Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

30's~40's Work Boots

Doublegun

Practically Family
Djgo-cat-go,

Thanks for posting the pictures. My IR's are still pretty new and don't have the patina yours do. Have you treated them with the RW Boot Oil? Your assessment of the boots is spot on and there is certainly nothing more that I can add. They are suprisingly comfortable.

I would still like to find another boot, maybe a little more dressy, for work but these will look great when I wear my Aero LHB this fall and winter.

Cheers

CodeRed

One of the Regulars
I went with the IR in rough out, guess I could always darken them w/snoseal, but I like the way that they look rt out of the box...maybe more than my BCherry GTs.

habberdasher

A-List Customer
1920s-1950s work shoes

What did the work shoes from the 1920s-50s look like? I might buy a pair. I'd prefer one that isn't really tall, like a boot. Just sort of like oxfords. Also, no modern add-ons like designs and logos. Leather, suede, rubber, etc. NOTHING NEW-FASHIONED. Say, do these shoes look like 30s work shoes? They look real unique!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...0&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:US:1123#ht_500wt_1057

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Great GT write-up...!

My feet are pretty hardened to wearing boots (tend to wear them most days to walk the dogs X-country). I found the GT's fine. As they get more beaten up, they feel and look the better for it. Between the GT's and my RM's...(I'm a BIG fan of RM's), I'm a happy man!

PS: I don't lace them right to the 'top.' Ever. Try it leaving either the last hole or two holes free and see how it goes.

Redwings007.jpg

mattfink

Practically Family
Those Derby Boots from William Lennon are amazing! I think that's about $220 I think...the RRL boots are pretty fantastic, but you could get a pair of Cat's Paw heels put on at Eddie's Shoe Repair in Sherman Oaks and save a few sawbucks.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
RRL Boots are nice, but...

Not worth 'that' price. You could (if you are patient) get a pair of good originals for less than that. Plus they are not unlike a military boot from WWII.
Gents, unless you are very 'flush' with your cash, please don't waste it on the RL's (certainly not on the full RRP price).

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
I know these were posted (much) earlier in this thread, but here are my "home made" work boots. The black pair are actually my jump boots that I wore that I had cut down, so only $40 there. The brown pair are a some Korean era jump boots I got cheap and cut them down too, total about $100. I think they look just like the work boots in the old catalogs.

Black-Work-s.jpg

BrownWorks.jpg

mike

Call Me a Cab
PADDY said:
Not worth 'that' price. You could (if you are patient) get a pair of good originals for less than that. Plus they are not unlike a military boot from WWII.
Gents, unless you are very 'flush' with your cash, please don't waste it on the RL's (certainly not on the full RRP price).

The price they are charging is outrageous and makes me think if they mark these up double the proper cost then they probably do the same thing for all of their stuff. rip off central! :mad:

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
mike said:
The price they are charging is outrageous and makes me think if they mark these up double the proper cost then they probably do the same thing for all of their stuff. rip off central! :mad:
I love RRL, and bought a ton of it when it first came out in the 90's. It was pricey then, but not offensively so. Once they downsized the line and made it "exclusive" the prices went through the roof. I think their stuff is amazing (those boots are KILLER), but in recent years I've only been able to afford the odd pieces I find at outlets.

ClothesHorse

Familiar Face
Just scored me a pair of GTs- 179.00 please with the price! Worn two days. I love 'em. Now to get my whites to rotate with...

Love solid old style footwear.

CH

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
'30s/'40s Army Boots

Here's a couple of pairs of vintage Army boots:

These are old Danish Army Boots:

D_Boots.jpg

They are NOS but I Valet'd them, polished the sole-edges and Snosealed them.
Leather soles, with rubber heel- maybe they will get a glue-on rubber tap and toe plate.
I'm not such a fan of black boots, so the sole edge decorative treatment was an attempt to make them more
interesting looking, de-militarise them and workboot-ise them. I think it worked.
This is what they look like now. Yes, brass ferrules on the lace ends.

D_Boots2.jpg

These boots, below, are WW2 era Australian Army "Jungle Boots", seriously. 1944 dated.
Basically WW1 pattern, internal toe box sewn through the upper. Very heavy duty, triple soled.
They have brass hobnail-cleats riveted to the sole, rather than individual hobnails and a steel heel plate.
They're fantastic boots but too small for me. I could be tempted to part with them if anyone's interested-
they're about a UK 9, or a US 9.5/10, normal width, not wide at all.
They were NOS too but I took them on one long trek. They are very sound, supple, absolutely rot-free
and will clean up nicely. Very nice vintage boots.

A_Boot.jpg

A_Boot2.jpg

A_Boot3.jpg

B
T

Doublegun

Practically Family
Creeping Past said:
I saw those RRL boots on ACL. It's meant to be a very limited run. It has a cat's paw heel. They've been learning a trick or two from the Japanese makers.

It's possible to get something similar — this Derby boot, which is actually from Derbyshire — for a much smaller quantity of clams. In fact, you'll only have to shell out 125 cockles for them.

Beautiful boots, pretty much exactly what I am looking for, but gawd they are not cheap. The Wolverine "Darby" is supposed to be out this fall - I think I'll wait and see how they look.

DG

Speedster

Practically Family
Cool boots BT. Have to look for a pair of those Danish boots. Do you happen to know a source for the laces with brass ferrules?

Also like the Australian ones. Regretably i'm a size UK 7.5...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred