Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art Deco Bedroom

Mojito

One Too Many
I'm moving into an apartment nearer the city in a week or so (time to move the cocktail cabinet away from my friend's house...she's already missing it...).

My ever-generous mother announced she was giving me a bed as a housewarming gift.

After a day of looking at new beds, I intimated I thought antique & vintage beds were better in terms of price and quality. So we went the rounds of the antique shops. I dithered over Second Empire, turn of the century Belle Epoque, Federation, etc etc. Didn't dare dream I'd find what I *really* wanted.

And then, half an hour before closing time, we found it. There it was, in the window of one of the shops...

French Art Deco. With attached (but detachable) marble topped bedside tables.

It was love. Total infatuation. And before we could ask about it, they had a phone call from a woman who had been driving past and who saw it as well, asking for measurements (I feel almost sorry for her if she comes back tomorrow, thinking "no one is going to buy it at 5.30 pm on a Sunday evening....").

I haven't been able to get a good photo of it, as it was in the window and there was so much other furniture around...this doesn't do it justice. Can't wait until it's set up in the room! With some lovely art deco lamps on the tables. That's the current quest!

So who else has Art Deco to wake up to in the morning? Waterfall suites...some nice walnut veneered American work...English oak...etc...

DSCN0741.jpg

DSCN0744.jpg

DSCN0746.jpg

Mojito

One Too Many
No, but close - Got it out at the Glebe Antiques Centre, along that stretch of Paramatta Road that has several antique shops near Sydney Uni.

It's sorted for slats...I agree, I looked askance at a few earlier beds because I wasn't enthusiastic about the base.

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
Hi Mojito!

It's gorgeous!!!

I wake up to a 30s three piece bedroom set of walnut with an unusual laburnum inset. It was £110 for the whole set about 6 years ago. Where else could you get a decent chunk of furniture for so little and such good quality?

Are you the lady who knows Walter by the way? If it's you, please tell him Kate says 'hello'

K

Mojito

One Too Many
I love early high style French Art Deco too, Forgotten Man...I'm not sure how much room I'm going to have in the new apartment, but am already looking at buying more pieces. I won't have space for it, but I'd love to get a sideboard in a similar style (although it wouldn't quite match my c.1930 beloved cocktail cabinet).

Not sure what I'm going to do with the bedspread yet, Binkie - I have to work out the colour scheme. I'd naturally go for a stronger contrast, but think that bedroom colours tended to be more muted. At any rate, there will be a vintage boudoir pillow or two on it, including one with a boudoir doll face (not to mention my boudoir doll herself).

Love the sound of that, Kitty - I'm very partial to the use of walnut in furniture of the era. And yes - having gone around pricing and examining contemporary furniture first, my preferences for antique and vintage were confirmed! Some of the cheaper, mass produced Depression era stuff can be flimsier, but there's so much excellent quailty, beautifully crafted furniture as well. A friend's father, who once worked as a carpenter, went over my cocktail cabinet with a fine tooth comb and explained exactly why it was such a beautifully made piece (he fell in love with it and had to examine it in detail). And yes, I do know Walter! He's an absolute doll - I'll pass on your regards in Napier next Feb, if I don't see him beforehand.

Absinthe, that sounds gorgeous - I do love the look of Waterfall. So sleek and beautiful.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
What a spectacular find, Mojito! May it bring you many nights of blissful slumber.

swinggal

One Too Many
Awesome find! My buffet has a panel almost identical to the details on the bed. I love French AD too. I have a dresser and 2 matching wardrobes also. Deco pieces make a home so much warmer I feel and I love thew simple lines.

Gingerella72

A-List Customer
When you get it set up in your new place, be sure to take more photos!

Hopefully the mattress isn't vintage....much as we love the aesthetics of the past it isn't worth the back and neck problems sleeping on an old mattress!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo