Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your FIRST Vintage Clothing Item?

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home

If you own vintage clothing ...

-- What was your first item of vintage clothing?

-- When did you get it?

-- Did you buy it, inherit it, find it, or was it given to you?

-- Did you end up wearing it in public?

-- Do you still have it? If so, do you still wear it?

Briscoeteque

One of the Regulars
A lot of my Grandpa's ties

Recieved them two years ago as a Christmas present

Some of them, one of them is my favorite 50's tie, and it's part of my 'traveling suit'. I wear it pretty much every time I travel.

If not ties, I got a lot of two dated deadstock 1963 suits, one brown two button and one grey three button, off of ebay for 40 dollars with an extra set of pants each. The brown one is my traveling suit, and I wear both all of the time. Maybe one of the best bargins I've ever nabbed.

Salv

One Too Many
A light blue McGregor Drizzler from the late 50's that I liberated from my dad's wardrobe, along with a mid-60's two button SB navy blue mohair suit and a couple of short sleeved 50's shirts. This was in 1976 and I wore them all until they fell apart. The Drizzler lasted the longest but I wore the suit trousers more.

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
When I was in college (in the early 80's) I bought my first vintage clothes. Mostly 60's mod looking suits and ties. I don't have any of that stuff anymore (like it would fit anyway), but I never stopped shopping for vintage.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
If you own vintage clothing ...

-- What was your first item of vintage clothing? An 1890's ladies chemise

-- When did you get it? When I was about 8 years old

-- Did you buy it, inherit it, find it, or was it given to you? My mom bought it at a garage sale or an antique store for me to play dress up with.

-- Did you end up wearing it in public? No

-- Do you still have it? If so, do you still wear it? Just put it on Ebay and it got no bids. Think I might keep it now.

Rosie

One Too Many
My first item was a box of stuff. The stand outs were a long black gown and black fur coat from the late 40's. There was also some jewelry.

I was about 17.

I inherited it from my grandmother who died years earlier. When my mom saw I liked vintage clothing, and not just to play around in, she gave them to me.

Since the gown was too formal for me to wear (I wasn't going to many formal events at 17) I wore it for Halloween. I did however wear the coat for years. Of course I wore the jewelry also.

I still have the coat and jewelry. I don't remember what happened to the dress.[huh] I still wear the jewelry, I wear the coat when it's very cold.

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
-- What was your first item of vintage clothing?
Apart from suits and ties from my father, a dark grey pin-stripe SB suit.

-- When did you get it?
Early nineties, in a second-hand shop in London, where I was looking for used books.

-- Did you buy it, inherit it, find it, or was it given to you?
Buy, ten pounds (when a pound was still worth something. Not like today, with all this EU nonsense, nagnag, grump, wave cane.)

-- Did you end up wearing it in public?
Certainly.

-- Do you still have it? If so, do you still wear it?
Still in my possession, but it strangely shrunk some years ago. Maybe, when I wait a bit, it'll widen again. I could kill the time till then by more sports maybe.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
(Beware- Anorak Talk...)

My first vintage clothing item(s) was a 1930s German(maybe also Swiss, Austrian or Italian) Anorak(/Parka)- the mountineering variety- made from heavy, green gabardine, with a volume-adjustable hood, three large chest pockets, among others, a belt, a mutitude of draw-strings, buttons and buckles and unique vintage zippers. It came complete with the most fantastic pair of snow goggles I've ever seen and a very Alpine kind of cap with several badges, with ski, Edelweiss and other Alpine and outdoorsey emblems.
It was a feature-rich, self-contained treasure trove of Vintageness.
It was an unwanted inclusion in a parcel of WW2 German militaria, sitting in an Antique shop in Auckland, New Zealand.
It was gifted to me.
I never wore it on a mountain!

I don't have it now, which I regret... but I sold it for a considerable sum.

This was back in the late '70s- I was a child.

I had an interest in all things 'Vintage Alpine', as a kid, which has returned...
...I'm looking for something similar now...

A
N
O
R
A
K

In the early nineties i found my dad's leather jacket (made for his brother in the early 60s, and inherited by my dad in the mid 60s) in a closet. I wore it in public until i went to university. He wouldn't let me keep it, even though he hadn't worn it in 20 years, and hasn't worn it since. I still hope to inherit it permanently. It fits me perfectly.

I wear it whenever i'm back in town (not often).

bk

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
German ski pants

In my teens, I was given a vintage pair of German-made wool ski pants of my grandfather's, not long after he died. They fit perfectly, and, not that I'm anything of a skier, I wore them frequently in winter (once while skiing...or attempting to :eusa_doh:). The sort that had full upper legs, but very narrow lower legs for fitting in ski boots, with a (elastic?) band to go under the foot. I have no idea what I did with them, which is a shame; they were truly top notch, dense, warm cloth, but not thick and not too heavy. That's the first truly vintage item I owned in my "remembered" life. I didn't pay much attention to "vintage" until a few months ago; now I'm a total fiend :essen:

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
My first vintage item was a pair of 1950s black and white spectator shoes that my dad had sitting in his closet for about 45 years without wearing. Since they were my size as well, he gave them to me. I do wear them in public, although I have found that black and white spectators are hard to match well with clothing colors. Now I usually wear them with white flannels and tennis sweaters.

magneto

Practically Family
A 50s Persian Lamb coat with 3/4 sleeves and rhinestone buttons; when I was in high school, on kinda-sorta loan from my grandmother. Oh how I would pray for cold days! Yes I would wear it; nope don't have it (nor any of her other wonderful vintage duds; which were all discarded or taken by various other family members after she passed away.)

Speedster

Practically Family
A 1960'ies waxed cotton Barbour motorcycle jacket and trousers. Bougth them cheap from Den Bl?• Avis in around 1980. Used them daily riding my motorcycle untill 1991 when i sold my last bike. Since then have used the jacket once in a while. Still have them and plan to use them again (hope to convince mrs Speedster the sensibility of buying a motorcycle again).

Speedster

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Speedster said:
(hope to convince mrs Speedster the sensibility of buying a motorcycle again)

Just show her the price of gas. ;)

I haven't had a bike in over 15 years, and I'm sorely tempted by the new Harley Sportster 883. (Rubber-mounted engine and an estimated 58 MPG on regular)

Speedster

Practically Family
Hi Tony,

Well it's about DKK 10.50 per liter (USD 1.70 per liter) here in Denmark.

I would dearly love to have a Harley Sportster 883. They made it in their racing colors two or three years ago: Orange and white.

I'm also very tempted by the Ducati Monster. One of my old friends has a 900 cc Monster which he gladly lends me now and then.

Speedster

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
Had to have been...

Two pairs of vintage trousers. Both were hollywood waisted and came from the local thrift store. This was about '95-'96.

My most sentimental vintage item have to be a small collection of neck ties owned by my great grandfather that we found in around '98-'99. They are all from the '30s-'40's and very nice.

Barry

Practically Family
I don't collect a lot of vintage clothes...

But the first vintage item I bought was a Harrington style jacket.

Barry

The Crewchief

New in Town
My greatest inheritance

All my 62 year old fathers Levis. 5 pair in various condition. All redlines selvage from the late 50 to early 60s. I still wear them in rotation and I will never part with them because they look and fit better than any pair I have ever tried on. I just hope I don't spread out so much I can't fit them anymore (like Dad) because I have no son to pass them on to.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
here's my first vintage item which I just bought a week ago .....
P1017475sm.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24