Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your Ultimate A2

simonc

Practically Family
Okay enough is enough, time to acquire an A2. Firstly I'm 6'1" medium build, 45. I have other Aero's in thick FQHH but not the A2. I'd like to go for the Bronco purely as I'd like to try something slimmer and fitted, and on that note I'd like to go for "buttersoft" mid-weight leather, not sure what colours; once again I am all ears, but I want ease of movement thus the leather. I have a large tablet phone and need an inside gun pocket, I know illegal, and I want it for spring autumn and am wondering about the lining and getting the jacket lined in alpaca then the cotton drill over it, or something again I know - "the man's barking, this won't stand etc". Then there is the best knit/combo, and zips? I don't know. But regardless. What would you go for in this instance, what have I not considered/forgotten and what specs or features would you def go for and why?

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
The general view is that Goodwear are the best of all the repros, but they do cost a lot. Bill Kelso seem very good on the accuracy front too, at a price which now undercuts Eastman, I believe (last I looked anyhow, that I recall). I own an ELC and an Aero myself. The Aero - in their superb seal goat - is by far my favourite. Not so accurate as some others (but we really are talking finnicky details here), but as a jacket, it is superb. If you're not in a rush and you really like Aeros, it might be worth waiting to see what they come up with over the next few months, as they are revamping their A2 patterns. My favourite original A2s are the really dark seal ones with the very red knits.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
The general view is that Goodwear are the best of all the repros, but they do cost a lot. Bill Kelso seem very good on the accuracy front too, at a price which now undercuts Eastman, I believe (last I looked anyhow, that I recall). I own an ELC and an Aero myself. The Aero - in their superb seal goat - is by far my favourite. Not so accurate as some others (but we really are talking finnicky details here), but as a jacket, it is superb. If you're not in a rush and you really like Aeros, it might be worth waiting to see what they come up with over the next few months, as they are revamping their A2 patterns. My favourite original A2s are the really dark seal ones with the very red knits.

+1 I saw a 36 on the sale site is seal and red, but having tried on one of the Quartermaster A-2s and found it just too tight across the shoulders, I'm a bit wary - I'd suggest a bi-swing, but...:D Anyway, I'm keeping my powder dry for the roll out of the new jackets in April.

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
Simon, I think you've a bit of a contradiction going on. You would like a light weight leather for ease of movement, but would then fill it up with alpaca and cotton drill? Seems like you will be getting a very thick jacket. As Far as modifying specs and features, it seems there are none.. An A-2 is an A-2. When you start to change the appearance from the outside it becomes something else. ( I do think adding an inside pocket is O.K.) so besides the leather type and color and the knits what else would you want to modify.

By the way, I am certainly no expert on the matter.

Last edited:

Gancho

One of the Regulars
My Aero Bronco in heavy front quarter horse is my dream A2. Surely not so historical correct as a GW, but the hfqhh gave the jeacket an individual touch. From the leather and the craftmanship it is topnotch.
My one fits perfect. The Bronco is a slimfitting jacket, works good for beanstalks!

simonc

Practically Family
A new roll out of jackets in April. Bi swing hey? Seal Goat you say? Are the knits thick, I worry I should I get them doubled up.

simonc

Practically Family
Simon, I think you've a bit of a contradiction going on. You would like a light weight leather for ease of movement, but would then fill it up with alpaca and cotton drill? Seems like you will be getting a very thick jacket. As Far as modifying specs and features, it seems there are none.. An A-2 is an A-2. When you start to change the appearance from the outside it becomes something else. ( I do think adding an inside pocket is O.K.) so besides the leather type and color and the knits what else would you want to modify.

Hey Boyo, its hard to describe, but you know as do I wearing FQHH can be like wearing armour, right now I want something soft with a bit of warmth. And regarding the suggestions that I wait until April as they are changing their A2's what, if as you say an A2 is an A2, could they be changing? I was thinking more pop art as Jansolo did with his Bronco. Dunno.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I suppose it depends on whose looking at the A-2. If you're aswatland, you'll know what's right and what's not. I've never seen an original in the flesh, so I wouldn't know how far Aero's depart from them. I guess the devil's in the detail...

pipvh

Practically Family
Like Edward, I'd like something in very dark seal goat (preferably with red knits), but in ELC's new slender configuration. The saggy bulge above the waist knits has always been a deal-breaker for me and A2s...

Swoosed

One of the Regulars
by far my aero bronco in mid weight fqhh, its a hide with the characteristics of heavy fqhh but the weight of an a-2 phenominal leather. olive thread and an original crown zip. awesome.

Edward

Bartender
Like Edward, I'd like something in very dark seal goat (preferably with red knits), but in ELC's new slender configuration. The saggy bulge above the waist knits has always been a deal-breaker for me and A2s...

At a time I'd have agreed with you there - alas, these days, I often *need* the saggy bulge.... ;)

pipvh

Practically Family
At a time I'd have agreed with you there - alas, these days, I often *need* the saggy bulge.... ;)

Well, if I'm being strictly honest, the 'slender' thing might be a little bit, shall we say, aspirational for me as well...

devilish

A-List Customer
GW 1939 Werber in the light Russet HH. Seriously considering putting an order in for one of these very soon. Maybe it's arrival will coincide with next years tax refund. I have a feeling that the light horse will age and darken in a beautiful way giving a wonderful patina.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have a four year old ELC Roughwear A2 in horse hide (very accurate repro..tailored 40's cut), best jacket I've ever purchased (& that's saying something with the number that's been through my hands). I'm not the easiest to accomodate with very broad shoulders, a couple of weeks 'breaking in' and it fitted like a glove (ELC leather feed helped process)..lovely & supple too!! Zip has withstood daily use (original NOS 1940's Talon). Four years use has left it with a lovely pattina. Mine has the usual two external pockets, though ELC have done a makers special with 2 large inside pockets too. I've had lots of positive comments re: the jacket inc those from persons around in the 40's thinking it's an original. ELC A2's..original makers..the best for my money.

andyfalzon

Vendor
wearing FQHH can be like wearing armour

Friday night's hints and tips.

I read a lot in here that FQHH is heavy, FQHH is stiff, FQHH can stop bullets, FQHH is like tank, armor etc.
This is completely wrong. It's a misconception.
FQHH can be soft and pliable as any other leather. The secret is in the way it is tanned.
If a FQHH is stiff, that's probably cause it was tanned to make shoes, not jackets. Leathers tanned for garments aren't supposed to be stiff and heavy.

Friday night's hints and tips.I read a lot in here that FQHH is heavy, FQHH is stiff, FQHH can stop bullets, FQHH is like tank, armor etc.This is completely wrong. It's a misconception.FQHH can be soft and pliable as any other leather. The secret is in the way it is tanned.If a FQHH is stiff, that's probably cause it was tanned to make shoes, not jackets. Leathers tanned for garments aren't supposed to be stiff and heavy.
That doesn't take into consideration the thickness. Too generic a statement to make. FQHH can be lovely, made by the best, and be stiff and heavy. It can also be thinner and less of both. So where does this get us?

andyfalzon

Vendor
That's what I am saying. It can be thick, or it can be thin, it can be soft or it can be stiff.
It depends on the tanning method used. The tanning method depends on the intended use.
If it's thick and stiff got to make you wonder what it was made for.
Not always the tanneries are willing to change their standard tanning methods just because someone wants to order.
They tell you, "take what's available". On the other hand, there are tanneries that have horsehide and when you approach them to buy they ask "what are you gonna use it for?" and you answer "jackets" and they say "sorry, we make horsehide for bags and leather goods ONLY". You say, "I don't care just let me have it". But they say "NO" and refuse to sell you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails