Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

50's style bowling shirts

IndyBlues

New in Town
I don't know if these are fit for the Lounge, but I've seen a few pics of guys here with that style attire, most notably Havershaw, and was wondering if anyone knows a good way to find these, and even the jackets that go with them. I believe these shirts can look great with the right fedora as well, and more of an everyday attire, as opposed to t-shirts.

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Macy's is having a blowout sale right now. Picked up two 100% silk hawaiian shirts yesterday for a song, there were plenty of two-tone bowling shirts to be had as well.

Mervyn's seems to have them often, too.

havershaw

Practically Family
eBay is a great place to start, though bowling shirts generally start off kind of expensive, usually somewhere around $20, then the bidding climbs from there. I think I only have two bowling shirts, though I just bought two more (well, they had my name already embroidered on them). I got one for $9 and the other was $21.

I tend to wear a lot of 40s/50s sport shirts - short sleeves, collar loop, collar ironed down. Depending on the designs on the shirt, there's not much difference between 40s and 50s shirts, if you're only talking about solid colors and whatnot (check a Montgomery Ward catalog for corroboration of this). I don't tend to wear a lot of the more atomic-looking shirts, though I do have a handful.

I have two vintage Hawaiian shirts, too, both Duke of Hollywood Wakiki Wear. I keep my eyes open for Duke of Hollywood stuff all the time.

Thrift stores are still a pretty great source for bowling shirts, unless you're looking for really old, 30s-40s gabardine shirts, which just aren't that common in thrift stores. And finally, vintage stores almost always have a pretty decent selection of bowling shirts. If you live in the southern California area, I heavily recommend you check out Aardvark's - they're a chain vintage thrift store. Most locations have a whole rack of bowling shirts, but beyond that, they also have an excellent selection of just the kind of vintage I wear every day, and I can very often find great vintage sport shirts for under $12 there. I've bought a couple of expensive things there, too, but their stock is constantly turning over and I always find something new there. The bottom line is that Aardvark's is GREAT for inexpensive vintage clothing. I think I bought a 40s Hollywood-style long jacket (which I wore to see Casablanca in LA) for $75, and that's the most I ever paid for anything there. Also got two or three pair of 40s high-waisted gabardine trousers there, less than $15 a piece.

That might all be more than you wanted to know...and of course, if you don't live near one, it doesn't do you much good, does it?

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
From the grave!

New Goodwill find from yesterday.

Late 1950s/early 1960s bowling shirt. Green with yellow writing, knit sleeve cuffs and shoulder 'gussets', little plastic bowling pin buttons, "Swede". Truly hideous and I love it. A few small oil spots on the back that I've already addressed, otherwise in perfect condition. Looks to be made of cotton gabardine.

This is the second vintage casual shirt I've found with "Swede" on the chest. Both fit me, too. :D

001-31.jpg

002-22.jpg

Gene

Practically Family
I recently found a bunch of NOS unmarked gab bowling shirts in a thrift store in various colors, but they wanted way too much for them, around $15 a piece. I don't bowl enough to justify that price!

Edward

Bartender

You're lucky it belonged to Thorin - any of the rest of them and it would have been much too short.

(nerd joke).

I recently found a bunch of NOS unmarked gab bowling shirts in a thrift store in various colors, but they wanted way too much for them, around $15 a piece. I don't bowl enough to justify that price!

Jinkes, at that price I'd have jumped on a few.... NOS? As in unworn? It's hard to find a new one over here of half decent quality for under about thirty dollars, let alone something that looks period (as opposed to a modern take with large screen printed graphics etc).

Gene

Practically Family
I almost bought one because they had flap pockets too, but the colors were pretty garish, like orange and brighter green than the above shirt.

I love bowling shirts. Along with Hawaiian shirts and excessively embroidered western shirts. Hope no one minds if I give this old thread a little jumpstart.
Here's one from the old home town. It's actually probably 60s, but before doubleknit polo style ones came to dominance in the 70s they all are cool with me.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1379277212387.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1379277212387.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 292
  • uploadfromtaptalk1379277231952.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1379277231952.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 246
Gonna roll one more time to see if there's any life left in this thread. Here's my finest example of a chainstitched shirt. It's a Hilton if anyone cares to know.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1379970627492.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1379970627492.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 239
  • uploadfromtaptalk1379970641389.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1379970641389.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 221

Edward

Bartender
Hoping this year to be able to get out to dance a bit more than the last few years, what with the plague and everything. A few good bowling shirts would be nice for that, if they're the proper action-back type. I've always wanted one with the inside of the pleats made from aertex.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR