Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

4th of July Hat

Stoney

Practically Family
This is another hat that I hand crafted using the second of three hat bodies that Mike Moore was kind enough to give me to work with. Thanks again Mike. ;)

I wanted to have one ready for the 4th of July and was able to finish it in time.
I thought that wearing a Red White and Blue Fedora might look a little strange so I decided to theme the hat after my service in the US Navy. The hat body is Aircraft Carrier Grey with a deep blue, somewhere between Royal Blue and Navy Blue ribbon. Rather than add miniature medals to the hat I decided to use a simple US Navy Honorable Discharge pin.

The Dimensions are as follows:

Crown 5 1/8" open
Front 4 1/4"
Side 4 1/4"
Back 3 5/8"

I tried to block the crown in a way that it would resemble the bow of a ship.

Snap Brim 2 3/8"

Hat-and-Pin.jpg

The bottom left photo was taken with a flash. The others were taken without the flash and are more correct in regard to the colors used.

The Interior of the hat features a WWII Navy recruiting poster.

Hat-Interior.jpg

Happy 4th of July and God bless us all.

Stoney

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Wow, Stoney, that's amazing! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

And those colors would work well as an AF hat--my USAF Retired pin would look great on it!

Cheers,
Tom

It's a sharp look, Stoney. There's a reason those hats of "moderate" proportions have remained so popular over the years, eh? I believe you've answered this question before, so please indulge me, but what block are you using? An eBay find? Or one of your own making? How 'bout the flange?

Again, it's a handsome lid, man. You have a real good eye.

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Super Job Stoney......

"I tried to block the crown in a way that it would resemble the bow of a ship."

I think you took a very original idea, and captured it....spot on.

The Ribbon color looks amazing on that color felt, good choice there.

The Brim dimensions work well with the rest of the hat, it's so you, just like the rest you've made so far....

The Liner is by far, a testimony to this hat....and the US Navy Honorable Discharge Pin really says it all.

You've outdone yourself on this one Bruce, Excellent job, and unveiling it today makes it that more special. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

God Bless America and all of our men and women who are serving us.

Thanks for sharing this Lid with us Stoney.....:cheers1:

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Great hat, Stoney. Great tribute. God bless the United States of America. We need it.

majormoore

Vendor
Stoney, good looking hat, just keep a eye on your mail box, never can tell when I might just send you a few more. Your making some nice looking hats keep up the good work.

Mike Moore, aka Major Moore

MDphoto

One of the Regulars
That is an amazing hat Stoney. I love the colors!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap
I'm interested in the block as well.

Stoney

Practically Family
Thanks so much...

I really appreciate the kind comments and I'm very glad that the hat was received so well.

This is the block that I used to make the hat.
http://thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=29283
I made the block myself using eight 1" (3/4") pieces of Poplar plank glued up
to a total of 6" thick.

The flange that I used was an e-bay find. It is stamped as follows:

85 6 7/8 PACO 2 5/8

I assume that the 85 represents the type of the flange, while 6 7/8 is the size, PACO the manufacturer and 2 5/8 the width of the flange.

It sure would be nice if there was some information available as to the numbering system used on these antique blocks and flanges. I have searched the net and the numbering system for blocks and flanges seems to be a well guarded hat makers secret.

The flange has a slight curve, almost flat but not quite and the outer edge has about a 5/8 radius routed edge. This is my favorite flange and I use it most of the time when making new hats or when re-flanging those with a brim less than 2 1/2" wide. I just bought a new scroll saw and plan on making another flange much like this one. If it comes out well I'll probably use the copy and retain the original as a wall mounted antique.

Here's hoping you've all had a wonderful 4th. I'm looking forward to the fireworks display tonight.

And Mike..What can I say... I have one more hat body to work on now and I'm formulating ideas for it's use. Thanks again for the hat bodies my friend.

One thing that I did forget to mention is that while the brim cut and flange are perfect, I did deliberately crease the hat asymmetrically to give it a little more character.

MAB1

Suspended
I was gonna give ya crapola about felt on the 4th but...

That is beauty to behold. Not surprised that you couldn't wait for the fall/winter lineup. :D

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
indycop said:
I would rather see an Army hat;) lol but that is very nice! I also love seeing the liners you come up with!
Hey IC...is there an Honorable Discharge pin for us Army guys?[huh]

Stoney that is a beautiful hat! Well done!

Stoney

Practically Family
Thanks again guys.

CJ,

I did see a couple of pins that would work for an Army hat, with a quick search on e-Bay. I just Searched for "ARMY Honorable" and Pin.

There was a green and white pin with a US Army Seal that had Honorable Discharge printed around the perimeter that looked pretty good in addition to a couple of others. I would love to see an Army tribute hat as well. Tom has the Air Force covered, are there any Marines or Coast Guard folks out there that could do one for their branch of service as well?

Edit:

Here is a photo of the Green Army Pin. It is 1" in diameter.

army-discharge.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran