Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your most non-vintage preference or attributes ...

olive bleu

One Too Many
I'm struggling to think of something vintage that I don't love...so I won't name one, but the thing that is unvintage that I am mad about is..Reggae.In fact, I listen to more reggae than any other type of music.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My peeve is not so much vintage as vintage scene-oriented. I can't stand those people who go out to Rockabilly or Swing gigs and only dance. They're not into the music, the cars, the clothes, any part of the culture. They dress up in silly parody clothes like sequinned skirts and matching bowling shirts and do stiff ball room versions of jive and make a mockery of the whole culture.

They don't support the bar, the sneak water into the place but scream blue murder if they've got to pay a cover charge!

What irks me most is that if they'd appeared on the scene when I was 18, my hoodlum greaser pals and I would've just mercilessly beat the living daylights out of them just for daring to breathe, yet now there are literally thousands of them and they constantly try to dictate what bands play (very slow music so they can 'dance' to it). :rage:

I'm with Erikb02809 in non-vintage tastes; I love Star Wars, and have ever since I was 8.

Dr Doran

olive bleu said:
I'm struggling to think of something vintage that I don't love...so I won't name one, but the thing that is unvintage that I am mad about is..Reggae.In fact, I listen to more reggae than any other type of music.

I hate reggae passionately, but if you can get enjoyment from it, more power to you.

carter

I'll Lock Up
My battery-operated toothbrush.
Crosby, Stills, Nash, & Young, Taylor & Reeves.
Neil Young solo.
"Nutbush City Limits"
Harry Nilsson
My T-Bird
post-WWII Morris Minors
Andrea Bocelli
Josh Groban
Russell Watson
Anita Baker
Nancy LaMott
Cassandra Wilson
Madelaine Stowe
Kate Beckinsale

Dr Doran

Benny Holiday said:
What irks me most is that if they'd appeared on the scene when I was 18, my hoodlum greaser pals and I would've just mercilessly beat the living daylights out of them just for daring to breathe.

Let's hope no permanent damage, maiming, or necessitation of wearing dentures ... that kind of stuff invites revenge ... a few slaps are not wrong if both parties are keen on it, and they are approximately the same weight and age and gender.

I grew up amongst the grisliest wars between Los Angeles punks and skins with Mexican gangs and (black) Crips and Bloods thrown in for good measure. In the 80s, many of the punks and skins, such as the Suicidals and FFF and the LADS, resorted to many-against-one and also knives, razors, blunt instruments, and guns. An overly hot-headed acquaintance of mine got his leg blown off. All, I mean all, of my best friends in the 80s went to juvenile hall, youth authority prison, or real prison. Two of the bright ones learned from it, worked very hard in college afterward, and are now lawyers. In fact they both became rockabilly.

The rest ... who knows.

One was, last time I checked, a security guard in a parking lot. He was one of the most violent ones ...

Benny Holiday

Doran, we were nuts when we were kids in the late 1980's, but it was a lot different then than it is today. Kids today get stabbed and carry knives to school and all that. Back then, we must have got into a punch up with the skinheads and, less often, the punks almost once a fortnight, but they were as we say in Aussie "fair dinkum blues" - fair fights, no blades or guns or anything like that - and at the end we could all grudgingly admire the 'enemy' and often ended up shaking hands and even buying each other drinks. Our differences were simply subcultural ones and old skinheads and rockers from that time who see each other today often laugh about it and share a drink.

I do remember an English guy who wore Teddy Boy coats with fish hooks sewn under the lapels. To us, that was cheating and sissy and in no way a fair fight.

Of course, now I wonder why we bothered at all. Kids . . . [huh]

As to the fairy dancers, in reality if we'd seen them back then we'd have laughed at them and just told them to clear out. All sorts of people hung out in the Rockabilly venues then, not just the Rocker crowd, but anyone who'd have tried to make a mockery of our beloved subculture wouldn't have been welcome!

Dr Doran

Benny Holiday as we say in Aussie "fair dinkum blues" - fair fights said:
That is a good system. I approve wholeheartedly.

In fact, I think it is a loss that this sort of thing is so frowned upon nowadays, marginalized as "sociopathic" when it really isn't bad at all.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Hmmmm, good question - what do I not like about vintage?

I can safely say that I thought Bringing Up Baby was a truely terrible film. I would never bother seeing it again to test it!

I don't like Frank Sinatra. And I hate Joan Crawford.

I do love cheesy 80s music and 70s disco. Heck, I love the Staurday Night Fever soundtrack - every single song on there. Viva Disco! :D

I am also very glad to live in an era where we have internet, Ebay and washing machines.

fishmeok

Vendor
Geez- I was the only kid in Duluth MN with a mohawk, what's this whole "scene" thing you guys speak of...
When we wanted to get into trouble with other kids we had to take the bus to Minneapolis, but when we got there it was usually either too damn hot and humid or too cold to do any serious mischief. Probably why a lot of my friends either left or became alcoholics/drug addicts.
Sorry, that got a little depressing...

Anyway, back on topic, modern motorcycle gear- I ride as much as possible, but I always wear a modern full face helmet (Nolan flip face), and usually a mesh jacket instead of a leather one- but never in just a t-shirt and a vintage buco half helmet like I used to. I've done enough stupid things with vehicles and airplanes, staying in one piece is very important to me at this stage in life.

Cheers
Mark

Kishtu

Practically Family
Coo.... don't drive or ride a bike, don't own a vacuum cleaner, microwave, TV, video player, iPod....

Think my most non-vintage preference has got to be the not-so-closet uberGoth tendencies, to wit, a wardrobe full of PVC and net and a coupla pairs of 7 inch heels.
Oh and I hate Fitzgerald- both of 'em - with a passion bordering on insanity. Did my thesis on the work of Fitzgerald and his representation of the "Jazz Age" and came away never, ever, ever wanting to read his sorry a$$ again.

And my other half wouldn't have survived the operation at birth to remove a cyst from his stomach, nor in all probablility would he still be here with the heart condition that he has.... or if he was, there wouldn't be any chance of fixing him. So although I could, very, very, very easily live the life (and sad to say we pretty much do, in our TV-less, central-heating-less, non-driving etc house with the wood burning stove and the Aga!) I'm pretty glad I'm not obliged to!

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Benny Holiday said:
My peeve is not so much vintage as vintage scene-oriented. I can't stand those people who go out to Rockabilly or Swing gigs and only dance. They're not into the music, the cars, the clothes, any part of the culture. They dress up in silly parody clothes like sequinned skirts and matching bowling shirts and do stiff ball room versions of jive and make a mockery of the whole culture.

They don't support the bar, the sneak water into the place but scream blue murder if they've got to pay a cover charge!

What irks me most is that if they'd appeared on the scene when I was 18, my hoodlum greaser pals and I would've just mercilessly beat the living daylights out of them just for daring to breathe, yet now there are literally thousands of them and they constantly try to dictate what bands play (very slow music so they can 'dance' to it). :rage:.
We've got the "sports dancers" over here, too. I threw a few samples of my big band CD to dance folks and got the same reply - "Sorry, no up tempo. No medium up. That's Balboa stuff and very few do it. We gotta get our moves in or it's not worth showing up."

I told 'em we're about dancing and listening. Look to England and check out Strict Tempo style. And have a round on me. :p

olive bleu

One Too Many
Doran said:
I hate reggae passionately, but if you can get enjoyment from it, more power to you.
I really only love the hardcore stuff..Marley, the Abbyssians,Dennis brown,peter Tosh,Buju Banton,Gregory Isaacs...about a whole life time ago, on my very first day at college in winnipeg, i met a girl fresh from Jamaica, bundled in about 15 layers of sweaters and freezing to death.She was terribly homesick and caught a bad cold the first week.We became best friends and she introduced me to reggae.She was a singer herself and played the piano, but her family was too poor to afford one.she lived down the street from Jimmy Cliff, who let her come over from time to time to play.I have been a diehard fan ever since.

Bertie Wooster

New in Town
LizzieMaine said:
When I go to the dentist I like modern technology a lot. Have you ever seen a prewar dental drill?

No but I imagine it would be sub-Dremel in terms of size and fit-in-the-mouthability :)

I am with you in terms of being very thankful for the wonderful advances in science and medicine that we enjoy today. Like kishtu says without it, I wouldn't be here!

I don't drive a car, have a TV set, ipod or i-anything, no microwave, deep fat fryer, coffee machine or any other mod cons save for our oven, refrigerator and freezer. We are even in a black hole in terms of mobile phone reception :)

I am with the great Professor Tolkien in the view that the modern age is full of nasty, noisy mechanical devices which, whilst "labour saving" remove some humanity from day to day tasks. Sometimes I wish I had been born in his day.

Starius

Practically Family
Truth be told, I think I love just as many things today as I do vintage things, as well has dislike just as many things of today that I do from vintage eras.
I think it's all balanced for me. I think I can be both a product of my times and have a deep rooted appreciation for things not of my time. I don't feel much of a conflict in that regard.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Salv said:
Don't run, we'll face off the fedora guys together...

Also there's very little pre-WW2 jazz that I like; it's mostly a little too polite and the drummers tend to be very bashful - that constant, unchanging tsk-tsk-tsk-tsk tsk-tsk-tsk-tsk rhythm on the hi-hat just sends me to sleep.

YOu're just not listening to the right jazz. While I kind of have a soft spot for it, I kind of look down my nose at much of the white, society jazz bands of the era.

Look for the hot urban swing or kansas city type blues of the thirties and forties.

Not that there wre not good white musicians, but they could not really have owrked if they had been doing that music. Of course there are bands like Benny GHoodman, and many good white musicicians who were lucky enough to get into bands that would let them swing.

But even goodman compares poorly in my opinion, to Chick Webb doing the same Fletcher Henderson arrangements. Check out Stompin at hte Savoy by both bands. One is great, but Webb is truly hot.

Just avoid the "sweet" bands if you get bored by that.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
BegintheBeguine said:
The not liking of Sinatra is vintage. lol My dad, b.1924, couldn't stand him. "Too skinny. Sings with his hands in his pockets. Doesn't open his mouth to sing." I was shocked when first I heard these sentiments in the 1980s as I thought everybody liked Sinatra, who of course wasn't skinny anymore. Nor was my dad.

I agree about Sinatra. My way has a certain appeal, even if part of it is kind of the cheesiness, kind of like William Shatner. And I will say that his early stuff in the late thirties and early forties is quite amazing, vocally as well as image and presence.

But his later persona, the "saloon singer" he always talks about is way too pompous, arrogant, macho and full of himself to be taken seriously. The whole "phrasing" he is considered so great at comes off as contrived sappy emoting to me.

I think tony Benner is underrated, while Sinatra is over.

that said, i am still kicking my self for not seeing him in the eighties when he came through town with Sammy and Dino. WOuld have been worth seeing just to know you did.

I saw Dylan years ago because I figured it might be my last chance. Go figure.

Flora

Familiar Face
I love the vintage house dresses, completely! My mom says they're for old ladies but I say TO HELL WITH THAT: I'll be a gorgeous old lady! lol

What I hate... a lot of the hairstyles the ladies had. Dear lord.... it's not a ugly, big hair competition! Urggg....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy