Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"1940's Hairstyles" The book will break the bank

Naama

Practically Family
Oh, by the way, there's a great site; nocturne, has great tips on pincurls and fingerwaves, but unfortunately no real setting instructions, which I can't really find anywhere :/

Naama

decodoll

Practically Family
RetroModelSari said:
What I actually saw "Art Deco Hair" before X-MAs was that they actually HAD it on amazon.com for 19,95 $. I don?Ǭ¥t have a credit-card cause that?Ǭ¥s not so usual in Germany so I asked an American friend to badly get me a copy of it!!! Unfortunately he forgot it!!!!!!!!!!!! And now it?Ǭ¥s out of print again! :rage:

I've seen Amazon make mistakes before. Streamline Press has been out of business for at least a couple of years now, I think. I doubt you would have gotten it anyway. Lots of people have the 1940s book and it comes up on ebay even though it goes for a lot. Have you ever heard of anyone that actually has the Deco Hairstyles book? I think if it had ever actually been shipped someone here would have gotten it. :)

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I did actually see the "Art Deco Hairstyles" book at the Vintage Fashion expo probably like 5 years ago. *le sigh* but then I was more into edwardian and victorian vintage, so I didn't pick it up.

decodoll

Practically Family
wow...must be at least a few copies out there then. Just imagine what that would go for on ebay if it ever came up! Do you remember who was selling it? Maybe Streamline Press had a booth? I don't think Amazon ever had it before they went out of business because I was watching it pretty closely.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
It was Alteryears. I have since been back to their store (when they had one) and to their booth when they're at faires and whatnot. And no luck :(

They used to always have a booth right by the front door at the Vintage Expo until about 3 or 4 years ago.

here's a link: http://www.alteryears.com

decodoll

Practically Family
Oh yes...I know Alteryears...have been planning on ordering from them for years. Thanks. :)

It is too bad. You would think that the author would want to get them published somewhere else even if she doesn't want to run Streamline Press anymore since they are so popular.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Good resource

I just came across this web site, they actually sell vintage hair magazines and text books from beauty school. I just bought one, and the gentleman who runs the place is really nice. He doesn't have any mags from earlier than 1960, but he says he does get them in. He's also got some good pics up. Check it out.
http://www.hairarchives.com

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
Yeah i really wonder why those are not published again cause there is such a big interest in those. If I would be having a company for book-print damn, I?Ǭ¥d get the rights for those!!! People in the Scene are searching for those all over the world so one could get rid of those easily!

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yahoo, I won it!

I am very pleased to say that I won the "1940's Hairstyles" book on ebay, and for a lot less than I expected to pay. I just got it in the mail and it is great. I'm looking forward to spending some quality time with my hair this weekend. I don't know much about copyright laws, but if anyone would like photocopies of it, I would be more than happy to get them to you (is this legal?)
Hope you all are doing well,
Cheryl:)

swankysister

New in Town
*sigh* Daniela Turudich...

When her most recent books (1920s/30s hairstyles?) were listed as 'pre-order' on Amazon, I applied, only to go from 'about to print' to 'out of print and unavailable'...que? For about one year, I kept an eye on Amazon & ebay for second hand copies, but was budgetarily-disadvantaged (or financially unable/unwilling) to pay the price.

Gaia bless my mother, who as a librarian, sourced the 1940s hairstyle book as an inter-library loan. I was able to view the book and learn about pin curls. Doesn't mean that I can perform these architectural creations, just that I had access to the information in hard copy form before further research revealed that the technique didn't particularly work for me.

So, I strongly suggest a friendly enquiry with your local council/University/whatever library to see if you can pay a small fee to transfer a copy to your local area before testing it out, or deciding to purchase.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Trickeration said:
I curl about 2 hours before a gig and let it dry all the way. A hair dryer is okay, but it frizzes it a little.

You might try a bonnet dryer. I bought one for my mom about a year ago at jcpenney.com for about $20.

Vanessa

One Too Many
Just be careful - Lauren was telling me the other day about how she burned her bonnet (now that just sounds funny. . . .) while wearing sponge curlers.

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
I posted this info in another thread, but here it is again. Alibris.com is a great place to look for old books. When I see something on Ebay I want I go check there first to see if anyone is selling it. I don't know what Daisy Buchanan paid but it sounds like she got a good deal. There are two copies of the book there, one is $139.60 the other is $805.88! I'm not sure what's up with that.

alibris

Dashingemt

New in Town
PLEASE HELP

I have been trying to get this book for my wonderful girlfriend. I have been jipped by ebay twice and now time is of the essence. We are going to a wedding with a swing theme and she is stressing out about her hair. I am not going to take ANOTHER chance on ebay for 150 bucks and hope for the best. Is there anyone out there that can help. Maybe a few photo copied pages with some good "swing" styles. Thanks to all, and Im new here, you will be hearing from me a lot....LOVE THIS SITE so far!!!

Cheers
Mike

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Ahh, maybe she will go for the sultry Lauren Bacall look, or a ravishing Hedy Lamarr 'do! I'll bring the book to work tomorrow and copy a few pages on hairdos and pincurling. If she isn't used to pincurling her hair, it might be a good idea for her to practice before the big day.

Dashingemt

New in Town
Good to know

You are pretty much speaking spanish to me, however she will know what to do and she will be VERY happy...and thats what matters to me. THANKS AGAIN

SwingCat123

New in Town
Dashingemt said:
You are pretty much speaking spanish to me, however she will know what to do and she will be VERY happy...and thats what matters to me. THANKS AGAIN

I guess I'm a bit jaded by too many relationships gone bad, but its so refreshing to hear you going to such length for your gal. The guys never seem to understand my search for the perfect style and If I told them I was going to spend a couple hundred $$ for a book about it they would look at me like Im nuts.

Your gal is really lucky!:arated:

Dashingemt

New in Town
Thanks

SwingCat123 said:
I guess I'm a bit jaded by too many relationships gone bad, but its so refreshing to hear you going to such length for your gal. The guys never seem to understand my search for the perfect style and If I told them I was going to spend a couple hundred $$ for a book about it they would look at me like Im nuts.

Your gal is really lucky!:arated:

First of all thank you!!! But the way she supports my things (season tix to the fresno grizzlies, my cigar room) Its only fair. Where in Nor Cal are you. I grew up in Lincoln. I live a little farther south now but all my friends are still up there!

SwingCat123

New in Town
Dashingemt said:
First of all thank you!!! But the way she supports my things (season tix to the fresno grizzlies, my cigar room) Its only fair. Where in Nor Cal are you. I grew up in Lincoln. I live a little farther south now but all my friends are still up there!
Actually Im all the way up in McKinleyville but went to college for a while in Yuba City so I've spent some time in Lincoln and have some friends there too. Small state.

Dashingemt

New in Town
Way up north

Yeah thats a lil farther north than me. I had some family in Yreka. Now thats north. What college in Yuba??? Thats a small town

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters