Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

5000 members?

Serial Hero

A-List Customer
The Lounge seems so big now with our numbers over 5000. With Marc having a “nostalgia day”, it got me thinking; how many of that 5000 truly are “members”, people who post on a regular (or semi regular) basis and are here to make friends and be part of a community? How many have come, ingrained themselves in the fabric of the form, then moved on leaving the place feeling a little empty?

What really makes someone a “member”? Is it just the act of signing up, or is it an active participation in the community and a sharing of ones knowledge and ideas?

This in no way goes against those who just come here to lurk. I believe fully in the free exchange of ideas, and any and all that stumble across this place should have full use of the vast knowledge presented here.

And one last note to Marc; the future still holds plenty of fun and good times to be had, and new friends to be made.

-SH-

Jay

Practically Family
I've made some 500 posts in 2 years. The first year was more of learning experience, cause I didn't want to ask dumb questions. Now I give out dumb answers... And shows pictures of junk that I buy so other people will admire them and make me feel special for owning musty old clothes and silly hats.

Rafter

Suspended
Serial Hero said:
How many of that 5000 truly are “members”, people who post on a regular (or semi regular) basis?
What really makes someone a “member”? Is it just the act of signing up, or is it an active participation in the community and a sharing of ones knowledge and ideas?

And one last note to Marc; the future still holds plenty of fun and good times to be had, and new friends to be made.

-SH-

SH you've certainly not been a very active part of the FL.....
made only 274 posts since Nov. 2004!!
You have very little to say, don't you.
So according to my definition of membership,
you don't warrant the status of being a "true" member!

Senior Chevalier, on the other hand is nearing his 10,000 post.
James Powers has posted in excess of 10,100 posts.
They are the ultimate FL members!

I'm approaching the 250 mark in just 2 months.
Diamondback posted 550 in just 4 months.
Hey chumps (MC/JP) you better watch out,
you've got some new competition here!!

BTW, Did I say chumps, I mean't champs!! Really!!

And just remember ladies and gents,
"It's not the quantity of memberships,
but the quality of the member that actually counts."

So "hats off" to everyone for making this Forum....
a place of Style, Class, Sophistication & Intelligence.

panamag8or

Practically Family
Rafter said:
So I according to my definition of membership,

Wow, that's kinda not nice.

Rafter said:

There are so many ways to interpret that, sir, but I'll take it as a sign of grudging respect from another of FL's "up-and-coming hotshots.":cheers1: Thank you! *slight bow*:D

550 already, and that long? Geez, it seems like just yesterday that I was still "New In Town"... Time really does fly when you're having fun, doesn't it?

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
I've only come here for a short while and have seen that there are many members which do not say much, but what they do say is very important and their words stand ground even after they are gone.

Serial Hero for example has said a few things within his 274 posts, which have benefited the lounge far more than someone who might have posted 10,000 times. There is no line between the teacher and the student. We are all students who are here to learn and teach others. And just have fun.

Serial Hero

A-List Customer
Happy, thanks for the kind words.

I do post far less than I should (I’m just lazy like that), but just reading the form on a daily basis (or so) really makes everyone here feel like family.

I’ll try to post more from now on. Marc’s close to 10,000. hmmm now I have a goal.:p

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
my pleasure. Hit a 20,000 post mark! Everyone posts something for one reason or another. A comment, a statement, a lesson, a photo, a smile, a laugh, a frown, etc. I don't think there is a real reason to post. That's what makes it more than a learning forum. It's a virtual community.

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Rafter said:
So I according to my definition of membership,

Senior Chevalier, on the other hand is nearing his 10,000 post.
James Powers has posted in excess of 10,100 posts.
They are the ultimate FL members!

And just remember ladies and gents,
"It's not the quantity of memberships,
but the quality of the member that actually counts."

So "hats off" to everyone for making this Forum....
a place of Style, Class, Sophistication & Intelligence.

Thanks for mentioning ME Rafter! :rage:

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Anyway I post fairly regularly (if you couldn't tell) despite the fact that the Lounge is blocked by my work. :rage:

Amelie

A-List Customer
It's curious, I was asking myself the exact same question four days ago when I finally got the chance to put my hands on a Classic style magazine and was talking about the lounge to my sister!

I don't think I would count myself as a "real" member or something like that. To me I am still brand new, even though there is a lot of people newer than me, plus I don't think I have gave a lot to the lounge. I mean, my friend know me as somebody with a lot of knowledge on fashion history and vintage, but when I got here I just realized how ignorant I was. The lounge in those few months I have been here have gave me a lot more than I could ever give back :eek:

that said, I don't think I'll be able to consider myself, even thoug I post on a nearly daily basis, as a real member before I am able to share something with the other

but it is so hard to feel like you have something worthy to say when they are such amazing things being said just besides... :)

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
Hello,

I tend to liken forums as sort of gateways - a place where many meet, but then are 'filtered off' in their own specific places (which is usually what happens to me). But some stay as well too.

I don't consider myself a 'member' because of the fact that I'm more involved in the U-Boat 'stuff' than the civilian 'stuff', but I cannot say that I didn't learn anything while being here (quite frankly, I am thankful for that post on the 'vintage style boxers' because I have been wondering where to get some).

So, I post when I really feel the need to, otherwise I tend to sit and see what information I can come across.

Prien

Rafter

Suspended
News Alert: The Pink Dahlia Has Made 979 Posts In Just 2 Months

Pink Dahlia said:
Anyway I post fairly regularly (if you couldn't tell) despite the fact that the Lounge is blocked by my work.

This must be some kind of a FL record!
I bet she will reach an even 1,000 by Monday!!:eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GilbertHit