Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1935 suit illustrations: Sample Book

Wild Root

Gone Home
Ooooooh so coooooool! That Norfolk is really cool! The sport coats are so sweet and the belted stuff, all of it! Just fantastic!

Thanks Marc for posting these! I'd also enjoy seeing some of the swatches some time!

It's all about the crazy rare obscure stuff in those catalogs! The belted back overcoats are so cool! I wish they were easy to find but, they're not.

=WR=

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Second image, far right, blue suit...I've got one in tan. From the liner material, it's probably late '40s, but the design isn't a stitch different.

Wool gabardine, paid all of $10 for it. Didn't have to have it tailored at all.
I'll have to find the other photo when I get home.

tan_suit.jpg

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
The Wingnut said:
It's probably late '40s, but the design isn't a stitch different.

Wingnut, you raise an interesting point that deserves a whole thread of its own. We sometimes run across vintage suits (and ties) that hark to past -- or future -- decades. I've found '70s suits, custom made by Italian-American tailors, in a '30s cut with '30s-type wool. I've had some '40s ties that you'd swear were designed by Peter Maxx or Andy Warhol. "Progress" does not move in a straight line: it zigzags, darting forward and sometimes back.

Marty M.

Vendor
Speachless in Minneapolis.

Marc Chevalier,
Thanks for sharing. No need to reinvent the style wheel. These look great in any decade. Thanks again.

Marty

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy