of the non-recyclable materials after they've outlived their usefulness--creates far more pollution than a combustion engine vehicle will in 10 years of being driven daily. It tends to make them sound like extremist conspiracy theorists. "But we're saving the planet!" No you aren't; you're trying to save your current way of life on the planet. The planet was here long before we showed up like a vermin infestation, and it'll probably be here in one form or another long after we're gone. Humans, on the other hand...
Winner winner, chicken dinner [emoji14]

Electric car proponents never talk about that stuff.

My question going back decades is how the electricity to charge the batteries would be generated. If by burning coal, well, that's hardly green of us. But if by solar or wind generation? Whole nuther matter.

Whatever its source, powering by electricity the majority of motor vehicles on the road in this country -- many, many millions of them --will take a whole lotta juice.

My question going back decades is how the electricity to charge the batteries would be generated. If by burning coal, well, that's hardly green of us. But if by solar or wind generation? Whole nuther matter.

Whatever its source, powering by electricity the majority of motor vehicles on the road in this country -- many, many millions of them --will take a whole lotta juice.
Which will be reflected in everyones energy bills [emoji20]

I actually just did an eye roll after reading this. Apple, eh? Oh good. [emoji19]

Why?

My aim here isn't to prevail in some dispute over the future of transportation. But there's little denying that electric cars are becoming more and more common, and realistic indications are that the trend will continue. It does no good to dismiss the challenges that presents, because it certainly isn't all to the good.

I'm not "conveniently disregarding" those potential downsides. But I detect some here almost cavalierly dismissing the great benefit of this emerging technology.

Why?

My aim here isn't to prevail in some dispute over the future of transportation. But there's little denying that electric cars are becoming more and more common, and realistic indications are that the trend will continue. It does no good to dismiss the challenges that presents, because it certainly isn't all to the good.

I'm not "conveniently disregarding" those potential downsides. But I detect some here almost cavalierly dismissing the great benefit of this emerging technology.
Dont get me wrong, I am all for alternative fuels, I just have a hard time seeing how electricity (other than solar or wind or what have you) is the right answer.

More energy consumption from the electric car charger ports at places like Target, WalMart, Safeway, etc will drive up their electric bills, hence driving up prices of the goods they sell. Not to mention the cost of installing such charging stations. Maybe I am wrong. Honestly, I hope that I am.

Which will be reflected in everyones energy bills [emoji20]

Provided you aren't generating your own, on your rooftop.

Although I'll admit to being rubbed the wrong way by the "free" electric car charging stations I see popping up in parking garages. Yeah, "free" to the owner of the car being charged, who, in all likelihood, is at least fairly well-to-do, considering that he or she owns a late-model electric car. But the schmos paying to park their 15-year-old gas-burning beaters in the garage are subsidizing that "free" electricity.

Provided you aren't generating your own, on your rooftop.

Although I'll admit to being rubbed the wrong way by the "free" electric car charging stations I see popping up in parking garages. Yeah, "free" to the owner of the car being charged, who, in all likelihood, is at least fairly well-to-do, considering that he or she owns a late-model electric car. But the schmos paying to park their 15-year-old gas-burning beaters in the garage are subsidizing that "free" electricity.

Try 47 year old gas burning beater :D

Try 47 year old gas burning beater :D

You talkin' that Mustang Mach 1?

Is that your daily driver?

Among my reservations in acquiring another "interesting" car is fearing what might happen to it out there on those mean streets.

This is apparently a common concern among collectible car owners, judging by when those old chariots are most likely to be sighted in their natural habitat, which is sunny Sunday afternoons, when traffic is light and visibility is good and those other motorists are least likely to be inebriated (provided they went easy on the Communion wine).

You talkin' that Mustang Mach 1?

Is that your daily driver?

Among my reservations in acquiring another "interesting" car is fearing what might happen to it out there on those mean streets.

This is apparently a common concern among collectible car owners, judging by when those old chariots are most likely to be sighted in their natural habitat, which is sunny Sunday afternoons, when traffic is light and visibility is good and those other motorists are least likely to be inebriated (provided they went easy on the Communion wine).
I drive the snot out of that thing. I do always worry about some clown rear ending me, being in the area where I live, but I can't let that stop me from doing it. She hasn't been molested while sitting in parking lots and the such, but that's just because she looks a little rough (which is the way I like it). If its a super nice looking eye catcher, it attracts the wrong attention (in my opinion). No reason to have a sunny day driver. I like the look of, "the guy that owns that my beat my a$$ if I touch it", kind of thing. Its in good shape, but not good enough to attract unwanted attention, if you know what I mean.

...I'm not "conveniently disregarding" those potential downsides. But I detect some here almost cavalierly dismissing the great benefit of this emerging technology.
The key phrase in your statement is "emerging technology". I don't have any problems with the concept of alternate fuel vehicles, but the technology just isn't there yet for them to become a feasible replacement for what most of us have now. Stupid example: Right now I could jump in my truck with a full tank of gas and drive to Las Vegas, a trip of roughly 260 miles, without stopping for gas. Based on personal experience, that trip would take about six hours, give or take. But if I had an average modern electric car with a range of barely over 100 miles, during that same trip I'd have to stop twice and wait anywhere from 30 minutes to 12 hours for the batteries to recharge. Worst case scenario, I'm adding a full day to a six-hour trip. I don't call that feasible or practical. Granted, there are hybrid vehicles out there that could make the trip, but the average price for one is at least $10,000 more than what it would cost if I had to replace my truck right now with the newest model. I don't know about you folks, but I don't have that kind of spare cash laying around. Surely there will come a time when the technology and the cost will be comparable, but I don't know if that will be within my lifetime.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Rumor is that Apple is looking into the automobile biz.
Apple? I would have thought that Orange would have been easier on the juice.
outspan.JPG

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up

Yep, Apple is indeed experimenting with electric, driverless cars. They will be programmable with the latest iPhones which will no doubt have to be upgraded every year & you'll have to have it serviced & repaired in iCar garages. 2019 should see the first prototypes hit the roads & Apple has promised to try to keep pedestrian casualties to a minimum.

Ten thousand comedians out of work.

How many pedestrians were struck by petroleum-burning cars with human operators in the past, say, 24 hours? Or the past hour? Or 10 minutes?

The key phrase in your statement is "emerging technology". I don't have any problems with the concept of alternate fuel vehicles, but the technology just isn't there yet for them to become a feasible replacement for what most of us have now. Stupid example: Right now I could jump in my truck with a full tank of gas and drive to Las Vegas, a trip of roughly 260 miles, without stopping for gas. Based on personal experience, that trip would take about six hours, give or take. But if I had an average modern electric car with a range of barely over 100 miles, during that same trip I'd have to stop twice and wait anywhere from 30 minutes to 12 hours for the batteries to recharge. Worst case scenario, I'm adding a full day to a six-hour trip. I don't call that feasible or practical. Granted, there are hybrid vehicles out there that could make the trip, but the average price for one is at least $10,000 more than what it would cost if I had to replace my truck right now with the newest model. I don't know about you folks, but I don't have that kind of spare cash laying around. Surely there will come a time when the technology and the cost will be comparable, but I don't know if that will be within my lifetime.

Early automobiles were rich peoples' toys. They were hardly practical for the common person, and not just because of price. The infrastructure -- fuel stations, for instance -- wasn't there yet.

The electric cars of 2018 are considerably more practical and affordable to the common person than were the automobiles of the turn of the 20th century. Let's see what the next couple decades bring. Better batteries, faster charging. Or swapping out depleted batteries for ones with fresh charges in a matter of minutes, perhaps? I dunno. But don't bet against electric cars being an increasingly common sight, and being of more utility to more people.

We can't continue burning petroleum forever. It borders on sophistry to highlight the shortcomings of the currently available electric cars while disregarding the very real cost to the health of the planet and its living inhabitants by burning fossil fuels.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Well, the cars themselves certainly seem "legit."

Oh goody, even more people driving cars that don't know jack about how they work.
Yep, Apple is indeed experimenting with electric, driverless cars. They will be programmable with the latest iPhones which will no doubt have to be upgraded every year & you'll have to have it serviced & repaired in iCar garages. 2019 should see the first prototypes hit the roads & Apple has promised to try to keep pedestrian casualties to a minimum.

When each new generation of the icar comes out, will people be standing in long lines outside Apple stores to purchase them?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails