Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

30's~40's Work Boots

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Airfrogusmc, Thanks, look forward to seeing them. Yes, I've been to Japan many times. It's really incredible the amount of vintage and vintage repro stuff over there. If only I had enough $$....I'm hoping to find some late 30s levis reproductions with the cinch back. And boots of course.

Biltmore Bob, Those boots look like real ****kickers! :cool: very cool! I've wondered about that "kiltie" thing that some boots have.
Regards, Sefton

These ones got away from me. A pair of 1946 US ARMY DISPATCH RIDER / CALVARY BOOTS. And they were new-old stock: never worn! Aaaghh...

calvery.jpg

calverya.jpg

Prairie Shade

A-List Customer
My 100th Post - Not suspended yet!!

The UPS truck just left about 30 minutes ago. He dropped off my Garrison shoes from WWII Impressions. Alright, after YEARS of trying to find Russet Garrison Shoes, the FL did the trick.. Call it networking. My wife says call it quits!!! Horses need a new pair of shoes!!! Thanks, now I can look like Biltmore Bob!!! Adios, got to find a bucket of water, break these babies in, yeah!!!!!Go Army!!! From here to infirmity, I'll be the only one in the nursing home with these babies.

nightandthecity

Practically Family
work boots

I can get real drooley about proper work boots....I think I might have some sort of fetish. Here in the UK several companies still make mens boots to the same patterns and quality as 60 years ago...they are expensive but a pair of classic veldtschoen or welted country boots from one of the old Northampton shoe companies is going to last you many, many years, especially if you look after them. Try http://www.pediwear.co.uk/index.php ...you'll be spoiled for choice! http://www.pediwear.co.uk/index.php

Mr. Jason

Familiar Face
shamus said:
what I did was ordered the Boss Boots from West Coast Shoes, but in Brown, which you have to ask for, then went with the "Motor Cycle Police" toe and the lowest sole they had. This best looked like the classic 40's-50's engineer boots. And now with a little Breaking in, they're starting to look it too. ( I had just done some brush clearing so there is a bit of grass bits still on them...)

--I won't quote the pics--

Those look a lot like these:
http://www.chippewaboots.com/boots/detail.asp?sDiv=04&sGender=4&sType=13&sSubType=118&id=27863

I'm thinking about getting a pair to kick around in and wear when I ride my motorcycle.
The boots I have now, surplus combat boots, are starting to wear out and I can see paying $40 to resole a pair of $20 boots. Ofcourse I usually just buy a new pair of combat boots but maybe if I spend some money on a "nice" pair I'll take better care of them.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Boots....

OK- here are some work boots-
Here's a sampling of what I got- without opening more boxes...

Boots.jpg

Boots3.jpg

Boots2.jpg

Front row from left:
Ega-Beva work boots('40s), Russet service shoes, Roughouts, '40s Australian Army boots with heel plate and metal cleats...

Back row from left
WW2 British Ammunition Boots with heel plate and hobnails, French Indo-China boots, repro WW2 US Airborne jump boots, vintage Chippewa moccasin top boots- 18" tall.

...lucky I only have one leg, huh?

B
T

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
I found the boot for me at last...

while looking at Japanese flight jacket collectors pictures I followed a link that said "Boots" and found myself looking at the very 30's~40's style boots that I've been wanting. They are made by a U.S. company called "Whites boots". here they are:
whitesboots1qt.jpg

whitesbootsside8zm.jpg

It seems that you can't order online so I am awaiting the arrival of a catalog. The boots cost over $300 but look to be worth it. All leather and no modern features at all.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Jake,
The web site says that It'll take 2 weeks for the catalog to arrive so I guess it'll be more than a month before I get my hands on those boots. I'll post pics as soon as I can. I like the fact that they can be rebuilt...gotta get my money's worth out of 'em.

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
!

They cost as much as Aldens! I hope they are as good. Do you know of anyone who has worn them? If not you really should consider Aldens 405. My pair have lasted 4 or 5 years. They have been re-heeled twice I think. I used to wear them almost everyday. They will last many moons and they are the most comfortable thing I have ever worn on my feet. Also there are scores of members here that can give rave reviews. The others are unknown....but then again....you could be the guinea pig.:p

bgbdesign

New in Town

The soldiers in WW2 would break a new pair of boots by "walking them dry"
the boot then conformed to the wearers foot easily. Greatly speeds up the break in process. I did that to a pair of used hathorn boots - soaked em throughly and wore them around for an afternoon. You'll probably throw away the socks so dont were those favorite silkies!

I have a great pair old pair of cork or caulk boots. These are lumberjack boots from the 40's and oiled heavy leather. I had them resoled by my shoe repair man (8th air force veteran who wears one of my original jackets to his reunions) and he did them old style with nails. Great with a pair of LVC beltback Levi's and a white t-shirt.

'best
bgb

cork1.jpg

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
MK said:
They cost as much as Aldens! I hope they are as good. Do you know of anyone who has worn them? If not you really should consider Aldens 405. My pair have lasted 4 or 5 years. They have been re-heeled twice I think. I used to wear them almost everyday. They will last many moons and they are the most comfortable thing I have ever worn on my feet. Also there are scores of members here that can give rave reviews. The others are unknown....but then again....you could be the guinea pig.:p

Fear not- the Whites are excellent- made by a real boot company.
$300 is peanuts for excellent footwear.
Sefton- lucky you didn't buy them in Japan..! The Jap(anese)s love these boots.

They're the 'semi-dress' model... right?

B
T

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
BT, Yes, they are the semi dress model. I like the fact that that White's asks for so many mesurements when you order. It gives confidence that they are serious about getting you into a pair of boots with perfect fit. Do you own a pair? (BTW, I like your avatar. upper-class twit of the year isn't it?).

Bebop

Practically Family
MK said:
Whites Boots (whitesboots.com ) is very well known and respected in Spokane. Anyone looking for a real pair of work boots here, goes to Whites. I had a pair made about 6 or 7 years ago and they are great. They took into account my strange right toe and fitted me as well as could be expected. They make custom boots if that is what you want. They stand behind their product and provide excellent customer service. If you could get to Spokane to get custom fitted, you would end up thinking it was worth the trouble. I highly recommend them. I once tried on a pair of Aldens in their San Francisco store and they felt horrible to me. Very narrow toes.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Why don't anyone use the old standard Wellingtons? They've been around in the same mode forever. The one that are not real tall, barely calf height. They ain't cowboy boots either. They're timeless.
1560.jpg

nightandthecity

Practically Family
I live in the country and wear boots all the time. I wear Veldtschoen from classic English makers like Cheaney, Alfred Sargant, Tecnic?¢‚Ǩ¬¶.the Veldtschoen method of construction is much superior to Goodyear welted, treat the leather now and again and you have a totally waterproof set of footwear, and once they're broken in way more comfortable than anything else you?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢ll ever own.

I have both mid-20th century and modern examples, and as a dealer I've had a lot more through my hands over the years (they were a particular favourite of WW2 British officers). I can promise you that they are made to pretty much the same patterns and quality today as 60 years ago. Some of the best makers no longer exist (the Northampton shoe industry was decimated in the 1980s meltdown of UK manufacturing) but there?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s a good half dozen still in business. Check this link for mail order

http://www.pediwear.co.uk/index.php

BTW Twitch, I have a pair of US wellingtons - people often call them Ropers after the Justin Roper Co. I keep them for stage wear as they are recognizably western without being garish, and much more comfortable than cowboy boots..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy