Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

20 Things You Should NEVER Buy Used

Ande1964

Practically Family

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
#3, bicycle helmets, is a good one. They don't have to have been in a crackup to lose their protective capability. A coat of spraypaint, being dropped once too often, or even just sitting around getting brittle can ruin them, and you'll never know until it's too late.

Ande1964

Practically Family
Fletch said:
#3, bicycle helmets, is a good one. They don't have to have been in a crackup to lose their protective capability. A paint job, being dropped once too often, or even just sitting around getting crumbly in the pads can ruin them, and you'll never know until it's too late.

Yeah, I would never chance anything safety-related for my kids. Car seats, cribs, helmets, etc. get better all the time, and you never know if they've been stressed by previous owners.

Anj

I count eight items on her list of 20 which I have bought used.

Her reasoning as to the items affecting safety is probably solid (it was nearly 40 years ago that I was first cautioned against buying a used motorcycle helmet), but, like many feature writers (who, in their defense, often get assigned stories by some editor with too many pages to fill), she apparently knows precious little about her subject matter.

As to the hats, mattresses, etc, I say she's just cootie-phobic. As to the footwear, well, I figure that shoes that conformed to one wearer's feet can also conform to mine. I got evidence.

And, wouldn't a higher quality used vacuum cleaner (preferably a vintage one, even) be a wiser purchase than some plastic-bodied POS that was slapped together in China last month? The same could be said for speakers, microphones, etc.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Unless there's a serious safety or sanitation concern involved, isn't price the main consideration? Would you go that wrong with a $10 vacuum cleaner from a garage sale if you tested it first? And even if there is a safety concern, isn't it better to, say, replace your bald tires with some better used ones if that's all you can afford?

Paisley said:
Unless there's a serious safety or sanitation concern involved, isn't price the main consideration? Would you go that wrong with a $10 vacuum cleaner from a garage sale if you tested it first? And even if there is a safety concern, isn't it better to, say, replace your bald tires with some better used ones if that's all you can afford?

Yes, of course, on all accounts.

There's a used tire place right near here. I have yet to patronize it (knock on wood), seeing how my financial circumstances aren't quite so meager as they were back when I routinely bought used tires. Still, I'm fairly confident there's a law preventing a commercial establishment from selling/installing tires that don't meet requirements as to tread depth and structural integrity. And, come to think of it, every tire on every car on the road is a used tire, right? Some are just more used than others.

Your point about the vacuum cleaner is equally valid, I'd say. A $10 POS plastic vacuum cleaner at a garage sale is probably a better value than a similar one brand new at the Target store for 10 or 15 times that much.

suitedcboy

One Too Many
I recall getting a brand new freezer and when it was rolled in a roach ran out of it when the handtruck sat it down prior to pushing it into its place. Thought nothing of it until a week later when roaches were everywhere in a home where none had ever been spotted. SO much for new and cootie-proof.

AndrewGWU

Familiar Face
Wow... like you guys I have bought nearly half of the list:D

I have had tires go out and not want to put a new one with three old ones, so I purchased used. I foster dogs, so used pet supplies are welcomed and common in my house. My mattress is used and was free because the guy at the store couldn't sell it to me due to the laws. All but one of my hats are used. I have purchased used electronics, shoes, and even an old vacuum cleaner,

However, I am pretty fresh out of college and as many of you well know a college student will do a lot to make ends meet and I am not dead yet.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
tonyb said:
...but, like many feature writers (who, in their defense, often get assigned stories by some editor with too many pages to fill), she apparently knows precious little about her subject matter.

As to the hats, mattresses, etc, I say she's just cootie-phobic....

I don't know, Tony - other than hats, the only items I've bought used are #'s 15 and 18, and you won't believe the rash I got that night.

grundie

One of the Regulars
The author of that article obviously hasn't heard of caveat emptor.

If you educate yourself about what warning signs to look out for, then there is nothing on that list you should not buy second hand (bar the baby and safety related items of course).

The reasons the author gives as to why you should not buy a used hat could also be used as reasons not to buy a used house.

WideBrimm

A-List Customer
suitedcboy said:
I recall getting a brand new freezer and when it was rolled in a roach ran out of it when the handtruck sat it down prior to pushing it into its place. Thought nothing of it until a week later when roaches were everywhere in a home where none had ever been spotted. SO much for new and cootie-proof.

:eek: In my experience, shop vacs are really great for getting rid of bugs. Sucks them up and kills them dead in the process, all without any use of pesticide. :D

One Too Many
A single smiling ¡¡¡¡¡

A single smiling, when I hear about the " NOT BUY USED THINGS, THE INFECTION RISK IS TO BIG". When you lodge in a five stars hotel, are new the mattresses, the coverlet ? in a fine restaurant, are new the dishes, the glasses? when you travel in a taxi, all is used, even, the swim wear with contact in chlorine is out of risk of any infection.
AIDS can not infect you by any used clothing..lol lol lol lol

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
tonyb said:
I count eight items on her list of 20 which I have bought used.

Her reasoning as to the items affecting safety is probably solid (it was nearly 40 years ago that I was first cautioned against buying a used motorcycle helmet), but, like many feature writers (who, in their defense, often get assigned stories by some editor with too many pages to fill), she apparently knows precious little about her subject matter.

As to the hats, mattresses, etc, I say she's just cootie-phobic. As to the footwear, well, I figure that shoes that conformed to one wearer's feet can also conform to mine. I got evidence.

And, wouldn't a higher quality used vacuum cleaner (preferably a vintage one, even) be a wiser purchase than some plastic-bodied POS that was slapped together in China last month? The same could be said for speakers, microphones, etc.

I buy everything used. safety equipment i can understand, but I have bought used motorcycle helmets.

Other stuff, well that is just ridiculous reasoning. In a way, an item that has not broken for a few years may be superior to new that may have defects. Bottom line, is a used camera for 20 bucks, a used dvd player for ten, etc goes a long way to of setting the risk of it breaking eventually.

And having a dad who has owned a used tire shop for 30 years, i can attest that they are both safe, and lucrative for the dealer.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
tonyb said:
Yes, of course, on all accounts.

There's a used tire place right near here. I have yet to patronize it (knock on wood), seeing how my financial circumstances aren't quite so meager as they were back when I routinely bought used tires. Still, I'm fairly confident there's a law preventing a commercial establishment from selling/installing tires that don't meet requirements as to tread depth and structural integrity. And, come to think of it, every tire on every car on the road is a used tire, right? Some are just more used than others.

Your point about the vacuum cleaner is equally valid, I'd say. A $10 POS plastic vacuum cleaner at a garage sale is probably a better value than a similar one brand new at the Target store for 10 or 15 times that much.

For that matter, with some luck, you can snag an expensive nice one for that same ten bucks, which will be far superior to the pos you buy for ten times the price. Fresh bag and you are good to go.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
150719541 said:
A single smiling, when I hear about the " NOT BUY USED THINGS, THE INFECTION RISK IS TO BIG". When you lodge in a five stars hotel, are new the mattresses, the coverlet ? in a fine restaurant, are new the dishes, the glasses? when you travel in a taxi, all is used, even, the swim wear with contact in chlorine is out of risk of any infection.
AIDS can not infect you by any used clothing..lol lol lol lol

Have you heard of the test done on hotel bedspreads (coverlets)

the hotel only has to change the sheets, not the covers. When they use a blue light, all the nasty human fluids shows up. Eeeewwww.

m000m000

One of the Regulars
That list is mostly just really silly (especially 10 (speakers) and 11 (camera lenses) ), and basically boils down to "don't ever buy anything used if you're a germ-o-fobic or don't know what you're looking for", which isn't really much of an advice :confused:.

cptjeff

Practically Family
m000m000 said:
That list is mostly just really silly (especially 10 (speakers) and 11 (camera lenses) ), and basically boils down to "don't ever buy anything used if you're a germ-o-fobic or don't know what you're looking for", which isn't really much of an advice :confused:.

14 is stupid too. Yeah, swimsuits and undies are worn close to the body. So what? The sweat is the same stuff you get from an armpit, and both that and the possible other things wash out, and any bacteria is killed with the soap too.

So much of this is baseless and based solely on 'ick'.

Pompidou

One Too Many
I generally avoid buying anything used - no qualifiers there - anything. The only exception in my life currently is my truck, and that's a situation I aim to rectify soon. I'm not a homeowner yet, but I'm working on that too, talking to people about what's involved in building a home from scratch. It'd be pretty cool if I could say I even got my house new.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails