Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"1940's Hairstyles" The book will break the bank

katiepickle

New in Town
CherryBombRock said:
I've just bout "1940s Hairstyles" off ebay for $100 - but I think I'm going to photocopy it and sell it on - I can't afford to pay that for a book and keep it! I'm hoping it shows more than pincurls as I've kinda got the hang of pincurls from all of yours tips! Very helpful, thank q!

I feel really awful for this, but I stole mine from the library. They only charged me the original price ($15 or so) plus a restocking fee. When I get rich and famous I will have to donate alot of money to them to ease my guilty concious.

GOK

One Too Many
RetroModelSari said:
I have placed a pre-order for that book weeeeeeks ago and I still wai. they sem to have problems delivering it to Germany *cries*

Sari, I don't see why they should have a problem but if you want to get it sent to my house, I'd be more than happy to forward it on to you.

There is an Ebay seller in the States that I've bought several very good books from. And she despatches really quickly too. She's called blsk.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
After reading this thread I also had to buy that new book even though I should be saving for Christmas! :eusa_doh:

I am also one who has the Turudich book electronically and boy am I glad I didn't have to pay. Though I was annoyed I missed one on ebay last year that went for literally £4.50 (it was listed badly) I find it to be pretty disappointing. There are horrendous typos which is a big bugbear of mine, and I just don't find it all that useful. I get better results through trial and error, and use the book as only a vague guide.

jazzzbaby

One of the Regulars
Daisy Buchanan said:
Wow, she looks incredible.
I can't believe the price of this book has gotten even higher since I started this thread. I got lucky and paid either $65 or $85 for it, I can't remember. I wish I had gotten two at that price. Mine has been used so much, and it's covered in all sorts of hair goo, that it probably isn't worth a penny. I can't believe the prices I've seen, as high as $1300!! That's just insane. She also has a make-up book (i think) that they did a small printing of, and that is supposed to be very hard to come by and just as expensive. I'm gonna keep my eyes opened for both. If only I had gotten two at that price, I'd put one on e-bay with a $1000 reserve!:D

Is this the book by Daniela Turudich? I just can't believe that I am seeing these prices!!! I have both the 1940s Hairstyles and vintage faces! Wow, I am still not believing the price on these!

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
Thank you Gok! You have an PM :)

Yes blsk is a great seller. I have bought several books there myself. The prices are really ok and the books are great! I´m waiting for the one about Flapper Hairstyling right now :)

GOK

One Too Many
RetroModelSari said:
Thank you Gok! You have an PM :)

Replied!

Yes blsk is a great seller. I have bought several books there myself. The prices are really ok and the books are great! I´m waiting for the one about Flapper Hairstyling right now :)

Oohh excellent. I have some of her sewing books too. She is very professional and her books are beautifully copied. Worth every penny IMO.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jazzzbaby said:
Is this the book by Daniela Turudich? I just can't believe that I am seeing these prices!!! I have both the 1940s Hairstyles and vintage faces! Wow, I am still not believing the price on these!
I'm so jealous you have vintage faces. That one is even harder to come by than vintage hairstyles. Hold tight to them, with the way prices are going up, you could retire on them!

Faye Valentine

Daisy Buchanan said:
I'm so jealous you have vintage faces. That one is even harder to come by than vintage hairstyles. Hold tight to them, with the way prices are going up, you could retire on them!

I purchased Vintage Face from Amazon for about $140. I tried to sell it on eBay becuz I was in desparate need of some cash. I had high hopes for it. But I suppose I sold it at a --not so demanding-- time bcuz I only sold it for $100 (which is still pretty high for a book but I had high hopes so I was disappointed...[huh]). Plus, I lost $40. It's been months since I sold it and I miss it very much, I wish I hadn't sold it since it is so hard to come by:eusa_doh: (I just thought I could buy another one later when I'm not so broke).

thebadmamajama

Practically Family
My boyfriend actually tracked down the book from the library for me and now I have a digital copy of it--I *highly* recommend it! Anyone see Turudich's Vintage Weddings? It's just lovely!!!!! I got that one through my university library. So, they're out there...just keep on a-searchin'!!!!!!

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
I just got the "1940s book" yesterday and I LOVE it. It is so interesting to read and the pictures great. It doesn´t show pictures or how tos though. I LOVE IT! LOVE IT! LOVE IT!

Daisy Buchanan

thebadmamajama said:
My boyfriend actually tracked down the book from the library for me and now I have a digital copy of it--I *highly* recommend it! Anyone see Turudich's Vintage Weddings? It's just lovely!!!!! I got that one through my university library. So, they're out there...just keep on a-searchin'!!!!!!
Now that's a good idea! I'm gonna contact a few of the local Boston libraries to see if the have a copy of her "Vintage Faces". It'd be great if they did so I could "borrow" some copies from it. Would it really be that awful to copy the book without permission. I mean, they only did one printing of it, and now it's out of print. Not very fair of her and her publishers to tease us with something so great, and then make it so incredibly hard to get. I'll let y'all know if I can get my hands on it somewhere.
Is it against the law to scan a book and send it to a someone through email, or post certain pages in a private forum? I have a decent scanner and the hairstyles book, at some point when I have a bit of time I could scan it for you ladies and either post it or send it to your private email. If I can get a copy of the make-up book, I could do the same.

RetroModelSari said:
I just got the "1940s book" yesterday and I LOVE it. It is so interesting to read and the pictures great. It doesn´t show pictures or how tos though. I LOVE IT! LOVE IT! LOVE IT!
Yahoo! It is a great book, but I do agree with you that is lacks the how to's. It has come in handy, though figuring out the exact methods of how to achieve the looks she is describing can be a bit frustrating. But, I have a few vintage hair styling text books from the forties and they are like this too. The only difference is, they have a lot of very hard to follow directions, and instead of photos they have sketches. But, all are good reference books, and do help give ideas on how to get the right vintage style.
Have fun with it. I'm glad you finally found a copy.

I don't remember if I posted this link already The Hair Archives. They have a store that sells vintage hair magazines and text books. He updates it often. He doesn't get a lot of books from the thirties and earlier, but he is very helpful in telling you exactly what is in the copies he sells. So, if you are looking for something in particular, it might actually be in a magazine that isn't necessarily from that era. One of the text books I bought was from the early sixties, and it has very detailed directions for fingerwaving and pincurls. I'm not sure if it's still the case, but for many decades after the thirties, it was a requirement for all students at beauty school to know how to fingerwave and pincurl. So, even later decade text books will have lots of information and styles from the thirties and forties. I was talking to a stylist who went to school in the eighties, and she said that pincurls were the first thing she learned at beauty school. They were required to learn the perfect cut's for setting hair in curls, as well as needing to know a lot of the up do's that were popular then. So, check out the hair archives, they might have exactly what you're looking for, and they have really good customer service.

Tourbillion

Practically Family
Daisy Buchanan said:
Now that's a good idea! I'm gonna contact a few of the local Boston libraries to see if the have a copy of her "Vintage Faces". It'd be great if they did so I could "borrow" some copies from it. Would it really be that awful to copy the book without permission. I mean, they only did one printing of it, and now it's out of print. Not very fair of her and her publishers to tease us with something so great, and then make it so incredibly hard to get. I'll let y'all know if I can get my hands on it somewhere.
Is it against the law to scan a book and send it to a someone through email, or post certain pages in a private forum? I have a decent scanner and the hairstyles book, at some point when I have a bit of time I could scan it for you ladies and either post it or send it to your private email. If I can get a copy of the make-up book, I could do the same.

Yahoo! It is a great book, but I do agree with you that is lacks the how to's. It has come in handy, though figuring out the exact methods of how to achieve the looks she is describing can be a bit frustrating. But, I have a few vintage hair styling text books from the forties and they are like this too. The only difference is, they have a lot of very hard to follow directions, and instead of photos they have sketches. But, all are good reference books, and do help give ideas on how to get the right vintage style.
Have fun with it. I'm glad you finally found a copy.

I don't remember if I posted this link already The Hair Archives. They have a store that sells vintage hair magazines and text books. He updates it often. He doesn't get a lot of books from the thirties and earlier, but he is very helpful in telling you exactly what is in the copies he sells. So, if you are looking for something in particular, it might actually be in a magazine that isn't necessarily from that era. One of the text books I bought was from the early sixties, and it has very detailed directions for fingerwaving and pincurls. I'm not sure if it's still the case, but for many decades after the thirties, it was a requirement for all students at beauty school to know how to fingerwave and pincurl. So, even later decade text books will have lots of information and styles from the thirties and forties. I was talking to a stylist who went to school in the eighties, and she said that pincurls were the first thing she learned at beauty school. They were required to learn the perfect cut's for setting hair in curls, as well as needing to know a lot of the up do's that were popular then. So, check out the hair archives, they might have exactly what you're looking for, and they have really good customer service.

***Disclaimer*** I am not an attorney. If you are distributing possibly copyrighted material, contact your copyright attorney first. ***

It is against the law to copy the book outright. You might be able to get away with copying one or two pages "for reference" or as a "quote" but then if you are found to be breaking the law it is up to a 5 year sentance.

Vintage stuff usually no longer has a copyright though. You can copy it and sell it if it is in public domain.

All the same if anyone has the "Art Deco Hair" book, I wouldn't tell the Feds if you sent it to me in a PDF file. ;)

P

Paul

Copy write UK
http://www.patent.gov.uk/copy.htm
How long does UK copyright last?
Copyright in a literary, dramatic, musical or artistic work (including a photograph) lasts until 70 years after the death of the author. The duration of copyright in a film is 70 years after the death of the last to survive of the principal director, the authors of the screenplay and dialogue, and the composer of any music specially created for the film. Sound recordings are generally protected for 50 years from the year of publication. Broadcasts are protected for 50 years and published editions are protected for 25 years.

You might get around copyright by taking a book to 100 friends and get each of them to copy just a page:D

Copy write US

http://www.copyright.gov/

r lush

New in Town
saw this on ebay. it ended already but I wonder if it is any good!
1940s Glamorous HAIRSTYLE DESIGN Illustrated

heres one of the pages....
W5B5.jpg

Daisy Buchanan

OOhh that actually looks really good, and it didn't go for an astronomical amount of money like some of the other ones I've seen. I've gotta keep a closer eye out for things like this. I need all of the help I can get.

~landgirl~

A-List Customer
Has anyone who ordered it, received their 'The 40s Look' book yet - and if so, is it any good?

I won't get mine until christmas - but dying to know what it's like!

Daisy Buchanan

~landgirl~ said:
Has anyone who ordered it, received their 'The 40s Look' book yet - and if so, is it any good?

I won't get mine until christmas - but dying to know what it's like!
I got mine. I was very pleased with the incredibly fast shipping, surprising since it came from across the pond.
The book itself is OK. IMO, it has some information and it's good to add to my little collection of books about vintage. However, it's really not as great as I expected it to be. Just my opinion though.

GOK

One Too Many
r lush said:
saw this on ebay. it ended already but I wonder if it is any good!
1940s Glamorous HAIRSTYLE DESIGN Illustrated

I've got this one - it's great! The first part deals with design principles (which is one of my big things anyway, so I find it very interesting) and the second is all hairstyling. I've bought quite a few books from this seller and I have nothing but great things to report.

hepkitten

One of the Regulars
This is why I love the Fedora Lounge

Like everyone here, I've been on the hunt for 1940s hairstyling instructions -- for a slightly different reason, though. I'm writing a novel set in 1941 and my main character is into her hair in a big way (unlike me, I have to admit.) I need that ring of authenticity, but Turudich's 40's Hairstyles book is on interminable hold at the library, and no other copies to be had for sale less than $225.

But I read through this entire thread, picked up some hints, searched eBay, and found gold!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260085193759

Just purchased and am doing my happy skippy author dance. THANK YOU ALL!

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
Tourbillion said:
***Disclaimer*** I am not an attorney. If you are distributing possibly copyrighted material, contact your copyright attorney first. ***

It is against the law to copy the book outright. You might be able to get away with copying one or two pages "for reference" or as a "quote" but then if you are found to be breaking the law it is up to a 5 year sentance.

Vintage stuff usually no longer has a copyright though. You can copy it and sell it if it is in public domain.

All the same if anyone has the "Art Deco Hair" book, I wouldn't tell the Feds if you sent it to me in a PDF file. ;)

I teach Copyright Compliance as part of my job. Our company policy (that follows the law) and states that if you have written permission from the publisher (or copyright holder), you can copy the item (including books, sheet music, audio music, theatrical plays, etc.), or if the copies are for *educational purposes*, it is acceptable to copy up to 10% of the book for use.

Just because the person that wrote a book is no longer alive doesn't mean that it is public domain (free to be copied). Depending on what type of media it is, the copyright could be as few as 20 years beyond the death of the person who created it, or as many as 76 years. At the end of the copyright period, it is possible for it to be renewed.

I'd be cautious about messing with copyright. It's not worth the penalties if you get caught (fine of at least $10k, to say nothing of possible jail time).

.02, take it or leave it. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner