Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1940s-1960s bomber jackets

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
This basic has been around since the early 1930s. It was a civilian style before the A-2, and continues to be made in various guises. To call these civilian versions of the A-2 or the G-1 doesn't do them justice. The "bomber jacket" name came about in the 1940s, capitalizing on the heroic image of WWII aviators. In the early days, some were called "aviation jackets" or "flying jackets", but there was some confusion with the pre-war jacket style also bearing this name (asymmetrical zip, d-pocket).

The style was characterized by short body length, zip front, knit cuffs and waistband.

Let's see yours! I'll start off with some of mine.

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
I just got a "bomber jacket" so I find this terribly interesting. P.S. The label made me remember that I had at least two Californian jackets and that label is soo evocative. In high School I used to wear a Californian horsehide bomber jacket that belonged to my brother. Later I had a suede Californian ranchers jacket. Of course, I was oblivious to what was going on, as usual.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
50s Hercules Horsehide with red quilt lining. Hard to find in black.

DSC02397.jpg

60s Sears Oakbrook steerhide Very comfortable, nice fit.

DSC02614.jpg

50s Sears Hercules, Horsehide red quilt lining. Nice thick horsehide on this one

DSC02768.jpg

DSC02539.jpg

50s Monarch Horsehide. Nice big size, but really short.

DSC02671.jpg

DSC02648.jpg

I have a couple of more I will post. These are fairly common and inexpensive in comparison to the new issues. Great bargains and very wearable.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
The lengths in these old Sears catalogs generally take the collar into the equation, so you can probably take about 2" off their measurements, which gives a measurement about typical for the originals I've had. Same with the weight- they're giving the shipping weight, which includes the box, so take about 8 oz off. 3.5 pounds is also about what you generally find on the originals.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Interesting Dinerman - how did you establish that the collar with in there too? And when did that convention change? Interesting about the weight. As has been said before, sounds like the period jackets were of a much thinner hide than many of the repos today.

Even with 2 inches less in length, 27 becomes 25 inches and when you consider an average American man was five eight, the jackets are still a little longer you might imagine.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Comparing the measurements of what they have in the catalog against originals of the same models from my collection (suits, leather, wool coats), everything is consistently about 2" off if you measure from the collar seam.
The weights are definitely heavier these days. Pick up any original jacket, especially those from the '30s, and if your experience is mainly with modern jackets and modern repros, you're bound to be surprised.

CBI

One Too Many
This basic has been around since the early 1930s. It was a civilian style before the A-2, and continues to be made in various guises. To call these civilian versions of the A-2 or the G-1 doesn't do them justice. The "bomber jacket" name came about in the 1940s, capitalizing on the heroic image of WWII aviators. In the early days, some were called "aviation jackets" or "flying jackets", but there was some confusion with the pre-war jacket style also bearing this name (asymmetrical zip, d-pocket).

The style was characterized by short body length, zip front, knit cuffs and waistband.

Let's see yours! I'll start off with some of mine.

Looking forward to receiving the one on the bottom in a few days. I will probably do a major restoration on it. Love the overall look.

D

Deleted member 16736

I'm so glad you started this thread. I've always loved civilian flight jackets which never get the credit they deserve. There must be something to a style that has not gone out of style in 80 years. It's also the most practical jacket I've ever worn. Your civilian 1947 Hercules with the patch pockets and no windflap is my personal favorite of all of them. Thank you.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW