Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1920's light grey belted back SB suit with peak/fishmouth lapels.

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Well everything about it is typical of a US mid-30's suit.
The button height, the proportions, the silhouette, the pleated trousers... also the design of the labels.
This rarer kind of lapel (half-peak or "fishmouth") together with these flapped pockets can also be found on this 1937 Chicago Woolen Mills illustration (the two jackets to the left):

model184.jpg
model108.jpg

The suit also looks very similiar (silhouette, lapel length, button stance, pocket+flap treatment, trousers) to an American brown fleck suit I have... which was (IMO rightly) deemed to be around 1936 in this forum:

USbeltback1.jpg
USbeltback2.jpg

4-5.jpg

I see no hints that would point to the 1920's rather than into the 1930s.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Interesting and informative analysis, Fastuni, and also Nick D. Repeat Performance Vintage is highly regarded as a dealer, and has been in business like 30 years, so I usually take their description/datings/etc. at face value.

Do you guys agree that the back vent is atypical for an American suit from the mid-30s?

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Not frequently found, but certainly not atypical.

This 1937 Chicago Wool Chart has three single-vent back-styles (94, 90 and 55):

coatbacks.jpg

My own analysis would say that this is probably a transitional suit, early 30s. It retains some features predominantly of the 20s, but as Fastuni says the lapel width and the cut of the jacket, along with the labels, are strongly indicative of the 30s. I would point out the rear-ward sloping shoulder seam - more slope = earlier, generally. This one has a distinct rearward slope, but not nearly so much as I would expect in a jacket from early-middle 20s. Much more slope than Fastuni's jacket, which would suggest to me that Fastuni's is later than the grey one under discussion here. There is a chance that this is from the very late 20s, but I would lean more towards the 30s. I'd like to see more of the lining style, and also a better look at the red label in the neck area which looks to me much earlier in styling and is probably a label showing what fabric is used.

I've seen several 1930s sports-styled jackets with the long central rear vent.

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Baron, the shoulder seams on my jacket are just as much angled to the back.
I'm pretty sure that both suits are from around the same time... mid-30's (1933-37) that is.

SAM_4562.jpg

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Yes, they are forward facing, but as you know these kind of "British/Euro manner" pleats can be found also on 1940's US suits. Probably just the taste of the costumer (maybe informed by his origin).
But I think until the early-mid 1930's US trousers in general were usually made the "conservative" way without pleats, no? The presence of pleats is IMO yet another hint (albeit not the strongest) towards the 1930's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR