Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2015 Stetson Excellent Quality GREEN THIN RIBBON (Preview & Review)

I'm just hoping, for the sake of everyone with a stake in this game, that this higher quality, and higher priced, product sells well.

We here all know that a new hat that compares favorably with the higher-end offerings of 60 or more years ago is a bargain at $350, especially in this age of $150 woolies at Goorin Bros. But for people less particular about hats (we are the outliers, you know, the oddballs, the few), $350 would seem an awful lot of money to pay for a hat.

I can't imagine that Hatco wouldn't be aware of this. Nor can I imagine that they wouldn't set their initial sales expectations accordingly.

It might take a real marketing push to get these hats onto many heads. If I were selling these, I'd treat my customers to hands-on, side-by-side comparisons of it and lesser hats, to let them see with their own eyes and feel with their own hands why this hat isn't so dearly priced when you see what 50 or 100 bucks less will get you.

Yes, there is a market for this hat. And I do believe that market has a good deal of growth potential. Part of the challenge is getting the product into customers' hands. In this age of Internet retailing I'm left to wonder what percentage of "proper" men's hats are sold in bricks-and-mortar stores, where a better hat's virtues would be more apparent to the would-be buyer.

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
I have been informed that we can get the hat in a size 8. For some reason Biltmore only lists their hats at up to 7 5/8 now. I have found that if we call them they can go bigger.

Jeff

Well now that many of the highly desired vintage models like Strats, Whippets and the like are found on Ebay for north of $300, $305 for a brand-new quality hat doesn't look so bad at all.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Well now that many of the highly desired vintage models like Strats, Whippets and the like are found on Ebay for north of $300, $305 for a brand-new quality hat doesn't look so bad at all.

Especially since this new Excellent Quality will stand neck and neck with those vintage 40's/50's classics but you also get a new sweatband that wont dry out, a brand new never worn hat, and the chance to really support Stetson's commitment to making high quality hats that us hat lovers would be glad to own.

I take the prices of certain vintage items, old hats among them, as indicative of the overall level of consumer confidence.

It's a very small percentage of people who will pay something north of 300 bucks for what is, by most people's reckoning, just a used hat. But, it's a big, Internet-connected world. It doesn't take all that many people with a few bucks to throw around to push those prices up there. Same thing with other niche items. Seeing most such categories of merchandise to which I pay a bit of attention fetching higher prices has me thinking that people are feeling more hopeful.

Last edited:

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
I've been authorized to share this....

Excellent Quality hats ready for trimming!

I really like the block they are using for this hat. Very little taper and with the 5 1/2 inch crown and 2 1/2 inch brim it makes a great look for most fedora's. Although I know some prefer a 5 3/4 and a 2 3/4 inch crown and brim, these dimensions make a nice all around great look. Not too wide and not too narrow.

fedoralover

Shaka

New in Town
Oh why did I have to open this thread! I have been putting money aside to get a good straw Panama hat for the summer and now I am seriously considering taking Jeff up on his offer (who wants a straw hat in southern Nevada anyway)

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
I feel good... just showed my support by placing an order with Jeff.

It's your fault, Josh.

Sorry lol :eusa_doh:

You will love the hat though. I have been wearing it for the last 3 days straight. I have only taken it off to sleep and shower.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Hatco will also be releasing a collection of Dobbs Excellent quality hats as well. I think this season will one of the best for Hatco. They finally found the right help for improving their quality and image.

I'm SO glad to hear that Dobbs is getting some attention! Nothing wrong with the Stetson name, but I'm pushing for Dobbs all I can. I just wish I could have talked Hatco into doing something special for the Dobbs Centennial Anniversary back in 2008. I hope these new Dobbs models have wider ribbon, like 2" maybe?

Brad

theoldnorthwest

Familiar Face
I'm SO glad to hear that Dobbs is getting some attention! Nothing wrong with the Stetson name, but I'm pushing for Dobbs all I can. I just wish I could have talked Hatco into doing something special for the Dobbs Centennial Anniversary back in 2008. I hope these new Dobbs models have wider ribbon, like 2" maybe?

Brad

+1

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Brad, it is in Hatco's best interests to push the Dobbs name as they own it outright instead of paying royalties on the Stetson label. But i doubt much will be done in the Dobbs line as the Stetson name is much more known today. Look what happened when they tried to revive the Cavanagh label. It lasted two seasons.

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
I am sorry to say that Matt told me that Dobbs is not getting the Excellent Quality felt at least for this season. Matt is working on other projects that I think we should all be happy about. We need to let them come on there own time. I can tell already that the regular felt is getting better so there is spill over.

Jeff

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
That's too bad, but I can understand, as many irons as Matt has in the fire. I'll wait then. I still think there's a good place for Dobbs in their lineup, they just need to talk up that history a bit. Maybe Hatco's waiting until the Guild Edges are ready! :D

Chamuco

I'll Lock Up
Help Needed

Well fellow Loungers. Stetson will be at a trade show in New York this month and Mr. DelMonico is attending and placing an order while at the show. So if you place your order with us before 5:00 PM on Saturday the 18th of January we will guarantee you an Excellent Quality Open Crown Stetson hat in your choice of Black, Caribou, Cordova (brown) or Sage sizes from 6 ⅞ to 7 7/8 . The cost is $305.00. As a special offer to all our Fedora Lounge friends we will put your initials in gold leaf on the sweatband at no extra cost. However once personalized we can not take back the hat. We will be ordering more for stock but act now to hold you hat. Delivery to us should be around six to eight weeks from the time we order at the show on the 19th of January.

Jeff

Hello Jeff,

How can I get in touch with you to ask a couple of questions regarding this offer and to place and order if I fell ok with the answers !!

Sincerely.

Rodolfo

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Well now I don't know what color I want! Is Cordova darker than Mink? I already have two black Stratoliners. I could probably justify caribou; don't have a green hat but don't know if I would wear it.

If only they had Silverbelly, it'd be a no brainer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner