Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

50 Unexplainable Photos

martinsantos

Practically Family
Mid-30s saw a little mania about trickery in photography... Several by a German photographer, widely published all over the world until the 60s, Dr Otto Croy. The technics are VERY difficult, and only factible with large negatives. Most of the results I see are just silly. Or not well-done. Or both. (more or less in the same way we see now people altering photos with photoshop).

(In respect of Dr Croy, his book on retouching is very good.)

Look Ma! No head! :D :p

2085723_OVgSPIYD_c.jpg

Last edited:

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Mid-30s saw a little mania about trickery in photography... Several by a German photographer, widely published all over the world until the 60s, Dr Otto Croy. The technics are VERY difficult, and only factible with large negatives. Most of the results I see are just silly. Or not well-done. Or both. (more or less in the same way we see now people altering photos with photoshop).

Agreed! Even with Photoshop and all those other tools it's still difficult to do properly. Photoshop aside, I used to work with a variety of 3D and compositing packages (Maya, Shake, Combustion) and it still takes a lof of experience and a well-trained eye, even if it's only some kind of dust-busting or wire-removal job.

martinsantos

Practically Family
The most funny trick (and almost everybody tried once or twice) is double exposition covering the lens, so you can appear perfectly several times in the same photo. Croy wrote a lot about a "trick box" to do this, very interesting! Never saw one, had to do my experiences with black paper over the lens. Never worked very well.

Agreed! Even with Photoshop and all those other tools it's still difficult to do properly. Photoshop aside, I used to work with a variety of 3D and compositing packages (Maya, Shake, Combustion) and it still takes a lof of experience and a well-trained eye, even if it's only some kind of dust-busting or wire-removal job.

scooter

Practically Family
Well, at the risk of starting an inflammatory exchange, history shows us relatively conclusively, Mr. Hoover maligned a good number of people. I don't think it is unbearable that we enjoy a bit of humor at his expense.

Fitzcarraldo

New in Town
enhanced-buzz-32465-1300477552-25.jpg

I lost my virginity!!!

GasMaskParade.jpg

A day in the farm for some city boys. WW2 in UK.

A0422_ex.jpg

WWII MICKY MOUSE GAS MASK (RESPIRATOR)

Child's Gas Mask given to the public as a loan by the Government during WW2.

Made to resemble the cartoon character 'Mickey Mouse' and coloured red and blue to try and entice children into wearing them.
Your comments:

I still have my mask in its cardboard box in excellent condition.

Diving under my great grandmas dining table during an air raid and
swallowing a three pence piece, to which she thumped my back, so I
got it back. She lived in Southend at the back of the Kursal. by the
way I had my mask on at the time.
.......... John Osborn, Peterborough Cambridgeshire, 21st of October 2010
http://www.museumoftechnology.org.uk/expand.php?key=713

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22326055@N06/4194704259/

Last edited:

rotebander

New in Town
I think this thread needs to have a button handy. Please use as needed:

[video=youtube;bcYppAs6ZdI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcYppAs6ZdI&feature=related[/video]

I want to marry a man like the ones in 23 and 43 :p

Deco-Doll-1928

Practically Family
I'm going to have trouble sleeping tonight. :eek:

A while ago, I was watching this documentary on the Dust Bowl (the most disturbing and depressing piece of programing I have ever watched besides the fire at the Triangle). I thought that it said (now I could be wrong about this), that many people were lured out west because they saw pictures or ads of really big fruits and vegetables. The picture of the large pickle reminded me of this for some reason. Although, I'm pretty sure that was an innocent novelty picture (or is it?).

I also thought the picture of the woman and the bear on the bed was interesting.

What exactly was on that mattress anyways and why do those women look so darn happy? :eeek:

I have to admit (in addition to several of the other photos posted on here) that the baby armadillo freaked me out! It was so weird looking. I don't mind armadillos actually. I think they are interesting creatures. Dracula obviously never had any problems with armadillos either. :D

The skeleton photos didn't really surprise me. One time I was at the Huntington Gardens and in one exhibit they had these drawings of skeletons that were completely animated. For an example, a skeleton reading a book. It must have been a common thing to do then.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24