Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1935 suit illustrations: Sample Book

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Here are some great illustrations from Custom Clothes: Fall & Winter 1935-36. International Tailoring Co., New York - Chicago, an enormous sample book. These would have been considered mildly conservative suits, somewhere between "collegiate" and Brooks Brothers. Note the relatively small lapels. There are some real surprises here! For example:

Take a look at the brown suit jacket on the left. Even though it is single-breasted, the jacket's skirt has no rounded edges: it has a 90 degree angled edge, much like double-breasted jackets do. Odd! Also, the blue suit jacket, at center, buttons all the way to the top button. This gives it the look of a naval uniform.
newestmisc015.jpg

Some more suits:
newestmisc021.jpg

newestmisc020.jpg

newestmisc016.jpg

newestmisc014.jpg

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
Does your book have all the wool samples in it? I have one of the International Tailoring books of spring/summer styles from 1923 and it is indeed HUGE. I can't wait to take it down to my tailor and have him make me up a suit with a fabric identical to one I found in the book.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Excellent Pictures.

On a recent American Experience on PBS I noticed the cuffed sleeves on 1790's era coats and thought it was a feature that could be incorporated into a suit design to great effect. And here are the pictures to prove it!

The vertical breast pockets are not my cuppa, but interesting to see.
Overcoats have no outside breast pocket for gloves/another handkerchief - interesting. And it's obvious that overcoats should have belted backs. To my eye, it completes them.
In the picture of the fellow on the left with the bottom button fastened - I actually like the getup of the fellow in the middle with the soft cap.

Neet pitchers y'brung thar!

THANKS!

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Hi Marc,

Thanks for posting all those great images - and thanks for the ones you posted in other threads on store displays. All fantastic stuff.

Did you pick this up recently on Ebay by any chance? If you did, I'm glad it went to a worthy home, and thanks for sharing.

:cheers1:

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
There it is!

Btw, I saw a safari jacket at the London Lounge with the similar back to that overcoat on the left. I think that coat with the inverted pleat would be great to wear. Also nice to see the old school Chesterfield in the last picture of overcoats- they made a big revival this winter.

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Vertical pleat pockets

Marc

The style of pocket you display is common on what we call a Norfolk jacket in the UK. See the example below. I paid the equivalent of $5 in a charity (thrift) shop.

6427e567.jpg

Note the gloves protruding.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy