Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your Ultimate A2

majormajor

One Too Many
I have a four year old ELC Roughwear A2 in horse hide (very accurate repro..tailored 40's cut), best jacket I've ever purchased (& that's saying something with the number that's been through my hands). I'm not the easiest to accomodate with very broad shoulders, a couple of weeks 'breaking in' and it fitted like a glove (ELC leather feed helped process)..lovely & supple too!! Zip has withstood daily use (original NOS 1940's Talon). Four years use has left it with a lovely pattina. Mine has the usual two external pockets, though ELC have done a makers special with 2 large inside pockets too. I've had lots of positive comments re: the jacket inc those from persons around in the 40's thinking it's an original. ELC A2's..original makers..the best for my money.

+1
ELC's "warhorse" hide, combined with their fit, takes some beating. I too have had alot of "it must be an original" comments:D;)

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I guess if I could have the 'Ultimate A2 it would be based on 30+years of wearing the things.
I would have a mid weight hide in a dark Chestnut colour, an inside pocket similar to the G1. My biggest deviation from the normal would be Highwayman style arms with the storm cuffs . Dont think it would look right with the knitted waist band so that would have to go. So really, no longer an A2.
But I woud keep every other thing about it, the cotton lining, the pocket position, length and the zipper wind flap, though I do like the M422As maroon Rayon lining.
As a non flyer I dont know how the jacket would work though I have seen cheap mall jackets to this design that look ok and are fine for walking around in. I really dont know if anything like this was ever produced in a quality jacket though.
I hope that is the kind of jacket idea you want or is it your favourite traditional A2 design. I do like them all but have had just too many frayed waists and cuffs to really be in love with them anymore.
Johnny Tee

I guess if I could have the 'Ultimate A2 it would be based on 30+years of wearing the things.I would have a mid weight hide in a dark Chestnut colour, an inside pocket similar to the G1. My biggest deviation from the normal would be Highwayman style arms with the storm cuffs . Dont think it would look right with the knitted waist band so that would have to go. So really, no longer an A2.But I woud keep every other thing about it, the cotton lining, the pocket position, length and the zipper wind flap, though I do like the M422As maroon Rayon lining.As a non flyer I dont know how the jacket would work though I have seen cheap mall jackets to this design that look ok and are fine for walking around in. I really dont know if anything like this was ever produced in a quality jacket though.I hope that is the kind of jacket idea you want or is it your favourite traditional A2 design. I do like them all but have had just too many frayed waists and cuffs to really be in love with them anymore.Johnny Tee
I have worn my Aero 50's HBD a lot this year. I also fell in love with the Ventura. Neither have knits, and I must admit that I am beginning to develop a dislike for those. I wear big watches, and knits absolutely make that unenjoyable. And even the best ones start to pill. Looks like I'm just changing my likes in jackets. I've also rediscovered the joy and comfort and warmth of non-leather jackets. This is all good as it allows me to spend time and money searching for other needs like pants, boots, etc. I can wear those everyday. Jackets are good here only for part of the year. I'm down from ~15 jackets to ~6.

majormajor

One Too Many
I guess if I could have the 'Ultimate A2 it would be based on 30+years of wearing the things.
I would have a mid weight hide in a dark Chestnut colour, an inside pocket similar to the G1. My biggest deviation from the normal would be Highwayman style arms with the storm cuffs . Dont think it would look right with the knitted waist band so that would have to go. So really, no longer an A2.
But I woud keep every other thing about it, the cotton lining, the pocket position, length and the zipper wind flap, though I do like the M422As maroon Rayon lining.
As a non flyer I dont know how the jacket would work though I have seen cheap mall jackets to this design that look ok and are fine for walking around in. I really dont know if anything like this was ever produced in a quality jacket though.
I hope that is the kind of jacket idea you want or is it your favourite traditional A2 design. I do like them all but have had just too many frayed waists and cuffs to really be in love with them anymore.
Johnny Tee

Some good comments, there, Johnny.

Re your ideal jacket, the original design brief for the Indiana Jones jacket was pretty similar - esentially, an "A2 without knits". Obviously, to get the well worn look they needed for the film, they made the thing out of soft (and pretty fragile) lambskin, but I guess in a real life situation, that character would have had a very lived-in HH of some description.

I know they added a few changes - ie. bi-swing and side-straps, but maybe an "indy" in a thicker hide would be somewhere near your ideal....

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Some good comments, there, Johnny.

Re your ideal jacket, the original design brief for the Indiana Jones jacket was pretty similar - esentially, an "A2 without knits". Obviously, to get the well worn look they needed for the film, they made the thing out of soft (and pretty fragile) lambskin, but I guess in a real life situation, that character would have had a very lived-in HH of some description.

I know they added a few changes - ie. bi-swing and side-straps, but maybe an "indy" in a thicker hide would be somewhere near your ideal....

I had looked at this design, just a little long for me and I dont like high waisted trousers either. I always wear an old fashioned Omega wrist watch, it killed the cuffs on my new Eastman A2 after 4 days wear. And also frayed the wrist knits on my A10 gloves first time out.
As a side line, once in the mid 1980s I went to a 40s theme fancy dress party as Indiana Jones in a plain A2 a wide brim trilby and a whip, everyone thought I was meant to be Howard Hughes(from his Spruce Goose days). Then, I grew a thin moustache and someone commented that if I shaved it off I would look like Indiana Jones:eusa_clap[huh]:eusa_clap Cant win sometimes can ya haha

majormajor

One Too Many
I had looked at this design, just a little long for me and I dont like high waisted trousers either. I always wear an old fashioned Omega wrist watch, it killed the cuffs on my new Eastman A2 after 4 days wear. And also frayed the wrist knits on my A10 gloves first time out.
As a side line, once in the mid 1980s I went to a 40s theme fancy dress party as Indiana Jones in a plain A2 a wide brim trilby and a whip, everyone thought I was meant to be Howard Hughes(from his Spruce Goose days). Then, I grew a thin moustache and someone commented that if I shaved it off I would look like Indiana Jones:eusa_clap[huh]:eusa_clap Cant win sometimes can ya haha

Here, courtesy of another site, is a pic of my preferred fit for an Indy. Relatively short and close fitting - no need for high waist trousers!:D

westedchop.jpg

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Here, courtesy of another site, is a pic of my preferred fit for an Indy. Relatively short and close fitting - no need for high waist trousers!:D

westedchop.jpg
Thats better, the jacket is just a touch long in the arms for this wearer though.
I do like the patch pockets but I am not keen when mixed with slash as they tend to develop a 'sad sack' look about them. And despite what some say I have never seen a vintage WWII A2 modified like this, nor an Irvin for that matter.
John

majormajor

One Too Many
Thats better, the jacket is just a touch long in the arms for this wearer though.
I do like the patch pockets but I am not keen when mixed with slash as they tend to develop a 'sad sack' look about them. And despite what some say I have never seen a vintage WWII A2 modified like this, nor an Irvin for that matter.
John

I agree 100%, John

Sleeves need to be shorter, and simple A2 style pockets, without the "handwarmer" backs for me:D

Jackets like this did exist in the 40's, but they were not really a "modded" version of anything. They were a design in their own right. There was a pic from a movie on here recently. I'll did it out and repost it:D

Last edited:

majormajor

One Too Many
Jackets like this did exist in the 40's, but they were not really a "modded" version of anything. They were a design in their own right. There was a pic from a movie on here recently. I'll did it out and repost it:D

Published on here before, here's a 1939 version from "Only Angels Have Wings"

screenshot20121210at051.png

InsOma

New in Town
I'm also interested in something other than FQHH, since I already have a jacket made with that, and since the qualities of FQHH to my mind include the descriptors "tough, thick and heavy," I'm looking for something more on the "soft and luxurious" end of the scale, although whatever I end up choosing will need to be able to handle getting rained on often. What do people think about the mid-weight horse? Could it qualify as a "soft and luxurious" leather?

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
I'm also interested in something other than FQHH, since I already have a jacket made with that, and since the qualities of FQHH to my mind include the descriptors "tough, thick and heavy," I'm looking for something more on the "soft and luxurious" end of the scale, although whatever I end up choosing will need to be able to handle getting rained on often. What do people think about the mid-weight horse? Could it qualify as a "soft and luxurious" leather?

How about goatskin?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails