Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1940's Jacket?

SteveN

One of the Regulars
Gentlemen,

Does this jacket look like it comes from the 1940's to you?
194594323_o.jpg

Given our recent discussion of 1960's jackets, it looks more like that era to me.

If it is a 1940's jacket, what are the clues to dating it? No union label was displayed by the seller.

Cheers,
- SteveN

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
First, observe how narrow the lapels are. Second observe the shape around the notch: the top part, at the end of the collar, is pointed. The bottom part, the tip of the lapel, is rounded. This is, as far as I have seen, distinctly late '50s/'60s. One sees it a lot in films and photos from that era, and not much earlier or later than that. Sometimes Oxxford jackets from later eras have a vaguely similar notch shape, but not that pronounced.

I agree.

Though i would say that there is a 1930s suit for sale (dated 1939) in London whose lapels look just like this. It was undoubtedly tailored sometime towards te end of the 1950s to bring it up to date, fashion wise. I don't think that's the case here, but need to see more details to be sure. the buttons certainly don't appear to be like those found on earlier suits.

bk

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Baron Kurtz said:
I agree.

Though i would say that there is a 1930s suit for sale (dated 1939) in London whose lapels look just like this. It was undoubtedly tailored sometime towards te end of the 1950s to bring it up to date, fashion wise. I don't think that's the case here, but need to see more details to be sure. the buttons certainly don't appear to be like those found on earlier suits.

bk

How wide are the lapels? Is the lapel shape/width part of what you think was altered in the '50s? Also, does it have a buttonhole and where is it placed?

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
If your London coat had its lapels altered, they may well have cut off whatever buttonhole might have been there in the first place.

I agree that the shape looks terrible. The buttonhole placement--low and inboard--is a feature of a lot of Oxxford garments, and it's the one thing about Oxxfords that drives me nuts.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Baron Kurtz said:
There's no buttonhole on the one in London. It's the relationship of lapel shape to collar shape that really throws out the look of the jacket above. To my eyes, it looks terrible. And the buttonhole placement above is on the verge of being terrible.

bk

I sure hate it when I find those. No way to fix it. the jacket in question is clearly late fifties early sixties, or in the last fifteen years or so.

GBR

One of the Regulars
A awful looking thing but 1960s at its worst - or best if you like that.

reetpleat said:
I sure hate it when I find those. No way to fix it. the jacket in question is clearly late fifties early sixties, or in the last fifteen years or so.

This is a real beauty - bespoke by a good maker, IIRC. benstephens has seen it too, maybe he can remember. There were two the same size in the same shop - i guess from the same wardrobe - and one of them sold.

The fabric was certainly trimmed away from the "unwanted" width of the lapel. :cry: They weren't that small suits, either. Way too big for me., not that that's saying much, but still …

bk

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
there was another thread where we discussed that sort of Lapel. You see that shape quite a bit on MadMen. I have one jkt like that. Its definitely in th late `50s early 60s vein. The grey color seems to scream that era as well.
2331167641_1ed1e72c41.jpg

SteveN

One of the Regulars
Eyemo said:
Whats the weight of the material like?

No idea. It's for sale on eBay, claiming to be 40's, but even my untrained eye thought something was wrong with that date.

SteveN

Edward

Bartender
More ignorance than anything on the part of the seller, then, I should have thought. Mostly when they try and pass off any old suit as forties, it's some 80s db.... :rolleyes:

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
SteveN said:
Gentlemen,

Does this jacket look like it comes from the 1940's to you?
194594323_o.jpg

Given our recent discussion of 1960's jackets, it looks more like that era to me.

If it is a 1940's jacket, what are the clues to dating it? No union label was displayed by the seller.

Cheers,
- SteveN
Sidney Poitier wore a similar lapel in 1967 for InTheHeatoftheNight
2735154353_25201dabb7.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy