Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1920s jackets

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
my longing for an original early-mid 1920s suit or jacket seems to be summoning up some potential candidates.
this one turned out to be too small:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150921966...sid=p4340.l2557&orig_cvip=true#ht_1705wt_1180

...and while i'm a fan of jazzy fabric, this fabric in particular didn't jazz me in the right way.

this one is interesting:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251165274...AX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_500wt_1414

...but i'm not a fan of scalloped yokes, and it seems to be missing a back 'Norfolk strap' which the seller fails to notice.

the summoning continues.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Both are fun but I like the first one more. Maybe it's not THE ONE SUIT you are looking for but certainly a nice eyecatcher

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
The missing strap is curious. But it's good to see that the stuff is out there. I think that first one would have suited you perfectly and i bet that if you tried it on, and it fit, the fabric wouldn't worry you one bit.
Keep searching.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
the 'tweed run' look strikes me as more of an English country gent look, but modernised quite a bit (in a cartoony way).
i'm yet to see anyone rocking a sharp 20s urban 'Boardwalk Empire' look, but i'll let you know if i do.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
this John Varvatos look (mentioned in the above link) seems to be consciously aping the narrow-shoulder-late-teens-early-20s:

john_varvatos_20s.png

kuppenheimer1917d.jpg

...but i might just be drawing my own links.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
I think you're right. That one at the top's a hark back to the old herringbone-ish photographs of 2007 … The sullen pout, almost Pinkie-ish.

the pout's not the point; look at the way they're emphasising the sloping narrow shoulder and then look at the Leyendecker illustration.
i might be wrong... the look could just as easily be Mad Men. but i reckon they might be referencing those illustrations.

Yes, I think you are right - about the shoulders, particularly. There doesn't look to be all too much padding, if any, which would be the major difference between a 20s and mad-men style. though the padding was reduced in the early 60s, it was certainly and obviously present. Also, they have clearly chosen a model with "football player" neck muscles, to emphasise the slope. Most people's shoulders and neck just don't produce that extreme slope.

If they had used a club collar, I don't think there would be any doubt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo