Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1890's-1900's early hat manufacture HAWES (Hawes Von Gal) HAT CO

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Very cool, Josh! (that location was in Niagara Falls, Ontario)

Thanks, Alan!! Oops, I didn't even realize that the factory was located in Ontario. I just assumed it was New York because at one time Hawes and E. J. Von Gal had factories in New York.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Heres some more ads that I just found:

1904AdHawesVongalCoHatsVintage.jpg

1910HawesVonGalHatsFashion.jpg

1911HAWESVONGALMENFASHION.jpg

1911HawesVonGalmensDressHats.jpg

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
I doubt any soft hats exixst from this factory. They are gone so many years already. From what I was told , they were the largest har manufacturers ariubd the turn of the century.

Hawes Von Gal soft hat - 1900 - 1910

First off, deep appreciation to Josh for his extensive research on this company - and for his encouragement in my bidding on a very rare hat that would be as at home in his collection as in mine... lounge friendship doesn't get any better than that.

A time capsule hat, in extraordinary condition.

1.jpg

I have brushed it, but not used steam or any other treatment on the felt or sweatband. The ribbon/bow are very soft silk. I did not want to risk water spots or changing the texture of the fabric with heat. Stitching is tight. The sweatband leather remains flexible. The collector who sold it says he purchased it from the original owner's family. That it has been cared for to this extent over more than a century of tumult is amazing.

2.jpg

3.jpg

The felt is soft and supple with a wild, toothy fur quality. The silk ribbon is "soft as silk." Feeling it, you understand rayon as a substitute for silk and why silk is so highly valued for its texture and durability.

4.jpg

5.jpg

Creased as it might have been, as I will when I wear it.

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

Last edited:
17.jpg

16.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

I love the typographical design of this hand lettered imprint.

21.jpg

22.jpg

I found little on John F. Fortune beyond this photo and this small NY Times article mentioning the namesake and his finish time in an 1894 cycling event.

23.jpg

The perforated sweat with ribbon is already vestigial... the bow is slightly different in color, tacked to the sweat at the top of the bows and behind the knot.

24.jpg

I imagine the foil imprints have oxidized from their original tone. The deep orange silk liner remains brilliant with an elaborate decorative seam at the crown.

25.jpg

26.jpg

One small disappointment... any manufacturing labels that remain in the hat are tucked high up on the crown behind the liner. I saw no evidence of them in a scan with my mirror. I will try to make friends with a dentist to score a more diminutive probe for a careful look behind the liner.

This one tiny store sticker behind the sweat confirms it is a $3 Haw hat... on sale for $2.95. Can anyone venture a guess to the words above?

27.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy