Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1953 "Healthy Hats" Ad

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
I know that there's a thread here somewhere featuring vintage hat ads, but, for the life of me, I just can't find it. Be that as it may...

I think this ad is fairly interesting: a 1953 Hatco ad touting the health benefits of wearing a lid -- something that we often associate with more contemporary medical advice...

1953Ad.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
healthy, handsome, and smart - you'll go places faster, and get stopped by cops :eusa_doh:
variousstraws1947.jpg

theinterchange

One Too Many
Interesting find, Jimmy. It's neat that they were advertising "sun hats" back then.

Randy

P.S the treatment on hat in the lower right corner of the original advert is really cool looking... "With hand punched pinches!"

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I know that there's a thread here somewhere featuring vintage hat ads, but, for the life of me, I just can't find it. Be that as it may...

I think this ad is fairly interesting: a 1953 Hatco ad touting the health benefits of wearing a lid -- something that we often associate with more contemporary medical advice...

1953Ad.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

This image is somehow disturbing.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
There's a whole series of these ads, all featuring a different international hat. I suppose after I finish collecting the Anderson C&K ad series, I should start in on this one. :)

Brad

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Thanks you, I thought that was interesting. The first hat, the straw, is pretty big looking, but you really can't argue with its functional purposes. The one to the lower right looks great, although I'm sure it isn't quite as protective!

Nik Taylor

One of the Regulars
The illustrator is Rico Tomaso (1898 – 1985) who worked for clients such as Granger Pipe Tobacco and frequently contributed to such periodicals as the Ladies' Home Journal and The Saturday Evening Post. He was at his best illustrating tales of high adventure, including the Albert Richard Wetjen stories about the Mounted Police of South Australia, or mysteries, such as Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe novel The League of Frightened Men. As a fine artist he was represented by the Grand Central Art Galleries and by Jean Bohne, Inc., in New York.

Tomaso taught at the Grand Central School of Art, taking the classes of Harvey Dunn when the class was moved to Mamaroneck, New York.

z15.jpg

theinterchange

One Too Many
Thanks for the artist's history, Nik Taylor. I found that interesting. I somewhat recognized the name from the first illustration, but didn't take time to google him.

Randy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot