Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

30's~40's Work Boots

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
cbrunt said:
Hi Gang,

After nearly 10 months wear and 6,000 miles since March (on two wheels and one bone-head wreck...) here are my 16" White's. Started as "Farmer-Ranchers" with request for 16" Height to replicate 1930-50s logger boots which was a popular style for motorcyclists, especially competition riders.
Specified they lace like 1930s Army issue Cavalry boots with hook-and-eye on outside of boot and grommets on inside (so as not to snag on tack). Wanted to replicate a pair worn by Mechanized Cavalry troops of the late 1930s too...

v6jho8.jpg
Okay, I give. How do those boots lace up?

cbrunt

One of the Regulars
Feltfan,

The inside grommet side(s) is bascially permanently laced like a normal boot/shoe and left like that. To tie, I start at the bottom and take the loose loop and hook to the correct hook-n-eye and tighten and work my way up and then knot.

To untie, I start at the top; untie the knot and loosen the first loop over the hook-n-eye, then loosen the next, as I go, etc, etc until the boot is unlaced. Not as easy as all hook-n-eyes but easier than if the boot was grommets on both sides.

Clint

Griemersma

One of the Regulars
Hitchcock Boots

So, I saw these on the 'bay for $20 (buy-it-now), and figured, why not? Just got them a couple days ago, and have been pretty happy with them.

IMG_3555.JPG

Overall, I think they are pretty darn close in looks to the boots that I have seen in the old catalogs. Actually kinda close to old Red Wing 8161's. Sure, the quality is not nearly what you would get in Red Wings, Whites, etc.-- the welts are some sort of rubber/plastic, but from a distance look like leather. The uppers feel like it might be a cheaper leather than on some of my other boots, but it is thick-- and it has a spray finish, which should look interesting with a bunch of wear. Biltrite soles. American made, too. Dropped in some Chippewa insoles and they are a comfortable pair of boots.

Anybody else ever have experience with Hitchcock brand boots?

IMG_3558.JPG

Here are those Biltrites:

IMG_3560.JPG

Vic

One of the Regulars
Griemersma said:
So, I saw these on the 'bay for $20 (buy-it-now), and figured, why not? Just got them a couple days ago, and have been pretty happy with them.

Overall, I think they are pretty darn close in looks to the boots that I have seen in the old catalogs. Actually kinda close to old Red Wing 8161's. Sure, the quality is not nearly what you would get in Red Wings, Whites, etc.-- the welts are some sort of rubber/plastic, but from a distance look like leather. The uppers feel like it might be a cheaper leather than on some of my other boots, but it is thick-- and it has a spray finish, which should look interesting with a bunch of wear. Biltrite soles. American made, too. Dropped in some Chippewa insoles and they are a comfortable pair of boots.

Anybody else ever have experience with Hitchcock brand boots?

Here are those Biltrites:

Great find!! Especially as a "Buy Now"!!!

Optionseeker

New in Town
Hi Everyone, Just thought I would post a few pics of my 'new' Whites boots. I bought them used for about $50 and they looked a bit rough but I figured that I could rescue really good boots. The first pic shows how I got them... pretty dirty, a bit scuffed but pretty good all around. Second pic is after a good cleaning with Lexol and some conditioner. The last pic is after some new laces and a good rub with Viberg heavy duty leather preservative. They are really nice now and probably the most comfortable boots that I've ever worn.

I live in Victoria, BC and was able to go to the Viberg store/factory during my lunch to check out their boots. All I can say is they have some of the nicest boots that I have every seen. They also sell Danner and the Viberg ones were considerably nicer. I may go tomorrow and pick up a pair of Engineer boots.

Whitesboots001-1.jpg

Whitesboots006.jpg

Whitesboots001.jpg

Cheers,

J

79CJ

New in Town
Those Hitchcock boots look great! At $20, they are a steal too. They look new, but there is nothing like them on the Hitchcock boots website (assuming it's the same co).

WineGuy

A-List Customer
cc3d8aec.jpg

ed4c368e.jpg

Just snagged these Alden Cap toe jumper boots on "Black Friday". These shell cordovan sweethearts have been locked down at $600-$650 everywhere but J. crew circulated a 30% off coupon that specifically excluded these shoes along with any other non J Crew items. I decided to give it a try anyway and to my surprise the discount got applied and I got them for $418, no tax and free shipping. I've never owned shell cordovan footwear before and I have to say they are a dream. It's like going from a Chevy to a Beemer. I love the vintage look and they work with everything from jeans to my suits .

Just a heads up for anyone considering them, they are a full half size bigger than normal. I wear a size 10E yet these 9.5 B/D fit like a glove with room for heavy socks.

jonbuilder

Unfortunately Jcrew only carry Alden in width medium or D. My size in the barrie last is 9.5E, which is the last I assume the Jcrew boots are made on. The Alden web catalog does not include the jcrew boots. I found the going price for the jcrew style boots which in back or color 8 to be $579. Shoemart does stock the same Alden boot in E width. I am coinciding the Chukka in cigar which ups the cost to $632 for the cigar color. I already have a couple pair or White’s packers and a pair of semi dress that are being re-soled by a local cobbler. I also have a dozen pair of cowboy boots and some Allen Edmond all pick of the bay at cheap prices used. I think the cordovan Chukka could be dressed up or down but I would not be doing heavy construction, yard work or back trail hiking in them.

WineGuy

A-List Customer
Unfortunately Jcrew only carry Alden in width medium or D. My size in the barrie last is 9.5E, which is the last I assume the Jcrew boots are made on. The Alden web catalog does not include the jcrew boots. I found the going price for the jcrew style boots which in back or color 8 to be $579. Shoemart does stock the same Alden boot in E width. I am coinciding the Chukka in cigar which ups the cost to $632 for the cigar color. I already have a couple pair or White’s packers and a pair of semi dress that are being re-soled by a local cobbler. I also have a dozen pair of cowboy boots and some Allen Edmond all pick of the bay at cheap prices used. I think the cordovan Chukka could be dressed up or down but I would not be doing heavy construction, yard work or back trail hiking in them.

Actually these boots are built on the Truebalance last and are on the wide side. As I mentioned in my post, I wear a 10E and these boots accommodate my wide foot beautifully in a 9.5D. You would probably be a size 9 with this boot. If the J. Crew web site hasn't yet picked up on the discount error then this is the cheapest you will ever find these boots.

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Upon the recent blast of cold weather, and even colder snowstorms, I realized my wardrobe was severely lacking in the boot department. As in, I had absolutely none. So after fighting the temptation to inflict severe and nearly irreparable damage upon my budget, in the name of obtaining some beautiful White's Semi Dress boots (or even a pair of their slightly less desirable Otto White Vintage boots), a small semblance of reason fought its way into my head and told me to start investigating alternate routes. So, one day, while on my daily course of running some trivial errands, I stumbled across my local Johnston and Murphy store. Walking into the store, my eyes immediately fell upon these; a pair, while not exactly identical to 30's work boots or even some 40's aviator boots, at least seemed a nod in the right direction to Classic Style.

The color in person is a much more wholesome, warmer, and richer brown, with hints of a cherry-mahogany underneath. A rub down with some Lexol only served to improve that. The outsole is all-rubber, and the insole is a removable pad of contoured memory foam. They are not overly heavy, but still feel like a solid, well made product. And best of all, only cost $150 ($100 on sale when I bought them), in stark contrast to the $400 White's with a one month wait, or the $350 Wolverine 1000 Mile's, with a toe box that looks like a giant thumb.

So are they genuine vintage? No. Are they custom sized and handmade White's SD's? No. Are they Goodyear welted, with a stacked leather heel, and two part rubber sole? No. Are they close enough to what I wanted, with a price that leaves me more than happy? Certainly. And that's all I can ask for in a shoe.

Cheers,

jonbuilder

Truebalance last vs Berrie last

Actually these boots are built on the Truebalance last and are on the wide side. As I mentioned in my post, I wear a 10E and these boots accommodate my wide foot beautifully in a 9.5D. You would probably be a size 9 with this boot. If the J. Crew web site hasn't yet picked up on the discount error then this is the cheapest you will ever find these boots.

WG:
I hear you about the last; I was fitted at Alden in San Francisco for the Barrie last in the chukka boot size 9.5 E which is a generous sized last. I am not familiar with the Truebalance last, you think there would be more room in the TB last over the Berrie last? I know it’s off topic with the 30s 40s work boots, but I did just scratched my itch for Cordovan Shells with a pair of Hanover oxfords shoes.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...2wP%2Fg%3D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT

WineGuy

A-List Customer
WG:
I hear you about the last; I was fitted at Alden in San Francisco for the Barrie last in the chukka boot size 9.5 E which is a generous sized last. I am not familiar with the Truebalance last, you think there would be more room in the TB last over the Berrie last? I know it’s off topic with the 30s 40s work boots, but I did just scratched my itch for Cordovan Shells with a pair of Hanover oxfords shoes.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...2wP%2Fg%3D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT

JB, I'm the flip side of you...I've never worn the Barrie last, but all I can tell you is that I have a wide size 10 foot and the 9.5D Truebalance fits perfect and has a good sized toe box which might be more a factor of the cap toe design than anything else.

mattfink

Practically Family
I've got a pair of White's Semi Dress that I've been wearing for the past several months. I can guarantee you that they are worth the cash.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy