Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your Ultimate A2

Edward

Bartender
Midweight horse is nice, as is goat. I have two A2s - one horse ELC, one goat Aero. Both are pliable, very comfortable to wear. The big difference is that the goatskin will stay "new-looking", while the horse will age noticeably. All depends on what level of patina you prefer, really.

InsOma

New in Town
How do mid-weight horse and goat compare to "vintage" FQHH from Aero? Any ideas? I'd want something substantially softer than the vintage HH.

Edward

Bartender
How do mid-weight horse and goat compare to "vintage" FQHH from Aero? Any ideas? I'd want something substantially softer than the vintage HH.

Hard to really describe without actually feeling it for yourself (highly recommend contacting Aero and asking for samples). Suffice it to say, though, that both are significantly softer from the off than regular FQHH. Over time that FQHH becomes as soft itself, in my experience, but it will always be heavier and so less suited to warmer weather / climate than the goat / medium weight horse. The vintage stuff I've no experience of beyond a sample. I'd say it was as pliable as the goat / medium horse, but you'll still have the same 'weight' difference in terms of the 'warmth' of the leather.

Thanks Edward I really dig your goatskin A2. I'm just after something fitted that moves when I do.

Definitely look into the goat, then. It's a superb leather. For my money, I'd trust the Aero goat over medium horse for durability, but that's to personal taste (and I like its tendency to preserve a "new looking" character for longer). If Aero were able to source the same quality of goat hide in black as they can in seal/russet, it would definitely be my hide of choice for the Pioneer 40s Halfbelt I've been eyeing for some time.... As to fit, I'd definitely recommend it as a leather for some of the neater jacket cuts, be they A2s or be they civilian styles. My A2 is one of the later 42 pattern cuts, so a bit boxier than the early ones. Something like the early war (I think Bronco?) contracts that Aero offers, with the slimmer body shape, would be excellent in goat. Alternatively, I'd love to see how an Indy jacket would turn out in Aero's goat (though I believe they won't be making any more of that design).

Last edited:

simonc

Practically Family
That's really informative Edward. I'm hoping a super dark brown butter-soft with a few tweaks will make a really comfy sweet jacket. I love the rustic look of the goat, but I'm being a total slob and going for deluxe softness.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails