Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A-1 Jacket / A1 Flying Jacket - The ultimate Golden Era flying accessory!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Pure class(ic)...

I just 'love' this thread for all the info that's coming out on this most classic of vintage aviation jackets. Thanks gents!!

Windsock

A-List Customer
greyhound68 said:
Paddy,
Yup this is the one. And guess what it is mine now. I am a happy guy.

George, I thought that Bseal had claimed the first one...I do like the look but i'm going to stick with the A-2.

Andrew

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Not a comment on style, detail or construction, but on fit. I think that almost all of the contemorary photographs of A-1s and derivatives that I have seen have a noticably trimmer fit than the photographs of current offerings on models and mannequins. I would apply that to JC's excellent example.

Is this just how they are worn or is it the 'modern cut' (as some manufacturers call it). In other words, I'd be interested in buying a GW A-1 (it would be the only new flight jacket I have ever bought - a retirement 'present') but not if it it fit me like the one on the mannequin or on John. Would JC make it according to my measurements, does anyone know?

Alan

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I'm getting around that by sending John an A-1 knockoff that fits me nicely.
2076182810_5d7923e141.jpg

This is a Ralph Lauren in Italian deersuede. (It's Ralph's non-Polo megabucks label - but I got it for $250 :D).

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Fletch,

Good idea - and good fit!

Alan
Fletch said:
I'm getting around that by sending John an A-1 knockoff that fits me nicely.
2076182810_5d7923e141.jpg

This is a Ralph Lauren in Italian deersuede. (It's Ralph's non-Polo megabucks label - but I got it for $250 :D).

greyhound68

A-List Customer
Alan Eardley said:
Not a comment on style, detail or construction, but on fit. I think that almost all of the contemorary photographs of A-1s and derivatives that I have seen have a noticably trimmer fit than the photographs of current offerings on models and mannequins. I would apply that to JC's excellent example.

Is this just how they are worn or is it the 'modern cut' (as some manufacturers call it). In other words, I'd be interested in buying a GW A-1 (it would be the only new flight jacket I have ever bought - a retirement 'present') but not if it it fit me like the one on the mannequin or on John. Would JC make it according to my measurements, does anyone know?

Alan

Alan,
Yes John will do custom work. He did so for me and others on our A2s.

Doug C

Practically Family
Hey I went over to VLJ to read up on bseals thread about his Goodwear A-1.. I found the thread but no pictures of it being worn or anything besides the maniquen, actually I couldn't really make out if bseal ever actually received it or not. So I tried to post the question several times and kept getting an error - does anyone know if VLJ is having problems again (I haven't visited in a while).

Doug C

greyhound68

A-List Customer
Doug C said:
Hey I went over to VLJ to read up on bseals thread about his Goodwear A-1.. I found the thread but no pictures of it being worn or anything besides the maniquen, actually I couldn't really make out if bseal ever actually received it or not. So I tried to post the question several times and kept getting an error - does anyone know if VLJ is having problems again (I haven't visited in a while).

Doug C

Doug,
Yes BSeal did get the jacket I got it from him. Yes VLJ is having problems seem to have started yesterday and still not fixed.

Windsock

A-List Customer
Alan Eardley said:

Alan

That's my impression as well. As we all know men at that time were on the whole a lot smaller and thinner. Here's a shot of sir Charles Kingsford Smith and Crew of the Southern Cross after the first trans-Pacific flight from LA to Brisbane. In this and a few other shots i've seen their versions also appear to be a kind of suede- but that could just be the old photo I guess.

Kingsford-Smith and Ulm look so cool.

cks_crew_750.jpg

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Andrew

I've seen other photographs of the illustrious pair and I share your view. The jackets, of course, aren't issue A-1s but are the common type of civilian jacket that inspired the A-1 - just as civilian Irvinsuits inspired the RAF version later.

I would guess they were suede and a probably not lambskin, which makes a very fine suede on the reverse. These examples seem to be courser. I like the baggy trousers and field boots worn with a short jacket. I dress like this sometimes and would do so more often if people didn't do the moustache with the finger thing and goose step around shouting 'Sieg Heil!'. When did this stop being funny, by the way?

Alan

Windsock

A-List Customer
Alan, I forgot to mention that with regard to size and shape, John spends a lot of time with each order in making sure that it will suit/ fit you in every way- send him a pm if you are interested.

Yes I love that look as well, but in 1928 it was easier to get away with. Interesting to note how differently they dressed for the same flight from Harry Lyon the Nav, and Jim Warner the radio op. 83 hours in the same clothes...

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I like very much that the gentleman second from right is wearing a coat over his leather jacket. It makes it almost a sleeved waistcoat, and reinforces it being intended as a quite fitted garment, for use in layering.

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Andrew,

Yes, thanks. I have a high opinion of John as a collector whcih will easily translate into the same opinion as a manufacturer, I'm sure.

83 hours in the same clothes...sounds like some teenagers I know...

Alan

Windsock said:
Alan, I forgot to mention that with regard to size and shape, John spends a lot of time with each order in making sure that it will suit/ fit you in every way- send him a pm if you are interested.

Yes I love that look as well, but in 1928 it was easier to get away with. Interesting to note how differently they dressed for the same flight from Harry Lyon the Nav, and Jim Warner the radio op. 83 hours in the same clothes...

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Alan Eardley said:
I like the baggy trousers and field boots worn with a short jacket. I dress like this sometimes and would do so more often if people didn't do the moustache with the finger thing and goose step around shouting 'Sieg Heil!'. When did this stop being funny, by the way?
75 years ago this January 30th.

Rufus

Practically Family
Happy New year all!

Just got back from Tokyo today..

I'm still jetlagged and dazed, but happily in possession of a new BR wool A1 bought in Ueno.

It's a great lightweight jacket.

I'll post some photos this week..got to get some sleep first!

Oh.. I can't seem to log into VLJ.. It doesn't recognise my password... anyone else had problems?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred