Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

30's~40's Work Boots

Whacky

New in Town
Still waiting my friend.

I called White's and placed the order 4 weeks ago, as of yesterday. They told me at that time it would take roughly 4 weeks.

They sent me an invoice dated on the 17th of Jan, so, by that date, it will be four weeks on Feb 14th.

I will definitely post pictures as soon as they come in.

Not yet, huh? You're itching to get 'em and I'm itching to see 'em. How about you Whacky? Did your boots come in yet?

univibe88

One Too Many
I'm trying to just forget about mine and not count the days. It makes the waiting more tolerable for me. And then it will be a pleasant surprise when I come home one day and find a box on my door step.

Whacky

New in Town
Yeah, it was easy to put it out of my mind earlier.
But now that is is closer to the quoted 4 weeks, I am growing increasingly impatient.

I hope they get here soon.

I'm trying to just forget about mine and not count the days. It makes the waiting more tolerable for me. And then it will be a pleasant surprise when I come home one day and find a box on my door step.

univibe88

One Too Many
There must be 50 or so leather/color combos. I had a very hard time deciding one which color and leather. I decided to go with water buffalo simply because it's a bit different than the usual cow leather that most shoes are made of. Although I must say french calf is a very attractive choice, also.

Once I decided on water buffalo, that left me with 6 colors to choose from.

As for black cherry, it was also a very hard choice. I knew I wanted a shade of brown. I thought long and hard about the cognac, but then just decided to go with the black cherry. The cognac is beautiful but very bold.

Whacky

New in Town
How were you able to see enough pictures of the different leathers to decided? Did you have a specific website that had pictures for you to feel comfortable making that decision? After all, its a decent chunk of change for a custom pair of SD's.

I used the Bakers shoe website and found a couple of japanese sites that had a few examples of some of those other leathers that White's uses for the SD model, but other than that, not much.

I went with the Dress brown leather because it seemed like a good, versatile color. From what I've seen on the forums, with time and a little polish or conditioner, the dress brown leather ages quite well.

univibe88

One Too Many
There is a woeful lack of information/quality photos when it comes to viewing all of the color/leather combos. I used the Baker Shoe website to help. At the time they had pictures of boots made in all of the water buffalo, but I don't see it at the moment. I also bought my boots through Baker b/c they have a custom order form on their website which made ordering very easy for me.

I agree that the dress brown is a very good choice. I was planning to go with it, but made my change at the last minute. It's mostly a reflection of my personality. I just have to do things a little bit differently!

Whacky

New in Town
I just sent White's an email asking for an update on my order. Its been 4.5 weeks since I called and placed my order with them directly.

Hopefully they will hit me back with some good news.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
aldoindy.jpg

Got these from ALDO a couple of months ago, they seem to be holding up well. Made in Italy. Dead ringers for Alden 405s at about 1/3 the cost, even at full price.

ALDOSHENMAN.jpg

But then I got these ALDO's, for nothing, -10%, free shipping et al. Made in Portugal. I removed the ridiculous kiltie, replaced the round laces with flat & woven. And in the first week I had two 65+ y.o. Gentlemen ask me about them. One at the Barber's & one at the P.O. Both told me that they put them in mind of boots their G'fathers wore. So we are talking about men born in the end of the 19th century, or somewhat older, I would say.

Whacky

New in Town
According to Whites, my custom Semi Dress boots shipped out yesterday. I'm all the way across the country, so it will take a little over a week to deliver. Will post some pics as soon as they arrive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points