Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2022 - the year of suede?

Stain repellent suede has to be one of the holy grails of the clothing industry - that and a genetically engineered sheep that produced moth-proof wool....

Seinfeld is exactly where my head goes with the suede too.... I guess that show traumatised a generation of would-be suede-wearers!

And it's nonsense, same as Ross being unable to take off leather trousers (though that is closer to reality as really tight ones can get a bit fussy at times).

You can wash suede jackets like any textile, they'll come out clean and looking new. I've machine washed a few suede jackets at least twice and my only suede pants about a good dozen times to no ill effect. They're a tiny bit stiff once dry but soon settle in the same they were before the wash.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
These suède Levi's truckers are 60 years old. Yes they have some spots here and there. I call those character. Nothing to worry about.

4400A18A-FDF3-407D-A511-FB1E4166C2A2.jpeg
48416BFC-9FB2-4C5D-9BE5-B94B1E9D3047.jpeg

marker2037

Practically Family
I have coveted a suede jacket for years. Keep looking at Aero's, but I've got the same worries about staining and marks - it's like Seinfeld when Jerry spends the episode trying to avoid getting his one wet, only to get it soaked at the end and ruined. I guess Scotch Guarding it would be one option, though I'm not sure if that's 100 per cent effective. That the cuffs and collars are leather will certainly make life easier, but I'm always reminded that I got into the jacket game after buying a Hugo Boss jacket that somehow managed to get a red felt-tip pen mark on the underside of the left arm, which was put there by a sales assistant!
This whole "suede is impossible to keep clean" shtick is a myth. Suede cleans very easily as Monitor states. Suede erasers and brushes will get out most anything and the rest is just character, like Marc said.
Talking to Greg Field I think it was mentioned somewhere else he’s going to be doing a deerskin option. These are the two hides he’s starting with and he said he will do rough-out versions. So not really suede but it will get ya the same look. I didn’t ask weight or tannery yet though. But I told him a trucker in that light color rough side out deer would be beautiful. He agreed and said he’s adding a new brown shinki as well but he’s most excited for someone to try a rough out deer.

Yes, the deer looks great, but those pictures are not truly representative of the real colors. This photo makes it look like it's a snuff suede color, but it's not. In actuality, that brown is a dark chocolate brown as I had Greg send me other pictures of it and it's definitely not as light as it looks here.

dannyk

One Too Many
This whole "suede is impossible to keep clean" shtick is a myth. Suede cleans very easily as Monitor states. Suede erasers and brushes will get out most anything and the rest is just character, like Marc said.

Yes, the deer looks great, but those pictures are not truly representative of the real colors. This photo makes it look like it's a snuff suede color, but it's not. In actuality, that brown is a dark chocolate brown as I had Greg send me other pictures of it and it's definitely not as light as it looks here.
Yeah those pics aren’t great. And at the moment Field is out my price range so I didn’t press him for all the details. Regardless I think a suede/rough out deer trucker or Manhattan would be an incredible choice. So come on someone with a budget that would work make it happen so I can be jealous of you from afar!

Edward

Bartender
And it's nonsense, same as Ross being unable to take off leather trousers (though that is closer to reality as really tight ones can get a bit fussy at times).

You can wash suede jackets like any textile, they'll come out clean and looking new. I've machine washed a few suede jackets at least twice and my only suede pants about a good dozen times to no ill effect. They're a tiny bit stiff once dry but soon settle in the same they were before the wash.

Well, that Friends show was rot from start to finish, so...

Not so much dirt I'd be worried about as grim and stains, and ink.... stuff that won't come out in a hurry!

These suède Levi's truckers are 60 years old. Yes they have some spots here and there. I call those character. Nothing to worry about.

View attachment 422994 View attachment 422993

Depends, as ever, what the mark is, of course! These look grand, though.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Interesting idea. I wonder what they treat it with?
I have those repello suede bourtons. I also have the casterino suede ones. They feel about the same except the casterino seems to be thicker leather.
Water repellent is very different from waterproof. Very few places on earth rains more than Vancouver, maybe Seattle. But the double leather soles helps to keep things dry.
The best thing about suede is they just need brushing and looks decent. Fairly low maintenance.

Salmosalar

A-List Customer

Yep - I have a sample of that deer too - definitely a dark chocolate on both sides….tempted to go for suede-side out when my number finally comes up on this one….

dannyk

One Too Many
Yep - I have a sample of that deer too - definitely a dark chocolate on both sides….tempted to go for suede-side out when my number finally comes up on this one….
Do it! Do it for me, do it for Greg! Haha. Greg said to me he’s most excited to see how that turns out as well. Take the plunge and let live vicariously through your photos.

marker2037

Practically Family
I'm debating on going regular side out if I go with the deer. Have any other pics of the sample he gave you? I didn't want to bother Greg asking for tons of pics when my number still wasn't up yet.

Salmosalar

A-List Customer
Do it! Do it for me, do it for Greg! Haha. Greg said to me he’s most excited to see how that turns out as well. Take the plunge and let live vicariously through your photos.
Here are a couple of shots of both sides - photos do not really do it justice - the suede side is a rich chocolate brown, of similar tone to seal I would say. The smooth side has classic deerskin graining - it reminds me somewhat of LL sheep but the deer is not quite as thick. Really nice hide, with good elasticity - best suited to a snug jacket. I am thinking of experimenting with a suede cross button design with nickel rather than brass hardare - I think the former would work best with this shade, giving it a bit of a Deco aviator vibe….plenty of time to change my mind several times in the meantime though ! Could have some of the high wear areas smoothe side out - eg cuffs, collar/lapels, pocket jetting etc…..we shall see!

Attachments

• 7C01F521-775D-438A-8F9B-1D3542A68FD7.jpeg
    7C01F521-775D-438A-8F9B-1D3542A68FD7.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 89
  • 57C1126D-B025-44DC-A0F9-C8763A663A4E.jpeg
    57C1126D-B025-44DC-A0F9-C8763A663A4E.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 78
  • 4B5B531A-22A4-46C2-BC20-C0F54B2AB8D2.jpeg
    4B5B531A-22A4-46C2-BC20-C0F54B2AB8D2.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 72

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
The flesh side of the brown pony is a nice brown chocolate with some Burgundy undertones.

But guys... Don't you feel like it's a (total) waste using the flesh side of these beautiful premium full grain horsehide / deerskin leathers?

4388C2DC-5C5D-412E-8E5B-3613601EB100.jpeg

dannyk

One Too Many
The flesh side of the brown pony is a nice brown chocolate with some Burgundy undertones.

But guys... Don't you feel like it's a (total) waste using the flesh side of these beautiful premium full grain horsehide / deerskin leathers?

View attachment 423231
Nah haha. I’m a sucker for rough out and waxed flesh. Though that’s on boots where rough out and waxed flesh can be tougher and better suited for lasting longer or weather resistance etc…..on a jacket maybe not so much. The pony I wouldn’t do, if I were paying for that one I would have it the smooth side out. But I love deerskin suede/rough out simply because of the history and tradition of it. Going all the way back to Native American use up to modern day truckers in suede/rough out.

For those who have limited time. I'm believing this was made by California Sportswear due to lining

View attachment 423106 View attachment 423107 View attachment 423108 View attachment 423109
There's one just like this (older label, pre-oakbrook) on ebay now for a very good deal. It's a size too large for me but were it a 42", I'd already have it:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112