Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your FAVE 'Golden Era' Picture Ads.

Warbaby

One Too Many
Forgotten Man said:
Wow, that's amazing! You know, some ads of the 20's were true art! I tend to love most advertising art of the 20's to the 40's more then the actual art of the time. lol

I'm with you 100% on that. In those pre-Photoshop days, the illustrations were originally done as oil or watercolor paintings. I wonder where they all went? I'd love to get my hands on some of those original works.

Here's another that's very painterly...

adPierceArrow_1920Fcr.jpg

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
I look at those paintings and sigh... I almost wish I could jump in and live there! Ya know what I mean? Some of the fruit crate labels I posted earlier give me that feeling... and the last one you posted does the same thing to me! Such sweeping clouds, perfect road conditions... ahhhhhh, nice!

I really wish people would paint and illustrate ads again... this high speed, “have it now” world we live in is missing quality.

Warbaby

One Too Many
In 1920, the Victor Talking Machine Company took a dignified, conservative approach in their advertising:

adVictrola1920.jpg

While the Columbia Graphonola was advertised in glorious color with a lady who, though scantily-clad, is nonetheless virtuous because she is singing opera...

adColumbia1_1920.jpg

Warbaby

One Too Many
Just to keep this thread from fading into obscurity...

Here are two Coca-Cola ads, one from 1917 and one from 1923, that show not only a change in advertising style but reflect the changing roles of women in only 5 years.

adCocaCola_July1917.jpg

adCocaCola6_1923.jpg

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
The "Other" Whippet

Here are a couple I've just found - vintage brochure art for the Willys Whippet.

Willys_Whippet_coupe.jpg

Willys_Whippet_roadster.jpg

Less famous than the Model 77 and Americar, the Whippet was a favorite taxicab in LA between the wars and commonly had its streamlined grille shell stolen by dry lakes racers for use on Model T Fords.

Isn't it interesting how the artist managed to make the small and inexpensive Willys look like a car of sophistication and class?

-Dave

Warbaby

One Too Many
Beautiful artwork on those Willys ads! I'd love to get my hands on the original paintings of some of the ads from the 20s. I often wonder what happened to them and if any are still to be found.

Here's a particularly fine drawing that would look great on one of my walls:

adPeerless1920.jpg

SweetieStarr

A-List Customer
Warbaby said:
In 1920, the Victor Talking Machine Company took a dignified, conservative approach in their advertising:

adVictrola1920.jpg

While the Columbia Graphonola was advertised in glorious color with a lady who, though scantily-clad, is nonetheless virtuous because she is singing opera...

adColumbia1_1920.jpg

Love the RCA Victor logo painting. I just found out some cool trivia about it.
The dog is on top of a coffin, not a table. That paired with "his master's voice" makes the painting a little more creepy than it seems. Still a great painting though.

Warbaby

One Too Many
I didn't know that the dog is sitting on a coffin! Beautiful! It adds a whole 'nother dimension to the image. I love it! Any idea where I can find an image of the original painting in its entirety?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24