Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

40s Shirt / Tie query

silhouette53

One of the Regulars
I got measured for a suit today ( see my post in suits ) Its in a 40s style - double breasted. I guess there were many different styles of shirt collar around then but was there any one particular type favoured by the majority ?

Would some collar styles be unsuitable with a DB. Re ties, what kind of widths were the norm ? I really haven't researched this and know very little.

Studying photos of the period doesn't necessarily give a definitive answer so I'm hoping for some input from all you knowlegable people in the lounge

Thanks in advance
Colin

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
most shirt collars of the 40s were long, tapering and pointed. they could be worn with either SB or DB jackets. more casual shirts like gabardines were often worn with top button open (or top loop open) and collars over the jacket for a sporty look.

there's more on current shirts with a 40s feel in this thread:

http://thefedoralounge.net/showthread.php?t=7005

ties are about the easiest vintage item to find. my advice is not to worry about widths but just pick one you like. there's nearly always some 40s ties on ebay if you don't have a vintage shop near you. avoid the modern spread collar if you want to look vintage.

I see all kinds of collars worn in pics from the 30s/40s era. The long pointy ones are one that is hard to find today. Another is the tab collar - i rarely see any modern tab collar shirts. The 70s redid the long pointy. Sometimes with a decent degree of accuracy. Mostly too big and too long, though.

Hmmm, i hear a lot spoken/written against the spread collar. Is the modern spread collar really so much different from, say, the spread collar popularised by PoW in the mid 20s? I like the spread collar.

The real beauty of collar styles is that there hasn't really been anything new in the last 50 years or so. Any style you see for sale ... you can be pretty certain that it would've been around in the 40s. Of course, for the authentic 40s look, you buy 40s shirts. 40s business shirts are available, though quite rare (see that thread HBK posted).

I agree on ties. They are everywhere. Almost every thrift store you walk into, you'll find at least one 40s or 30s tie. I lean towards the 30s. Am thinking of ridding myself of some 40s. Might PM me, if interested ...

bk

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
you're right Baron, of course there was collar variety, but to me the longer pointed collar is quintessentially 40s. you may be able to argue that wearing a spread collar is period correct, but to my eye they are still more associated with a modern look.

i actually think shirts are really important to get right. i hate to see someone in a 40s suit with a modern white shirt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner