Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

30's~40's Work Boots

Griemersma

One of the Regulars
I'm usually not a fan of the pre-distressed look, but those look good-- understated and utilitarian with classic lines.

Right now I want some of these WWII- inspired boots from Red Wing:

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/34858892/c/1912.html

Unfortunately, they are out of my price range (and too similar to my Chippewa Iron Works boots) If only they had come out with these a year ago...

--G.R.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
There was a nice '40s or '50s pair or workboots today at the local thrift shop, with bilt-rite heels, but they were about a size 8.

Jedburgh

New in Town
White's Boots

I have used White's Boots for a number of years and have never had any issues with them. I have also worked with a number of folks who had them and we all had at least 2 pairs. We went all over the world in them in all types of terrain, jumped in them etc. White's are tough boots which are well made and the company stands behind their product. I was fortunate enough to be
\issued my boots as were my coworkers. There are military units which provide these but they are by no means a standard issue item. The military issuing an item should not be a selling point since Lord knows they do have a tremendous amount of garbage in the system and footwear is one of them. However, I can't say enough good things about these boots.

Conversely, I have owned several pairs of Alden 405s and had issues with the last 2 pairs. When I contacted Alden, they were aware of the issues (the tongue not lining up) but were unwilling to do anything about it. They suggested that I take the shoes to a repair shop and get a stitch put in. I do not feel that after spending $300 for a pair of shoes that I should then have to have work done to them to be serviceable. Such is the way of many businesses these days.

I appreciate that no one makes a product that is perfect all the time. The difference is whether they will stand behind the product. A rare attribute these days.

I hope this helps where White's are concerned if you are considering purchasing a pair.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
The Redwings are top-notch. I'ved had several pair in my life that stood up to brutal punishment! (They saved my feet from several potential disasters!).
I would also recommend Ariat lace-up work boots. Great retro look, SUPER QUALITY BOOTS and they can be found at good prices at Bootbarn.com.

Bargainoutfitters.com has Ariat lace up work boots in a retro style also with very low prices. I hope that helps somebody!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Gentleman Traveller's (photos)

These are the RedWings GT's a few months down the line. Not getting 'daily' wear day-in-day-out as I tend to rotate with my RM's (RM Williams). But after the initial 'breakin' period (as with any substantial boot) they are lovely and comfy. The sizing runs a tad large, but with a good insole (which isn't a bad idea anyway) they are a lovey pair of boots and the leather takes a good shine too if you want them for a dressier occasion.

One note: Probably due to a steel shank in the boot, they can set off alarms at Airport Security, do don't have them done up too tight before you go through as you may just have to whip them off ;)

D

Dudleydoright

Red Wing GT's

I've had a pair of GT's for 9 months now. They get worn mostly in winter. As they take a while to lace up correctly, I tend to wear them when I know I'll be 'strapped-in' for a while.

I use a pair of original waxed WW2 issue US laces (FAR better than the ones they came with) and I've polished them a few times with brown polish to get some of that vivid redness toned down. IMHO they now look pretty darn sharp.

I'll try to get a few pics uploaded in the next few days to illustrate my point.

Cheers All,
Dave

Ryan

Familiar Face
I think I missed something

Dudleydoright said:
I've had a pair of GT's for 9 months now. They get worn mostly in winter. As they take a while to lace up correctly, I tend to wear them when I know I'll be 'strapped-in' for a while.

I use a pair of original waxed WW2 issue US laces (FAR better than the ones they came with) and I've polished them a few times with brown polish to get some of that vivid redness toned down. IMHO they now look pretty darn sharp.

I'll try to get a few pics uploaded in the next few days to illustrate my point.

Cheers All,
Dave

Whats the correct way to lace these up?

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
Dudleydoright said:

Cheers All,
Dave

Dave, I look forward to seeing your GTs. I've been working on purchasing some for myself, and it looks like I'll be ordering from Baker Shoe in a couple of days. These are my "hole grail" boot, and that price is the best I've seen in awhile.

Paddy, thanks for posting those pictures. I don't know if you remember our PM conversation from a few months ago, your input has been both appreciated.

It was a tough decision between the GTs and a pair of Corcoran historic paratrooper boots, discussed at length in this thread. I'll get them eventually, but I'm definitely going with the GTs first. They just look like a great, versatile boot. A great foundation to a vintage inspired wardrobe. I look forward to ordering mine.

Ryan

Familiar Face
If you order from Bakers

Mr_Misanthropy said:
Dave, I look forward to seeing your GTs. I've been working on purchasing some for myself, and it looks like I'll be ordering from Baker Shoe in a couple of days. These are my "hole grail" boot, and that price is the best I've seen in awhile.

Paddy, thanks for posting those pictures. I don't know if you remember our PM conversation from a few months ago, your input has been both appreciated.

It was a tough decision between the GTs and a pair of Corcoran historic paratrooper boots, discussed at length in this thread. I'll get them eventually, but I'm definitely going with the GTs first. They just look like a great, versatile boot. A great foundation to a vintage inspired wardrobe. I look forward to ordering mine.

Call in your order. I did my order over the web then found out the GT's were being shipped from RW back east. Instead of 3 days it took an extra week.

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
So if I call in my order it'll ship from the store, whereas if I place it online, it'll ship from Red Wing and take longer? I think I'll be placing this order tonight or tomorrow.

Ryan

Familiar Face
I don't know what sizes the have. I was expecting my GT's in 3 days per the shipping Bakers has for CA residents. Nothing said they wernt in stock. When they didnt show up I called and was told my order was being shipped from back east. I suggested you to call so you know.

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
Gotcha! Thanks Ryan. I just wanted to clarify what you meant. Thanks for the info. I went ahead and placed my order last night, but I'll give them a call to see what"s going on with the order. I've been waiting about a year to find these boots for a price like this, I don't think another week will kill me.

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
thunderw21 said:
Those look great, Paddy, they're breaking in wonderfully. Remind me of WW2 russet ankle shoes.

Agreed. I searched for a long time, scouring over modern boots from just about every major (and some minor) shoe websites. The Gentleman Traveler is one of the most classically styled boots I found, for a reasonable price. I can't give an experienced recommendation just yet, as I won't receive mine for a week or so (hopefully sooner), but I expect them to live up to all the good review I've read online.

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
Apologies

Mr_Misanthropy said:

Apologies for not yet posting the photos. I lost my account and have had to wait to get a new one (with the same name) activated. NOW I can't find my download cable for my digi-camera :mad: DOH !! I've also got a pair of At The Front roughouts that , with a single coat of neatsfoot oil, look very authentic. I'll do piccies of those too if there's interest.
Cheers all,
DDR

H.Johnson

One Too Many
I swear by my Red Wing Irish Setters, which I have owned and used well for over 30 years. They are on their third set of soles. The last time the cobbler put on fused (i.e. not welted) rubber soles (like a modern hiking boot) that I don't like. I have now found a snob who will replace them with Goodyear welts and plain leather soles. Expensive, but they'll still be my ideal GP boot and will outlast me...

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
Photos of GT's as promised

Sorry but I didn't have time to buff them up tonight !!
gt01.jpg

gt02.jpg

gt03.jpg

gt04.jpg

Hope they come out o.k.
I should say though that they take some serious breaking in. I wore mine wet for two days. startingoff with the top two pairs of eyelets undone and gradually working up to having them all tied. They're one tough boot !
Cheer all,
Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy