Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

4oz steerhide jackets - reviews? pics?

repo

Familiar Face
Hi all

I've lurked for a while and thought I would ask for opinions of the heavy 4oz steerhide jackets - I've seen a few comments saying that they are too heavy but I'm interested if anyone has owned one for a while and likes them? Pictures would be great too! Thanks!

Dav

One Too Many
I've owned a heavy steer Cheyenne for a couple of years now and love it! Yes it's heavy and yes it took a long time to break in.
Here's the original thread.
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?52296-My-Cheyenne/page4

A more recent pic
c20f8889-b797-4e66-8113-8d2e0204458d.jpg

Last edited:

Justhandguns

Practically Family
I think the Vanson competition weight hide is roughly 3.5-4oz in thickness. Yes, it is very heavy, if your are a slim built person, you may find yourself having shoulder sores wearing these heavy jackets. But if you are really riding a bike, it will protect you well.

repo

Familiar Face
Thanks - I do remember seeing your jacket (which looks great). I think I've been confusing the different weights - 'heavy chrome tanned' and 'super heavy 4oz' as described on the Aero site.

ForestForTheTrees

One of the Regulars
Not quite 4 ounces, but I do own a jacket made of 3.75 oz steerhide and am extremely happy with it. I could understand how others might feel differently though and would prefer a hide not quite so thick and heavy.

repo

Familiar Face
I do like the look of this hide and am tempted. I am not a slim build (unfortunately), my bike is off the road at the moment, and I have plenty of jackets ... but still ...

I used to have a particularly heavy FQHH jacket I had to sell because I lost so much weight (which now seems to be returning!).

Davy Crockett

A-List Customer
I saw some of the super heavy hides on a visit up to Aero recently, I'm going to have my next jacket in one of these, the brown and Cordovan are beautiful rich deep colours, they are very stiff but that doesn't bother me at all, I'm in a very small minority in that I enjoy breaking in a jacket!

D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner