Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

30s-50s British Suit Trouser photo resource

Mike1973

A-List Customer
not plus fours

Right, read the thread title properly this time, so here's some suit trousers...

trousers013.jpg

trousers009.jpg

trousers008.jpg

trousers006.jpg

I now nothing about this suit, there are no labels inside. Bought in a house clearance/junk shop in Pompey so would assume it's an British suit.

certainly is a bad word. I should refrain from using it.

But . . .

the extender tab with hook fastener, the external suspender buttons and the type of buttons used, the rise to the back of the waistband, the buttoned pocket on the right buttock instead of the left (i'm willing to bet there is no pocket on the left buttock), the forward pleats and the stitch work at the top and bottom of the side seam pockets.

When all of these occur together, and are found on a pair of trousers found in Portsmouth, one can be pretty sure they're English.

bk

Jovan

Suspended
Ah, I didn't even notice that tab because of the dark lining. I like the rectangular extended tabs with hook. Looks cleaner than a button, so it goes well with non-pleated trousers.

benstephens

Practically Family
Hi Baron,

I would say those trousers are 1930s. The Suit is interesting, I have seen some CWS labbelled Items, but none saying Bespoke, so this may have been the top range?

I can not make out the word under the CWS part?

Ben

Anthony Jordan

Practically Family
I am 99% positive that it stands for "Co-operative Wholesale Society" or, in other words, the Co-Op!

One of my favourite dinner jackets was a CWS production and I also own a black 3-button notched lapel morning jacket/stroller with matching waistcoat which was made by the CWS and retailed by their Newport, Monmouthshire branch, in the 1950s at a guess.

Interesting to notice the double-button configuration on the fishtail back; I recently bought a 3-piece grey suit in Caerphilly which had these. I took it in to be altered today, I hope that the feature survives the waist being taken in... The only other example I've seen was an incredibly rough and heavy pair of gray flannels which are one of my prized possessions. [These have the buttons inside rather than outside, though.]

ETA that I see someone on the other thread beat me to the punch!

It's an interesting feature. I saw it on a few suits at the Hammersmith vintage clothing show a couple of weeks ago.

Anthony Jordan said:
Interesting to notice the double-button configuration on the fishtail back; I recently bought a 3-piece grey suit in Caerphilly which had these. I took it in to be altered today, I hope that the feature survives the wait being taken in... The only other example I've seen was an incredibly rough and heavy pair of gray flannels which are one of my prized possessions.

Have you a digital camera? Let's see the trousers if you do!

bk

benstephens

Practically Family
Yes thats right the Co-op. I have a suit with it in as well. I will have a look tonight and try and get a photo of it.

I had read they had a bespoke range, but have never seen an actual item. It would be interesting to compare the quality.

Kindest regards

Ben

Anthony Jordan

Practically Family
Some pictures, as requested:

Grey flannels:

Picture160.jpg

Picture161.jpg

Morning trousers:

Picture158.jpg

Stroller/morning jacket trousers (note turn-ups):

Picture159.jpg

Spongebag check morning tousers:

Picture162.jpg

Tramline stripe:

Picture157.jpg

Green high-backs:

Picture163.jpg

White flannel trousers:

Picture164.jpg

Picture166.jpg

Denman & Goddard suit trousers (a bit out of period at 1965, but note the interesting "rabbit ears" for brace buttons, the idea of which is that they could tuck away and the suit be held up with the side adjusters in the event that you didn't wish to wear braces):

Picture167.jpg

(Apparently a very Anderson & Sheppard touch, Alan Flusser is supposed to have introduced them to the U.S.)

GBR

One of the Regulars
What a rich source of inspiration this thread is proving to be - an ideal spring board to detail my first pair of such trousers (as part of a suit) for thirty years or more.

One thing there is a reference to a "flapped watch pocket" in many comments. In many parts of the UK this was actually used (and called) a cash pocket/fob pocket. The idea being that in the days before credit cards and the like which all stuff wallets with these days, a gentleman would keep any 'paper' money in this pocket. Hence in a quite a number of such trousers there was no back pocket at all, let alone the two which is now normal.

I certainly remember my first bespoke suit with this feature which I got when I was about 17 from my late father's tailor (at his expense) when I was about to set off on the interview round for university which was normal in the 1960s and 1970s. I certainly started to use this immediately and very much regret not having had it for years althoiugh it has to be said that wallets now predominate - be they back pocket or inside jacket pocket. The high rise and button fly were there too - no indulging youthful preference by this tailor - or father.

It would be interesting to do a similar thread on the coat as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL