Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your Favorite Sandwiches?

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
KY Gentleman said:
I'm getting chest pains just reading about it!!!
There was one place up here when we first moved up - I was staying with friends while the house was going through escrow, and she'd suddenly gone vegetarian (mainly to lose some weight) and she would make delightfully snide comments to her husband & I about "Can you two get by on vegetable lasagne, or do you two have to have flesh for dinner?" Thing was...we WERE trying to be supportive and non-judgmental.

Anyway, after a week of veggie this, tofu that, no animal products of any kind, George comes in one night and says, "Get your coat - she's stuck at work tonight for a meeting, so we're having a cholesterol fest."

The first hamburger I every had that actually had HAM on it. Two beef patties and a 1/2" thick slice of ham; Swiss, Bleu, Cheddar and American cheese; grilled onions; chili & chopped onion; pickles, lettuce, tomato. Needless to say - had to be eaten with a knife and fork. We were so stuffed, and you could almost hear your arteries clogging. I haven't been back since - don't even know if the place is still there. What I do know is George and I went through a box of Alka Seltzer that night, and it felt like it burger was hanging, mid-chest, in me for a day or two.

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
Reuben

My all time favorite would have to be the Reuben sandwich. Rye bread, sauerkraut, good Swiss, thousand island, corned beef... Mmmm.... makes my mouth water. I think I'll actually head to the store and get the fixings to make some tomorrow. I know some places use pastrami instead of corned beef, I've been meaning to try that. There aren't many places around here to get one unfortunately. Most places don't grill them either, which is my preferred method of preparation. Though I find much like steak, I can't find a Reuben anywhere that's better than one I make at home.

imported_the_librarian

One of the Regulars
Hi all,

Not trying to thread hijack, but anybody know why ALL corned beef in a can is from Brazil? Not that it's a bad thing, more I'm just curious? Armor, all the major packing houses, it seems it's all from Brazil...nothing domestic.

Maybe I need to move up to fresh corned beef, but the canned stuff is much better on a hiking trip.

KilroyCD

One Too Many
The Cardiac Burger

There is a place just outside of Reading, PA called Ozzie's that serves a burger to die for...well, they do call it the "Cardiac Burger". If I remember correctly it's either a 1/2 or 1/3lb burger, topped with ham, four different cheeses, lettuce, tomato and onion and served on a nice big Kaiser roll and a big side of fries. It's so thick you can barely fit it in your mouth to take a bite! :essen:

KilroyCD

One Too Many
Diamondback said:
Speaking of, Google "Heart Attack Grill." Not exactly tasteful nor the kinda place I'd take kids, nor a date and her folks, but a two-pound burger... they call it a Quadruple Bypass, which is pretty much what you'd need afterward!
Holy smolies! That thing (according to their website) is 8,000 calories!

Dr Doran

A place called Oscar's in Berkeley, of all places, does a double cheeseburger that makes me nausated every time I eat it. In fact, I'm feeling offish at the moment just thinking about it.

pgoat

One Too Many
Supersize me, indeed!

That's how I felt once every five years or so when I'd eat at McWendysKing....finally I just stopped....

I did eat at BK and Wendys once a week for about two-three months back in '03 cause i was driving out every Friday night to help my mother when she sold her house (late night drive-thru dinner). My cholesterol went through the roof the next time I had my annual check up blood work done.

The following year I was back to normal again (around 200 with decent levels of the good kind).

Dr Doran

Today I had a sandwich: bagel, cream cheese, chopped red bell peppers, some black pepper, some chopped red onion. Phenomenal -- but the bagel was not a proper chewy Jewish bagel. What's up with lame bagels? I used to bake bagels at a traditional Jewish bagel place run by a Jewish guy from New York and we BOILED them first and THEN baked them. That's the only way to get the chewy texture. Steaming doesn't hack it.

pgoat

One Too Many
"10-4, dead buddy!"

Diamondback said:
No problem, I'll take care of your share for you. lol :p One Quadruple Bypass oughtta put me off to a good start on that...:D

you're reminding me of a Simpsons episode, where Homer has a steak-eating contest with the trucker named Red - who beats him, but dies in the process.lol

I was serious , btw - I checked the freezer for any odd meat (we rarely eat anything animal anyway, just fish once a week or so) and had forgotten I bought some Swedish Meatballs last month (darn that Ikea with their enticing product names!!:D ). The bag was a lot bigger than I recall it looking in the store - my wife wouldn't eat a single bite so I made half the bag with some noodles for dinner last night....mama mia, that was aLOT of meatballs.....let's just say my stomach hasn't been 'right' since 10PM last night......:eek:

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Doran said:
. What's up with lame bagels?
I hear you, brother. It has become exceedingly difficult to find a decent bagel in America. Jewish delis are an endangered species as well.:(

LadyStardust

Practically Family
No frills here, I would say my all time favorite is smoked salmon with capers, tomatoes, onions, sprouts, and cream cheese all in between an "everything" bagel.

Another amazing sandwich I had was at Au Bon Pain, which was prosciutto, buffalo mozzarella, and tomato on mini-French baguette. Mmm mmm good.

pgoat

One Too Many
Tomasso said:
I hear you, brother. It has become exceedingly difficult to find a decent bagel in America. Jewish delis are an endangered species as well.:(
you'd think NYC would be a good place for both of these but they've become harder to find as of late.

an old buddy of mine opened a NY Jewish style deli in San Francisco, which was doing quite well, last I heard http://www.millersdelisf.com/Index.html

They get H&H bagels from here, which are okay - not my faves. I like a little place on 6th and 24th.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy