Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2 Jackets on TV - Cafe Racers???

I've seen 2 jackets on TV that I really like.
One is on a show I watch, Rescue Me. Denis Leary wears it, looks like a goatskin cafe racer.
The other is on a show my wife watches, Private Practice. Tim Daly wears what looks like a lambskin or goat skin cafe racer.
I'm looking for a nice cafe racer that is soft from the start that I can wear Spring & Fall while riding on my bike here in Georgia. I have a perforated cafe racer for Summer & a thick cowhide one I layer under for Winter.
I don't think lambskin is what I want for actual motorcycle jacket but think goatskin could work.
Has anybody here seen the jackets I mentioned above?
Any bike riders use goatskin for their riding jackets?
Where is a good place to get one? I'm a 44 regular, off the rack.
Thanks.

Tommer45

One of the Regulars
Hey Bud, goatskin is very popular with motorcyclists. It's lighter weight, easy break in, water repellency and toughness make it a great warm weather riding leather. In my opinion the best motorcycle leathers (cowhide, goatskin and even HH) can be had at Langlitz Leathers. My Langlitz jackets are both cow but my brother recently purchased one in goat and it's fantastic. What a nice leather.

As for the two jackets you mention, I don't have any info on them but I may be able to find out about Dennis Leary's. I'm a stuntman out of NYC and a good friend of mine is Dennis' stunt-double on Rescue Me. Although the show has wrapped already I'll ask him if he knows anything about the jacket since he's worn it before.

My wife watches Private Practice (okay okay so I've seen a few episodes too!) and I like Tim Daly's jacket.. it's pretty sweet looking. As for what it is I really have no clue. Looks good though.

Tommer

Excellent!

Thanks Tommer & cool beans about your work & your buddy. I am hooked on Rescue Me. Got quite a few friends that a pro fire fighters & a few more that are volunteer. Was a Leary fan from "The Job". He has a couple of jackets, I've noticed but really like the one.
I have to tolerate the Private Practice, too, but at least Daly rides a bike.
Thanks again...

Tommer45

One of the Regulars
I'll definitely let you know if I hear anything about the Rescue Me jacket. Another show I like is House... I believe he wears a Vanson on the show but I've seen him pictured in trash mags in what looks to be Aero.

I'm sure your firefighter buddies spend their days wanting to put out fires... while I spend mine wanting to be lit on fire... :)

lrg_fire_4.jpg

ff_2.jpg

Tommer

buler

I'll Lock Up
Tommer45 said:
I'll definitely let you know if I hear anything about the Rescue Me jacket. Another show I like is House... I believe he wears a Vanson on the show but I've seen him pictured in trash mags in what looks to be Aero.

Your firefighter buddies spend their days wanting to put out fires... while I spend mine wanted to be lit on fire...

lrg_fire_4.jpg

ff_2.jpg

Tommer

Is that a new technique to break in horsehide quickly??

B

Tommer45

One of the Regulars
Ha! You wouldn't believe how fast it works. Just have a bystander throw a tub of Pecards at you and you're set.

Tommer

Peacoat

Bartender
Cool job Tommer; better you than me!

Back to GTDean's original question. I have two G-1s that I use for local riding. One is an issue G-1 for mild temps, and the other is a LL Bean shearling model I use when it is colder. Both work well, and goat is supposed to be abrasion resistant. Haven't had a chance to test it yet.

On longer rides, I prefer the thicker leathers that are designed as motorcycle jackets, as I feel I would get better protection in the event of a go down.

Tommer45

One of the Regulars
I'm no expert but I've read a lot about how goatskin's abrasion resistance is comparable to thicker cowhide. So you get a lighter jacket that's just as tough in a go down.

Or you can be like me and say, "Eh, I'm just riding around the corner so I don't need to wear my leathers." Doh!

BikeWreck002.jpg

Peacoat, what's the story of your avatar?

Tommer

Tommer45 said:

Your firefighter buddies spend their days wanting to put out fires... while I spend mine wanted to be lit on fire...

lrg_fire_4.jpg

ff_2.jpg

Tommer
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
How do you put that on a resume? :D

I looked at Langlitz Leathers = very nice stuff.
What I am looking for is 1, 2 or 10 tiers below custom made! :D
What is a good non-custom made source for a goatskin cafe racer?
I'm an off the rack shape & budget type of guy.
TIA....

Denis' Cafe Racer

In this week's episode of Rescue Me, Leary wore the jacket most of the episode. It seems to be vintage & a dark brown. It didn't look to me to be distressed. If I were to have to guess, I'd go with horsehide, well broken in. I've got to decrease my number of leather jackets before getting another one. Right now, I'd order a goatskin cafe racer. My cheapo cowhide just doesn't cut it & may have to be handed down to my son.

Denis Leary is still sporting that vintage looking cafe racer as well as another black leather jacket. I've read where there is thought it was a Brooks 511 Road Warrior. Guess it could be one well distressed... [huh]

Navin323i

Practically Family
gtdean48 said:
Denis Leary is still sporting that vintage looking cafe racer as well as another black leather jacket. I've read where there is thought it was a Brooks 511 Road Warrior. Guess it could be one well distressed... [huh]

Have you checked out filmjackets.com to see if that particular show's jacket is listed there? They have a ton of movies and tv shows listed there so I'd check there first.

Did Tommer get back to you with any info from his stuntman friend?

Navin

p.s. VERY cool job, Tommer. :)

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Leary's jacket sure looks like brown Brooks Leathers cafe racer. They are made of cowhide. I read that he wore this jacket in a lame Sandra Bullock film a decade or more ago when it looked new. I figure it must be his own jacket and it is natural wear. Nice jacket.

Bonneville

One of the Regulars
gtdean48 said:
....I looked at Langlitz Leathers = very nice stuff.
What I am looking for is 1, 2 or 10 tiers below custom made!
........................I'm an off the rack shape & budget type of guy.
TIA....

My experience with 'off the rack' moto jackets ($150-$275) is extensive; my advice would be to save your money for a decent jacket, you'll end up spending it anyway. A great many of the zippers on all the ones I've had 'bust out' in 1-6 months, after 6 months the seams are opening up everywhere with threads hanging off the jacket all over.
Over the last 8 years I have spent enough replacing garbage to have easily bought a quality jacket, had I bought a good one to begin with I'd still have it, yet after buying 4 or 5 garbage jackets I have nothing to show for it and never got any joy from wearing the junk anyway.
As they say, "penny wise pound foolish" (....or some similar 'bon mot').

captaincaveman1

A-List Customer
Aye... I'm beginning to learn this the hard way. I'm a stickler for details. My next jacket will probably be a tier above Schott. Perhaps an Aero or Vanson. Nothing wrong w/ Schott. Just if you spend a hundred or two above their retail price you can get a custom job w/ superb leather.

I don't mind spending the extra $$. Leather is a second skin to me, literally saved my hide on multiple occasions!!lol

Bonneville said:
My experience with 'off the rack' moto jackets ($150-$275) is extensive; my advice would be to save your money for a decent jacket, you'll end up spending it anyway. A great many of the zippers on all the ones I've had 'bust out' in 1-6 months, after 6 months the seams are opening up everywhere with threads hanging off the jacket all over.
Over the last 8 years I have spent enough replacing garbage to have easily bought a quality jacket, had I bought a good one to begin with I'd still have it, yet after buying 4 or 5 garbage jackets I have nothing to show for it and never got any joy from wearing the junk anyway.
As they say, "penny wise pound foolish" (....or some similar 'bon mot').

Tommer45

One of the Regulars
Finally getting back to you... my buddy (Dennis Leary's stunt double on Rescue Me) has worn the jacket before but since he has no clue about leather or even cares about jacket brands he couldn't answer any of my questions. I worked on the series finale (got killed by falling debrit) but since it was all fire stuff Dennis never had the jacket on.

If you guys are Dennis Leary fans, you might like this. After 6 seasons of the show, Dennis called a meeting on set during the final episode and gave a great speech about his stunt double and presented him with an awesome trophy he had custom made with a guy getting punched on top and a nice plaque on it. It was really cool.. he even got choked up during the speech. Made me like him a bit more.. it was cool.

Tommer

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred