Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1940s art deco garbage find!

Hawk_Eye

One of the Regulars
So my fiance and I were exiting the rear of our apartment a few days ago and what do we find among the garbage? This beautiful sideboard/buffet cabinet. We were stunned that someone would throw this out, so we hauled it upstairs immediately. Its in great shape, with the usual dings and scratches but nothing major.

IAC072.jpg

IAC067.jpg

IAC066.jpg

IAC076.jpg

IAC071.jpg

Hawk_Eye

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the comments. We'll probably end up using it as a liquor cabinet, as well as storing some of dinner party stuff like our fondue set. Is there a consensus out there as to which polish/cleaner is best for using on vintage furniture?

Story

I'll Lock Up
That rocks as a sideboard. People should make a habit of checking Craigslist, I see period pieces going for free or dumped for pennies on the dollar.

Hawk_Eye said:
Is there a consensus out there as to which polish/cleaner is best for using on vintage furniture?

The old standby Formby's seems to do the job.

Levallois

Practically Family
Hawk_Eye said:
Is there a consensus out there as to which polish/cleaner is best for using on vintage furniture?

We've used a product called Milsek polish for decades and it's always done a great job nourishing the antiques (and the modern stuff too). It's a pleasant smelling oil that the furniture just seems to absorb. Unfortunately, it is not easy to find.

Terrific sideboard!

John

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
FANTASTIC!!!

Beautiful piece! And for nothing aside from the labor of hauling it up the steps. lol

I wouldn't do anything to it... maybe a touch of restore a finish to hide any scratches that the camera doesn't pick up... from what I see, it looks just wonderful, a slight aged patina to it really gives it a special feel... I wouldn't touch it at all if it were mine... I'd leave it alone and adorn it with a nice table runner and a pair of matching candle sticks at either end as would be proper treatment of a sideboard. You really don’t want a high gloss shine on a piece of this nature… It has a wonderful satin finish which tells a story of its own.

Congrats on the find! It just goes to show there are still those who consider this old out of date garbage even today to send it to the trash man! Thankfully there are enough people like us that will rescue something such as this before the trash man even will lay eyes on it!

:eusa_clap

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Story said:
That rocks as a sideboard. People should make a habit of checking Craigslist, I see period pieces going for free or dumped for pennies on the dollar.

I totally second that motion - unless you live in the same area as, me that is ;)! All kidding aside, though, Craig's List is my #1 go-to for finding smoking deals on vintage furniture/furnishings.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Hawk_Eye said:
So my fiance and I were exiting the rear of our apartment a few days ago and what do we find among the garbage? This beautiful sideboard/buffet cabinet. We were stunned that someone would throw this out, so we hauled it upstairs immediately.
I recall helping a friend move a desk when I was in college. We brought it down and left it in the alleyway behind the building (next to the garbage bins) while we went to fetch the truck and we returned just in time to catch another tenant taking the desk up to their apartment. They thought it had been abandoned. [huh] Just sayin'.

And, remember the Seinfeld episode where Kramer is on the sidewalk keeping an eye on somebody's armoire when he's accosted and strong armed by a couple of gay toughs. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24