Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your thoughts on pant cuffs, if you would be so kind?

Slim Portly

One Too Many
For an upcoming event I ordered a new suit from an online source. Three-piece, six button, three flapped besom waist pockets, double breasted with peak lapels (both jacket and waistcoat), single welt chest pocket, side vents, center back pleat, double-pleated wide leg trousers, in navy tonal pinstripe. It will come with unhemmed pant legs, and I wonder whether cuffs or no cuffs would give me the best retro look (I'm thinking 1930's - '40's). Any thoughts on this are greatly appreciated.

By the way, it was Cary's friend Steve in Long Beach who really made me realize how much I want a navy pinstripe suit. Of course mine will not look anywhere near as perfect as his did, but we all have to start somewhere.

edit - typo

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Double breasted & pleats = cuffs.

No question there. Next. :)

(We'll want pictures, of course)

(And Steve's suit was a major WOW. I coveted that myself)

(Reetpleat has one.... for sale....)

Slim Portly

One Too Many
Tomasso said:
:eek: That's a whole lot of DB goin' on. :eusa_doh:
Yes, it is! So 2" cuffs it is. I'm embarrassed to say it's a poly blend that I ordered from "Quality Men's Wear" (haha) but it was a last minute need that will have to suffice for the short term. Which considering my circumstances may not be so short.

GBR

One of the Regulars
2" cuffs.

No arguements or question against this specification

Slim Portly

One Too Many
Slim Portly said:
I'm embarrassed to say it's a poly blend that I ordered from "Quality Men's Wear" ...

And five hours later the crickets go wild. I know, I know, but you must commiserate with me. I had literally three days to find a double breasted three-piece peak lapel navy pinstripe suit in 44R with a six-inch drop. With luck and my force of will I think I may be able to carry it off, and if it's a big dud then it's not like I'll be caught off guard. Ah well, one day I may be able to afford the suits of my dreams. Maybe that's what I'll do with my retirement checks.

:(

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
2" cuffs

Slim Portly said:
Ah well, one day I may be able to afford the suits of my dreams. Maybe that's what I'll do with my retirement checks.
:(

Unless you hit the thrift stores and find a vintage suit in your size, Slim. I found two within one month: the brown single-breasted in my avatar, and the grey single-breasted that I wore to the Queen Mary.;)

Lee

Slim Portly

One Too Many
Widebrim said:
Unless you hit the thrift stores and find a vintage suit in your size, Slim. I found two within one month: the brown single-breasted in my avatar, and the grey single-breasted that I wore to the Queen Mary.;)

Lee
That's true. I really enjoyed the one thrift shop that I had a chance to visit in San Diego the week before the QM, but I have to tell you the ones close to where I live are just junk shops.

And you did look fantastic at the QM, in case you don't get tired of hearing it. ;)

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Slim Portly said:
That's true. I really enjoyed the one thrift shop that I had a chance to visit in San Diego the week before the QM, but I have to tell you the ones close to where I live are just junk shops.

And you did look fantastic at the QM, in case you don't get tired of hearing it. ;)

Thanks, old boy.:eek: Both Elsa and I thought that you looked quite dashing, as well.

Slim Portly

One Too Many
David Conwill said:
The description reminds me a bit of the suits worn by Richard Gere in the movie musical Chicago. I can't wait to see it.

-Dave
l.o.l., not sure how to take that but you gave me a laugh.

;)

I know for some it might seem a bit much but it's quite close to what I had pictured in my mind. I really wanted white pinstripes rather than blue tonal, but this suit was the closest to what I wanted considering what I found available within my extremely limited time constraints. To round the outfit out, I have a pair of deep blue and bone Rockport spectators, and a light grey Royal Stetson. If the Stetson is too light I'll wear my darker grey Jaxon Bogart.

Geesie

Practically Family
Slim Portly said:

Which store?

Feraud

Bartender
Slim Portly said:
T but I have to tell you the ones close to where I live are just junk shops.
Many thrift shops have a lot of junk but if you put in the time you can find a gem.
Quite a few members have found great stuff at thrift (as opposed to vintage ) shops.

Bugsy

One Too Many
Slim Portly said:
For an upcoming event I ordered a new suit from an online source. Three-piece, six button, three flapped besom waist pockets, double breasted with peak lapels (both jacket and waistcoat), single welt chest pocket, side vents, center back pleat, double-pleated wide leg trousers, in navy tonal pinstripe. It will come with unhemmed pant legs, and I wonder whether cuffs or no cuffs would give me the best retro look (I'm thinking 1930's - '40's). Any thoughts on this are greatly appreciated.

By the way, it was Cary's friend Steve in Long Beach who really made me realize how much I want a navy pinstripe suit. Of course mine will not look anywhere near as perfect as his did, but we all have to start somewhere.

Always cuffs with pleated trousers is the rule that I learned. Make certain you take pictures when you get your ensemble together.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Bugsy said:
Always cuffs with pleated trousers is the rule that I learned.
Yep, heard that, but I prefer cuffed trousers on all my suits, regardless of pleats. [huh]

mike

Call Me a Cab
You're getting an action backed (center pleated) jacket from an online company? Do they have pictures on their website of completed suits? I couldn't find the company through a google search :eusa_doh:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy