Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"1940's Hairstyles" The book will break the bank

SwingCat123

New in Town
Yuba Community College. My grandfather, a former vietnam war POW, lives there and I moved there to be closer to him, get to know him and his life and its always easier to move to a new location if you know someone who can tell you where to get the best burger and cheapest gas.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
My gosh, the price of that book is insane! I've lusted after it for years but on Amazon.com right now there are 2 copies - one for $167 and one for $1310!!!!! I refuse to sacrifice my salary for a single book!

Dashingemt - I sent you an email!

Dashingemt

New in Town
Isnt it horrible. I was scammed twice on ebay and half for over 150 each. Yes I got my money back, but I wanted the book. Well actually my lady wanted it and I wanted to make her happy. I will check out the email, and get it out this week sometime.

Caledonia

Practically Family
decodoll said:
The book is CREATIVE HAIRSHAPING & HAIRSTYLING YOU CAN DO...by IVAN OF HOLLYWOOD. I have this book and the Daniela Turudich book. I would definitely recommend watching for the vintage book on http://www.abe.com. Everytime it comes up on ebay, it goes for a lot, but I see it on ABE fairly regularly and it ranges between $30 and $60. All of the diagrams in the 1940s Hairstyling book were taken directly from this book. I was amazed when I saw this. There is no credit given whatsoever. The only difference between the new book and the vintage one is that she leaves out half the text explaining what you are doing!

Lauren, I wouldn't feel bad about not ordering the 1930's hair book. I don't think it was ever actually printed. I kept watching it on Amazon and the print date kept getting pushed back until Streamline Press finally went out of business.

I got the Turudich book on ebay for about $90 (USD). To be honest, while it's an ok book, if you can do pin curls you can shape your hair just by looking at 40s images and sacrificing a few hair moments to the cause. And I agree with you Decodoll, Turudich's instructions are definitely on the skimpy site. I was considering looking for her 50s book, but given what I've seen from the 40s one, I think I'll just take some images to my hairdresser and we'll work it out together for a lot less than the $250 (USD) that I've seen it going at!

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
I was lucky enough to get the book for cover price on Amazon back when it was still in print. I found it ok in the help department. I find pin curls too difficult and time consuming on my hair and never really put any of the techniques to use. I have found alternate methods to get the same look. Granted I am still happy to have it as part of my collection.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I got the book back when it was in print as well. Makes me wonder why we don't make one of our own with some of our Powder Room gals as models?

MK, if you're reading this thread, can it be done?

VintageJess

One of the Regulars
Lauren Henline said:
I got the book back when it was in print as well. Makes me wonder why we don't make one of our own with some of our Powder Room gals as models?

Lauren,

That is a fantastic idea! What a great way to put to use all of this knowledge you ladies have!

Jessica

Sid Rogers

New in Town
Caledonia said:
I got the Turudich book on ebay for about $90 (USD). To be honest, while it's an ok book, if you can do pin curls you can shape your hair just by looking at 40s images and sacrificing a few hair moments to the cause. And I agree with you Decodoll, Turudich's instructions are definitely on the skimpy site. I was considering looking for her 50s book, but given what I've seen from the 40s one, I think I'll just take some images to my hairdresser and we'll work it out together for a lot less than the $250 (USD) that I've seen it going at!

Hey guys! I've been around for a little while, but have never posted or anything. Anyhow, about the 50's book:

I thought it never ended up getting printed. I wonder what ever happened to Turudich and all the books she planned on writing.

As far as doing your hair on your own, it can get pretty hard if you've never learned the basics, or if you haven't gotten the jist of them. For the most part, I can do my hair in normal sponge rollers or hot curlers, and it comes out okay. It looks more 50s than anything else, but it's so thick that it usually falls over after not too long.

RetroMom

One of the Regulars
I wondered what happened to her '50's book....

I had it pre-ordered on Amazon, for like 2 years. I really wanted it because I like the shorter styles (especially the Italian boy style) since I have been wearing my hair short.

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
I have learned more from just looking at pictures and other ladies' styles than I have from instructions or techniques. I know not everyone can do this so I think a book put together by gals using todays techniques, tools, and lingo would be a great help! Grand idea, Lauren!!

Lauren Henline said:

synapse_shock

New in Town
swankysister said:
So, I strongly suggest a friendly enquiry with your local council/University/whatever library to see if you can pay a small fee to transfer a copy to your local area before testing it out, or deciding to purchase.

I was able to borrow the book through the Ohio Library and Information Network for free! I know other states don't have library networks as nice as ours. I think I'm going to get "The Middy" haircut, but first I want to make a beauty supply tool kit.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Dashingemt said:
Well there she is. Beautiful isnt she. All that work finding the book were well worth it!!! Mike
Wow, she looks incredible.
I can't believe the price of this book has gotten even higher since I started this thread. I got lucky and paid either $65 or $85 for it, I can't remember. I wish I had gotten two at that price. Mine has been used so much, and it's covered in all sorts of hair goo, that it probably isn't worth a penny. I can't believe the prices I've seen, as high as $1300!! That's just insane. She also has a make-up book (i think) that they did a small printing of, and that is supposed to be very hard to come by and just as expensive. I'm gonna keep my eyes opened for both. If only I had gotten two at that price, I'd put one on e-bay with a $1000 reserve!:D

Dashingemt

New in Town
digital rocks

I have it digitally. So she can print out the page she wants and if it gets messed up...oh well. Its crazy how much it is these days.

~landgirl~

A-List Customer
A slight alternative?

If anyone is interested, I contacted the guy at www.1940.co.uk about the 1940s hairstyle book (he used to sell it) and he has recommended this book:

http://www.1940.co.uk/acatalog/Home_Front.html (the 1940s look)

It's on my Christmas list, so can't tell you what it's like yet.. but he does tell me that it is a pretty good reference book which has quite a bit of info on hairstyles!

P.S.
Lauren said:

I would happily model! I can be under the section of how to pin-curl a 'big thick, annoying, wavy here - straight there, layered to help matters - but did it?' maine! :)

Maybe one of the UK girls could pin-curl me, and send the results in? ;)

~landgirl~

A-List Customer
Advice

For those of you who have the book (I have it digitally!) But wondered what page to print and take to my salon to achieve this look:

annafriel.jpg

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
~landgirl~ said:
If anyone is interested, I contacted the guy at www.1940.co.uk about the 1940s hairstyle book (he used to sell it) and he has recommended this book:

http://www.1940.co.uk/acatalog/Home_Front.html (the 1940s look)

It's on my Christmas list, so can't tell you what it's like yet.. but he does tell me that it is a pretty good reference book which has quite a bit of info on hairstyles!

P.S.

I would happily model! I can be under the section of how to pin-curl a 'big thick, annoying, wavy here - straight there, layered to help matters - but did it?' maine! :)

Maybe one of the UK girls could pin-curl me, and send the results in? ;)
Wow, thanks for the link! That book looks like it's great, I think I'm just gonna have to grab it, while he still has it. One can never have too many books on the 1940's look, and I need all the help I can get!

LadyDeWinter

A-List Customer
The 1940s Look

Daisy Buchanan said:
Wow, thanks for the link! That book looks like it's great, I think I'm just gonna have to grab it, while he still has it. One can never have too many books on the 1940's look, and I need all the help I can get!

Hello,

I ordered the book "The 1940s Look" and received it today. I like it it is a very good reference book. So many nice pictures, it is much better than the 1940s Hairstyle book.

~landgirl~

A-List Customer
LadyDeWinter said:
Hello,

I ordered the book "The 1940s Look" and received it today. I like it it is a very good reference book. So many nice pictures, it is much better than the 1940s Hairstyle book.

Wow, that is great news! I can't wait until Christmas now! I was going to buy it myself, heaven knows I have waited long enough for it to be released - but my dad needed some ideas, so I will just have to be patient!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred