Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You know you are getting old when:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
A friend of mine was selling his Jaguar XK150 Coupe, I had no trouble getting in, but getting out, I nearly needed the local fire department to get the jaws of life! Low and a small door does not mix well.

Drove a ’79 MGB Roadster "when I was able” to climb in & out without thinking about it.

NOTE : Heavy emphasis on “when I was able “ :D

It just dawned on me ....

I do more thinking now than ever before when attempting
any physical action.

And I do mean “any” physical action!

Like..... is it really worth the effort? :(

Last edited:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
You know you are getting old when:

There were no smartphones and selfies was not in your vocabulary.
313na0l.jpg

You took the roll of film to the nearest photo lab.
It took a day or so to develop with the hope that you
got some good shots. I was lucky to get one! :D

It amazes me how quickly people adopt new technologies. Smartphones are now considered almost a necessity. It wasn't but a few years ago that most of us wondered why we might ever need for such a thing.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
It amazes me how quickly people adopt new technologies. Smartphones are now considered almost a necessity. It wasn't but a few years ago that most of us wondered why we might ever need for such a thing.

I rarely talk for a long time and hardly text on the smartphone.

It comes in handy when driving and in case my truck breaks down I can call for help.

What I miss about the old telephones is being able to dial the number & talk to a human right away.
Also when I answered the telephone, it was simply “hello”.

With the smartphone, I automatically answer with “hello, can you hear me?”.

Another great one!!:

You are getting old, when you know well the old term "Pattentaschen" (flap-pockets) and you like to get and have got jackets with them. :D

For me, the smart phone is less about being a phone (I've never liked talking on the phone), but it is basically a small portable computer with web access. It is an incredible tool to have in your pocket.

For me, the smart phone is less about being a phone (I've never liked talking on the phone), but it is basically a small portable computer with web access. It is an incredible tool to have in your pocket.

Sure is! I'm not saying that all that convenience doesn't come at a price, but there's no denying the utility of the things. Yesterday afternoon the missus and I gave a lift to some new work acquaintances of hers, to a destination none of us had ever been before. In a matter of seconds my phone told me its address and provided a map, and showed me where on that map we were and tracked our progress to our destination. I can't recall when I last ask for or gave driving directions.

Sure is! I'm not saying that all that convenience doesn't come at a price, but there's no denying the utility of the things. Yesterday afternoon the missus and I gave a lift to some new work acquaintances of hers, to a destination none of us had ever been before. In a matter of seconds my phone told me its address and provided a map, and showed me where on that map we were and tracked our progress to our destination. I can't recall when I last ask for or gave driving directions.

Now, you're location is tracked and you will be observed by motion-profile... :D

Exactly my biggest concern about such things. The price you pay for that convenience is the Boys knowing every move you make.

If you truly mean the Boys from Marketing - I don't care, I know their game and how not to play. If you mean the gov't, as a future dictator, I think you'll enjoy having more information on your subjects.

Exactly my biggest concern about such things. The price you pay for that convenience is the Boys knowing every move you make.

And the cops, which isn't ALL bad.

People point to numerous factors contributing to a long and steady (pretty much) decline in crime rates. Just which of those factors they choose to illuminate often tells us more about them than the matter at hand.

What I don't hear cited (or studied) enough is the effect of surveillance. It's not just video recorders EVERYWHERE (I now accept that whenever I venture out I am leaving visual evidence of my having been there), but these things the majority of us now carry almost everywhere we go.

Smart crooks (yes, there are such people) calculate their chances of getting away with their illicit deeds. And smart crooks know that their smartphones can destroy an alibi.

Last edited:

Rumor Control

New in Town
I remember building a crystal radio set and attaching the antenna to the radiator in my apartment for a ground connection. When I bought my 2005 Jeep wrangler with manual windows (still have it) I waited four months for the satellite radio because I wanted it dealer installed. Still amazed a satellite orbiting 25000 miles is beaming a signal to me for $11 a month.

... Still amazed a satellite orbiting 25000 miles is beaming a signal to me for $11 a month.

You captured it well: every once in awhile, I'll stop and think about the amazing day-to-day technology most of us take for granted after it's been around a bit.

As I sat annoyed the other day that Netflix streaming was a bit slow, I then remembered the crazy, incredible technology that was allowing me to see a full season of "The Blacklist" at will, without commercials and being only a very tiny part of the $10 a month fee (which includes both unlimited streaming on multiple devises and a dvd plan as well) I pay Netflix.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
You know what's neat? Coast to coast reception on a UX-200A gas detector tube in a regenerative circuit. Nothing but a few simple bits of wire and metal in a box.

(And unless I'm blooping, nobody even knows I'm there.)

Seriously, though, we're terribly jaded today when it comes to technology. But imagine what it must've been like in 1923, say, for someone born during the presidency of Andrew Jackson to put on headphones and hear a violin playing from Schenectady. There were religious groups in the twenties which taught that radio was a specific instrument of God brought to bear at that specific time to carry his message -- and it's not hard to understand why they believed that when you put it into context.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
You know what's neat? Coast to coast reception on a UX-200A gas detector tube in a regenerative circuit. Nothing but a few simple bits of wire and metal in a box.

(And unless I'm blooping, nobody even knows I'm there.)

Seriously, though, we're terribly jaded today when it comes to technology. But imagine what it must've been like in 1923, say, for someone born during the presidency of Andrew Jackson to put on headphones and hear a violin playing from Schenectady. There were religious groups in the twenties which taught that radio was a specific instrument of God brought to bear at that specific time to carry his message -- and it's not hard to understand why they believed that when you put it into context.
I don't know about radio, but the personal computer was given to us by God, also known as The Great Woz! ;)
Steve_Wozniak_2012_zpsates5ozk.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner