Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"1940's Hairstyles" The book will break the bank

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Now that I have a small vintage wardrobe, and have been dressing vintage as much as possible, I have started playing with my hair. I have found all of your threads on hair so very helpful, thank you. I really liked Kael's hair, and have been able to emulate it to some extent, still need a lot of practice. I have taken all of your advice, and bought all different kinds of rollers, pins, and irons. My arms are sore, and I've got a few burns, but i know one day my hair will hopefully look as good as all of yours! Well in my quest for knowledge about hair of the times, I decided "i'll just buy a book of instruction". WOW, I had no idea how rare they can be. They are a collectors item, and can be more expensive than a beautiful 1930's gown! So in my hunting I came across this, why is the market for these so high?
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/us...sc=0&page=/bookSearch/isbnInquiry.asp&wbflg=N
I would love to own a book like this, but I'd have to get a second job! Now I know why you all post pics from magazines and books when you come across them. Are there any books on hairstyling that are affordable? I find all of your advice wonderful, but I would really like a handbook that I can refer to.
Any advice you might have is appreciated
Daisy (Spiely)

maisie

Practically Family
I bought that book a couple of years ago, back when it was still in print! But now they are going for stupid prices, I mean $800 for a book! Even though I have it I have never even used it! Seeing as the only ways of doing the hairdstyles in that book is by using pincurls, which I'm unable to do!:rolleyes: I just rollar my hair in normal plastic rollars, along with setting lotion, and then style the front and leave the rest of it down. So rather than buying a book like that I suggest you just take tips off other people, watch old 1930/1940s films or modern 1940s themed films (like Pearl Harbour, love the dresses in that film:) :rolleyes: ) or just have a go at different styles by yourself and with enough practice they will come out looking great!!

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
It's out of print which is why it's so high.Her book references another actual vintage hairstyling book,(can't remember the name,someone will pop in with it I'm sure),but I know a lot of the gals here collect actual vintage hairstyling books and magazines from ebay.

Daisy Buchanan

Thanks Maisie and Rubyredlocks
I can't believe the price of those books. I've spent the morning practicing pincurls, but I think it's going to take me some time. I have rheumatoid arthritis, and it affects the movement of my hands and arms, so spending long amounts of time on my hair can be painful. But, I'm determined! My 87 year old Grandmother was a hairdresser. She was just telling me all about how she used to have stacks of styling magazines! Her wedding picture is a picture that I look at a lot when trying to do my hair. It is so perfect, so 1930's. I'm hoping to see her this Saturday, she said she would do my hair for me because I'm going to a wedding. I'm hoping she can give me some advice. Last year we moved her from a 4 bedroom home to a one bedroom apartment, and I reprimanded her for being a pack rat, she saved every outfit she's ever owned. Now I'm glad she didn't get rid of anything, after she does my hair I'm thinking of raiding her closet!

Well, I will keep referencing the threads here, and keep searching for books or magazines.
Thanks for all of your advice:cheers1:

Daisy Buchanan

Good link

Sorry to keep posting on this thread!
I have come across this web site a few times. I find them to be a good resource for pictures from the early to mid 1900's. The pictures are actual drawings, some ad's from the time, but they can be useful.You all have probably seen this before but I thought I'd give you the link just in case you hadn't. They do have a good amount of useful information, and pages specifically for pictures of hair and hats. enjoy:)
http://www.fashion-era.com/

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I bought this book along with the Vintage Makeup book she wrote back when they were in print also. It's rediculous the prices they're charging now. The reason I've heard that they are so high is that the printing company won't print any more. The one I'm chastising myself for not buying back when it was in print is her 1930's hairstyle book. I've started buying old hairstyling magazines off of Ebay last year and now have several from the 30's, which are much cheaper in my experience than those of the 1940's. Look up "American Hairdresser" or "Modern Beauty Shop" and those are the ones I'm always on a quest for. Be prepared to pay a bit for those, too. I've seen them go up into the $40 range, and they don't always give you instructions for sets, but articles for beauty shops at the time, with pictures of award winning hairstyles.
I've gotten the pincurls nearly down, but really, I find that sponge rollers work just as well for me. They dry faster and are quicker to put in, but they last not quite as long. I wash my hair, then put in setting lotion all over with my hands, then go at it. You'll get so used to it that you'll find yourself doing it in front of TCM :)

Daisy Buchanan

One more question

Thanks Lauren,
Just one more question. I went to the pharmacy the other day. I bought the sponge rollers, as well as a few other kinds. My hair is poker straight, and staticky, so I'll have to play around to find the right one for me. The one thing I couldn't find was a setting lotion. I think I would benefit from this because the texture of my hair doesn't hold a curl for long. Can you recommend a brand of setting lotion. I'm planning a trip to a beauty supply store, I'm sure they'll have it there, just need to know what kind I should buy.
It's awesome that you have those books, hold onto them tightly, who knows what they will be worth in ten years!

Lauren

Yup, my hair doesn't hold curl well either! If I use hot rollers or a curling iron, forget it! It's falling out by the end of the day. Lottabody setting lotion is my favorite. Mix it with water and apply it on your hair, or wash your hair and rub it in after it's washed. Don't put too much or you'll be a helmet-head. When it dries, pull out the hair, set it how you want it, then hairspray the heck out of it. It should hold! That's what works for me, anyways :)

Haha! I'm not sure they'll want the books when I'm done with them! The hairstyle one is all sticky on the cover from hairspray... setting lotion... heehee. But what use are they unless you use 'em, huh?

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
I had that book....

....but I loaned it out and the person hasn't ever returned it. She is a leaf in the wind....in other words she is a flake. I should have NEVER let her barrow it. Right after that it went out of print.:rage:

Daisy Buchanan

MK said:
....but I loaned it out and the person hasn't ever returned it. She is a leaf in the wind....in other words she is a flake. I should have NEVER let her barrow it. Right after that it went out of print.:rage:
Hello MK,
I would track her down!! She doesn't sound like a very nice person.

Daisy Buchanan

Lauren Henline said:
Yup, my hair doesn't hold curl well either! If I use hot rollers or a curling iron, forget it! It's falling out by the end of the day. Lottabody setting lotion is my favorite. Mix it with water and apply it on your hair, or wash your hair and rub it in after it's washed. Don't put too much or you'll be a helmet-head. When it dries, pull out the hair, set it how you want it, then hairspray the heck out of it. It should hold! That's what works for me, anyways :)

Haha! I'm not sure they'll want the books when I'm done with them! The hairstyle one is all sticky on the cover from hairspray... setting lotion... heehee. But what use are they unless you use 'em, huh?

Thanks again for the advice, I'm actually gonna go to the store tonight to get it. I use "Shaper" hairspray by Sebastian, it works great, especially when you put a blow dryer on it after spraying, and comes in a gigantic bottle, so it last a while. I've tried other brands but this one seems to work the best, other product usually doesn't stay in my hair. They also make this sticky stuff called "molding mud". Like setting lotion it is very sticky, but it makes hair quite pliable if you put a little in when wet. I'm not sure if it works as well as setting lotion, so I'm still gonna give that a try.
I printed out the pictures that some of you posted, and they are all covered in product! My bathroom is officially a mess, by the time I finally get this right, I'll need to have the walls stripped!

Naama

Practically Family
Lauren Henline said:
I've started buying old hairstyling magazines off of Ebay last year

Ok, I'm really sorry to ask such a dumb question, but by what do you search after these magazines? I tried "American Hairdresser" and "Modern Beauty Shop" but only came across Magazines from the 50's or later.... Or is it just my luck that at the moment there are no older ones... :/ ?

Naama

Vanessa

One Too Many
MK said:

If you donate it to the Powder Room, I'm sure the gals in here will willingly form a posse and track her down.

Trickeration

Practically Family
I wanted to get that book a long time ago. That's just crazy what people try to charge for things. But I'm sure there's some wealthy girl or starlet who'll pay that much because, "if it costs that much, it must be good and I have to have it" I'm sure it's a good book but, $800 good? The following link is what I refer to almost daily.

A while back someone posted a link to www.moviemaidens.com I like it because I see styles by decade. My hair is also totally straight, thin, and staticy, too. I curl my hair, barely damp, spritzed generously with strong spray gel. I use solar rollers. They're just foam with a pipe cleaner in the middle and a metalllic fabric covering. About $6 at Walmart. I curl about 2 hours before a gig and let it dry all the way. A hair dryer is okay, but it frizzes it a little. I brush with a bristle brush and then just pin it until it looks like the picture I'm trying to copy. On a good day, I have very few pins. A bad one requires lots. Ususally I have good hair days and can style my hair in about 15 minutes now. I found a great way to hide mess-ups, too. I took a bunch of bobby pins and wired small artificial flowers on the ends. I just stick them in where I need to hide something. I also just use them for decorative patterns in my hair. Nice thing is you can get flowers to match whatever you're wearing. Here's a pic of some pins to give you the idea. Trix
pict16428fo.jpg

Lauren

Naama said:
Ok, I'm really sorry to ask such a dumb question, but by what do you search after these magazines? I tried "American Hairdresser" and "Modern Beauty Shop" but only came across Magazines from the 50's or later.... Or is it just my luck that at the moment there are no older ones... :/ ?

Naama

Yup, I have it under my saved searches and right now there's nothing. They'll pop up every now and again, so keep looking!

decodoll

Practically Family
rubyredlocks said:
It's out of print which is why it's so high.Her book references another actual vintage hairstyling book,(can't remember the name,someone will pop in with it I'm sure),but I know a lot of the gals here collect actual vintage hairstyling books and magazines from ebay.

The book is CREATIVE HAIRSHAPING & HAIRSTYLING YOU CAN DO...by IVAN OF HOLLYWOOD. I have this book and the Daniela Turudich book. I would definitely recommend watching for the vintage book on http://www.abe.com. Everytime it comes up on ebay, it goes for a lot, but I see it on ABE fairly regularly and it ranges between $30 and $60. All of the diagrams in the 1940s Hairstyling book were taken directly from this book. I was amazed when I saw this. There is no credit given whatsoever. The only difference between the new book and the vintage one is that she leaves out half the text explaining what you are doing!

Lauren, I wouldn't feel bad about not ordering the 1930's hair book. I don't think it was ever actually printed. I kept watching it on Amazon and the print date kept getting pushed back until Streamline Press finally went out of business.

Daisy Buchanan

found a good link

I'm sitting with my hair in curlers, hoping that they set right, and surfing the net. I came across this site http://www.hairboutique.com/tips/tip6412.htm
It shows and explains in detail how to do pin curls. Not sure if anyone has seen this before, but thought I would pass it on. Once again, I really find all of your advice incredibly helpful, so if you have any more keep it coming. I'll be here, on my quest to create the perfect pin curl, then on to finger waves:cheers1:

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
Did anyone ever hear about the "Lockwell method" of doing pincurls? I got a book on hairstyling from 1955 and they show the "latest" in doing pincurls. I don?Ǭ¥t know if this kind of doing it was used earlier than in the 50s. Basically those are like small curlers but you place them upward. I?Ǭ¥ll see if I can make some scans and post those cause I think it will make pincurling muuuch easier for people that are not that good with working only with their hand.... (Well, people just like me ;) )

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
decodoll said:
Lauren, I wouldn't feel bad about not ordering the 1930's hair book. I don't think it was ever actually printed. I kept watching it on Amazon and the print date kept getting pushed back until Streamline Press finally went out of business.

What I actually saw "Art Deco Hair" before X-MAs was that they actually HAD it on amazon.com for 19,95 $. I don?Ǭ¥t have a credit-card cause that?Ǭ¥s not so usual in Germany so I asked an American friend to badly get me a copy of it!!! Unfortunately he forgot it!!!!!!!!!!!! And now it?Ǭ¥s out of print again! :rage:

CherryBombRock

Familiar Face
I've just bout "1940s Hairstyles" off ebay for $100 - but I think I'm going to photocopy it and sell it on - I can't afford to pay that for a book and keep it! I'm hoping it shows more than pincurls as I've kinda got the hang of pincurls from all of yours tips! Very helpful, thank q!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner