1930s French "Personality" shirt - 19" collar!!

Discussion in 'Vintage Finds and Deals' started by Baron Kurtz, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Rudie

Rudie Call Me a Cab

Crazy. It's as long as trousers with a long inseam and high rise. Even longer than the Jantzen shirt. The fabric is great, too.

2. yeah, I was hoping the collar would be 15!

3. Two Types

Two Types I'll Lock Up

And I was hoping the collar would be 17 and a half. I can't believe how big the collar is.

Mind you, it's so long, I could wear it as a nightshirt.

4. Rudie

Rudie Call Me a Cab

Well, if the collar was 15.5 and full sleeve length was 38 ...

5. Two Types

Two Types I'll Lock Up

6. herringbonekid

herringbonekid I'll Lock Up

i think it is a nightshirt going by the length of the tails.

7. herringbonekid

edit: having looked at the second shirt i'm not so sure. that one also has incredibly long tails.

i did know someone (Max from the shop Cenci) who reckoned that European shirts where cut so long so that they could double as nightshirts.

8. Mate, these things are LOONNGG - I have another French one that's this long, and in amazing fabric. Look at the collars - never have I seen nightshirts with that kind of collar - always with little tab spread collars, if any.

bk

9. Rudie

Rudie Call Me a Cab

Can't wear skinny hipster jeans with these. :D

10. herringbonekid

Baron, you don't buy the doubling as nightshirt theory then ? (i take no responsibility for starting it) ;)

if not, why the extreme length ? all it will do is bunch up around your nethers.

11. The Wiser Hatter

The Wiser Hatter I'll Lock Up

Man I would like to see a picture of RC. He must have been huge.

12. I came up with some wacko theory that the tails were so long to enable new collars and cuffs to be cut when the first ones wore out. :eusa_clap[huh]

bk

13. The pink one is measured 18", so around about a 17.5" collar size, TwoTypes!!

14. Two Types

Two Types I'll Lock Up

Cheers. I didn't check the measurements after reading the initial reference to a 19 inch collar. I'll have to have a proper look ...
    ... I might be getting myself a new nightshirt (or shirt with spare fabric for a replacement collar)!

15. Ben Stephens

Ben Stephens One of the Regulars

I dont buy that either Baron. Why not just sell it with extra fabric if that was the case, or, an extra set of tails and cuffs. I have read that soldiers in WW1 used to pull the back of the shirt to the front and pin it to stop it moving and becoming untucked.

Apparently Amelia Earhart added tail length to womans shirts in her line of clothes, as she was annoyed that mens shirts would stay tucked in all day, and the first time a women moved her shirt would untuck.

However, with high rise trousers and extra long shirts, is that not belt and braces?

16. Ben Stephens

Ben Stephens One of the Regulars

(Just to say, I have only read the Amelia tory in Blog, and have not seen a first hand quote from her)

17. Two Types

Two Types I'll Lock Up

In World War 2 British soldiers cut the tails from their collarless shirts to make collars and ties when going on leave (in an attempt to look as smart as American soldiers on leave).

18. Qirrel

Qirrel Practically Family

Can attest to the fact that longer shirts stay tucked in and look better than short ones. But 44"? I have made a few shirts from old patterns myself, and they recommended about 30" as a good length even for larger sizes.