Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your needs and your A2

Xopher

A-List Customer
In all of my internet window shopping and the brutal reality of my ATM receipts I got to thinking. As much as I would kill for a GW or Eastman A-2 I don't think I could or would ever be able to pay the $1200+ for one. I think at the price of 2+ months of rent I would probably be too afraid to wear the damned thing. I'd be worried about being active with such an expensive jacket. Is it the same for any of you folks out there?

And from my experience with leather products, many people continue to raise the quality and price of the leather used to the point where it gets so soft and supple that it loses all its resilience. For example Vintage Leather Shoe Co. and their jump boots are so high quality soft leather that they get shredded in 6 months.

When I get a jacket, I pretty much live in the thing. I wear it nearly every day for everything I do, from riding motorcycle, to moving firewood, hiking, going to work, during work and after work. To restaurants, backpacking, traveling over seas. How long would those ultra expensive jackets last? Can GW, ELC, or BK products keep up? In pictures it looks like the leather quality is so soft that almost anything cold pose a threat of massive cuts and gashes.

How do you use your jackets? Are they for dress occasions, or every day use? Do you have beater and a business jacket or just one for everything? After dropping so much money one one, are you afraid to wear them? What jackets do have and how long do they last? What do you do in them?

Just me being curious. Thanks all.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
My GW Dubow A-2 and ELC A-1 get plenty of wear in all weathers/conditions and are not cosseted at all - they are beater jackets.
No issues with leather quality at all - plenty sturdy enough.

devilish

A-List Customer
I have a GW A-2 in HH that I've worn all over the place and it's a pretty tough piece of kit. Anything that would damage it would do the same to pretty much any other jacket. Same with the GW G-1 I just picked up. I also have an Eastman that seems a little less tough but still I would wear it wherever. The only one I would possibly worry about is the GW A-1 because that is capeskin but I'd still do 90% of my normal routine in it.

Dav

One Too Many
Of mine, I suppose the Cheyenne has become my smart jacket, the Highwayman is becoming the beater, which leaves the A2 and Teamster as down the pub jackets.

EDIT

Didn't read title properly!

Last edited:

andy b.

One of the Regulars
Xopher,

I think a lot of people feel like you, in fact I see jackets sold here on the Lounge because people realized they would never wear them for fear of "ruining" them. I don't have an A-2 (well, I have an old Excelled civilian version), but I do have several leather jackets. I wouldn't worry about damaging any of them. There are certain jobs an old Carhartt work coat are better suited for than leather, like painting an old barn or pouring concrete, but you kind of know what activities might not be a good place to wear a $1200 jacket.

By the way, if a leather good is "so high quality" that it falls apart after 6 months, then it really wasn't high quality, maybe just high-priced.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
My Aero Bronco A-2 seems to be my go to jacket for N Texas weather. It is lightweight, flattering, and comfortable. Primarily, it is the jacket that seems to be my wife's favorite. :D

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I have an 80s Aero A-2 in russet bison, and it looks the biz. I've gone to big old parties in it (matched with a pair of tartan trews, though that's my personal tragedy), worn it out and about, work and play.

saculer

Familiar Face
I have a U.S. Authentic horsehide A-2 that I wear all day, most days for most everything, and have done for almost a year now (except when its hot out), and it doesn't seem at all the worse for wear. In fact it's much better now than when I got it. I would just now consider the thing "broken in", with years and years left to spare. I have an Aero Bronco on order from Thurston Bros. due to arrive any day now, and I plan to do the same with it. By contrast, I have had more than one $200-$300 mall jacket go from new-looking to cracked/torn/faded/falling apart within a season or two.

I only see value in the expenditure if it's something I like and can get a lot of mileage from. In fact, for me the most important detail of an "authentic" A-2 is that it be built with the commensurate durability one would expect from a military-grade utility garment, which is what A-2s were and ought to be. US Authentic has not disappointed me in that respect, as I recognized its toughness the moment I unboxed it. From what I have read lurking around here the last couple of years, one can expect the same toughness or more from military jackets made by any of the other oft-mentioned higher-end leather clothiers who do these as repros. I wouldn't sweat it.

Peacoat

Bartender
My Aero Bronco A-2 seems to be my go to jacket for N Texas weather. It is lightweight, flattering, and comfortable. Primarily, it is the jacket that seems to be my wife's favorite. :D

Very nice Bronco you got there Fanch. Love the color. But that tree! What a fine specimen. If Jan has seen it, he is probably envious.

To answer the OP's question, I have several high end leather jackets, along with a bunch of medium priced leather jackets. I wear them when I want without any fear of damaging them. That is their nature--to be worn. I don't, however, use them for farm chores except when I am breaking one in. Even then I pick jobs that don't have a high probability of damage to the jacket--such as jobs done while riding a tractor. That is a very good way to break them in as there is a lot of twisting and turning with shoulder and torso movement. For other, and more serious jobs, such as fence work, I use a jacket that is made for that purpose--a Carhart. A little common sense goes a long way when breaking in new leather jackets, irrespective of the price. I treat all of my leather jackets the same, whether high end or not.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Thought about this a lot. I can readily afford a $1200 jacket but I refuse to pay that amount and feel silly when I pay $850 for one. I get as much pleasure from a $500 Schott as I do from my custom leathers. In fact I think I appreciate the simple honesty of a well made off the rack factory jacket more. Just like buying a Sears back in the day. I like the challenge of finding a good fit off the rack and making it your own more than sending off a list of specs to a maker. But that's just me.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
In all of my internet window shopping and the brutal reality of my ATM receipts I got to thinking. As much as I would kill for a GW or Eastman A-2 I don't think I could or would ever be able to pay the $1200+ for one. I think at the price of 2+ months of rent I would probably be too afraid to wear the damned thing. I'd be worried about being active with such an expensive jacket. Is it the same for any of you folks out there?

There's an upper limit for me for everything. If I know I couldn't realistically afford to replace it if anything happened, I'm always going to be that bit more wary of buying because I might be too leery of damage to wear it. Of course, there's also the fact that while I can appreciate the very top level of repro accuracy and why it costs what it does, I don't need it. I wear the jackets as civilian clothing, not re-enacting (partly the reason my interest has gone more in the direction of the civilian styles in the last few years). Also there's the fact that, well.... no matter how accurate a uniform I might put together for USAAF aircrew, I'm still a fat, bald, middle-aged man, getting on for the guts of two decades older than most of those kids and a heck of a lot heavier. So if a jacket fits and flatters me, how truly accurate can it ever be? These things do temper somewhat how far I'll go for accuracy. I have an ELC Roughwear and an Aero 42 contract (not sure if it's a real contract or one of the fictional ones they've done at times - it's thestandard seal goat model), both bought on eBay about three years ago for significantly less than the new price even then. I'm very happy with those.

And from my experience with leather products, many people continue to raise the quality and price of the leather used to the point where it gets so soft and supple that it loses all its resilience. For example Vintage Leather Shoe Co. and their jump boots are so high quality soft leather that they get shredded in 6 months.

If that's what you call quality, there's a bridge here in Merrie Olde London I'd like to sell you.... ;) I'm sure I've been biased by having had my leather start via bike jackets, but I'm simply not interested in leather of any sort that needs babied and can't take a knock. Soon as advertising copy starts reading nonsnese like "buttery soft", I'm gone.

How do you use your jackets? Are they for dress occasions, or every day use? Do you have beater and a business jacket or just one for everything? After dropping so much money one one, are you afraid to wear them? What jackets do have and how long do they last? What do you do in them?

Won't buy a jacket I'd be scared to wear. All my jackets get worn regularly, both casual-casually, and office-casual (with collar and tie). In terms of whether a jacket is worth it - or any item of clothing - one thing I look at is how often I might wear it. Something I'll wear three times a week soon cracks down into a very low price-per-wear, which cane make it much more justifiable. Of course, if something is really special, I might still be able to justify it for occasional wear...

By the way, if a leather good is "so high quality" that it falls apart after 6 months, then it really wasn't high quality, maybe just high-priced.

Quite.

Foster

One of the Regulars
I am one who has fretted over wearing the high end jackets. I am still in the process of reprogramming my attitudes on the subject.

My first A2 was a Willis & Geiger. I wore it often, but only in casual settings. I never noticed any wear to it, and did not think anything of it.

Then I bought an Aero. In fact, it is the one Fanch has now. As soon as it exhibited the slightest bit of edge wear, I became worried I was wearing it out too quickly. I ended up setting it aside for special occasions.

Then came a used Eastman. It was time-worn and I did not worry too much about it, except for the lining. Realistically, the lining is often the first component to wear through.

Then another Aero, then another Eastman, then a Goodwear. My tendency is to not wear the Goodwear so much, but I am realizing it will not hurt it to be worn. It will look better as worn. And these are more durable than I originally thought. Again, my background is in textiles and I am very conscious of the wear and tear as fabric gets threadbare. Leather is far more durable. And it adds character when worn. This is a brave new horizon for me, as I get as much wear out of my jackets in the remaining season where one can wear a jacket in my climate.

The main thing I do to prolong the life of my jackets is to wear a collared shirt. Since the lining is usually worn through first, and since the collar area is usually the specific area that wears through first, a collared shirt keeps skin oils off the jacket lining. This helps the lining last a bit longer, as the oil attracts dirt and dust, and microscopically dirt is abrasive to fibers and fabrics.
Second I would be careful with the wrist knits. I don't wear a wristwatch with my jacket, as that can damage the cuffs more quickly than not.
Let it air dry when wet or damp. Keep the surface clean and wipe with a damp cloth when needed. Avoid intentionally exposing the jacket to harsh activities (laying on concrete, walking near barbed wire, scraping against brick walls).

I can honestly relate to having anxieties about the high-end jackets. I continue to work through that myself. I hope these comments are helpful.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Lots of sound advice there Foster. I NEVER (read NEVER) thought I'd pay Aero or Goodwear money for ANYTHING! And I meant what said when I said it... but items come up on sale... new models come out (think Thunder Bay)... your credit card starts glowing in the dark. Eventually the basterds wear you down (and this place don't help)... next thing you know there's high money hides EVERYWHERE!!!!

Of the jackets I've got there's only one I'm "scared" to wear a lot. It's a used GoodWear A1 made of that bad ass Capeskin from the first run. It's sooooo soft, and drapes so well. It's already got a couple of deep gouges in it from a friends dog who thought it was a tasty treat.... No I did NOT kill the dog... but I've not been back to their house since and if I ever do I certainly won't wear any leather... Other than the A1 I wear em all, one day brown, the next black... that keeps em all in the mix cept the ones I know I want to get rid of.

Worf

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
The leather jacket I wear the most - by far - is a black G&B Civil A-2 I got in 2001. It's held up spectacularly well, even the ugly "textured" knits which quickly pilled and fuzzed... but haven't lost their elasticity and are extremely tough (cutting off loose threads is nearly impossible, so I leave them). In the last few years, the surface coat has worn off along the edges of the windflap and left epaulet (due to seatbelt wear), revealing the gray-green base. But this jacket has taken everything in stride... I don't worry about it at all.

My most treasured jacket is a Good Wear Dubow in russet horse that I've now had for a couple of years. I don't wear it much, not because I don't love it, but because vastly more of my wardrobe matches black than brown. But it is a really tough jacket, and I wouldn't worry about anything happening to it, apart from it getting stolen! (So I don't wear it to concerts, etc., where I'd be leaving it on my seat.)

The truth is, I've only had one mishap with a leather jacket, when I tore the back panel on my lambskin Wested Raiders when it got caught on a car door. (Wested repaired it... FOR FREE!) I've retired and sold or given away jackets that didn't fit me right, but I've never found any of my flight jackets required babying. I expect most of them will outlive me!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails